HMS Pegasus - by Amati [COMPLETED BUILD]

Completed the copper plating of the hull but still have trouble where the hull meets the stem and stern. It's one of those things that will drive me nuts but no one will probably ever notice. I decided to go with black for the batten at the waterline. Found a nice piece of rosewood at the local Woodcraft store for the base, applied the finish and installed. Moving on to the bow. Bob's practicum and other builds really helped me here. Something that wasn't mentioned anywhere were the hawse holes. Drill them before parts 25, 26, and 27 are installed as they will get in the way of your drill forcing you to come in at nasty angle to avoid number 25. I would recommend going in the order of 127, 54, 120, drill hawse holes, then 26, 26, and 27.

Pegasus 045.jpg
Pegasus 046.jpg
Pegasus 047.jpg

The bow was a challenge for me. Just trying to figure out how all the pieces fit together was hard enough, but the tight bending and twisting required on some parts was the real headache. After a lot of soaking and hot soldering iron use, then breaking a few and remaking them, I finally got something pretty acceptable. Now that I see it close up in a photo I'll have to go back and make a few small adjustments. Pegasus 048.jpgPegasus 049.jpgPegasus 050.jpgPegasus 051.jpg

Looking good. I can’t wait till I’m done with the planking too. I’m going to paint the hull so any defects I can fix and it putty needs to be used it’s ok.

Looking good. I can’t wait till I’m done with the planking too. I’m going to paint the hull so any defects I can fix and it putty needs to be used it’s ok.
Thanks It amazing how the defects show up in photos. Pegasus sister ship HMS Fly has a white hull which look really nice.

Time to start working on the cannon. I didn't like the color/finish that came with the kit, (Item A), so experimented with a few other options. Tried JAX to blacken but it came out really patchy, some spots black some spots with no change at all. So I tried soaking them in acetone for an hour first. Being careful not to put my fingers on them, wiped dry with a clean rag then put them in JAX for 5 minutes (Item B). Next to a freshwater bath taking care not to touch anything. Putting a toothpick in the barrel kept the black from rubbing off, which is real easy to do. When they were dry I carefully brushed on a matte finish poly (Item C). Now I'm happy and can start working on the carriages. I sprayed the sheet of parts red before I cut them out to keep the detail from getting covered with globs of paint.
cannon prep.jpgAAC_4714.jpg

Stuck in the house for the last 5 days so got to spend a lot of hours on Pegasus. I was able to finish the quarter badges and the transom decorations. Really starting to look cool. I'll do the rudder next. Been putting off working on the guns bPegasus 056.jpgPegasus 057.jpgPegasus 058.jpgPegasus 059.jpgut looks like that time is getting closer. Need to at least do the ones under the fo'c'ole and quarter deck so I can start work on planking those decks.

Completed the rudder assemble last night. Next up will have to be some cannon so I can install the top decks.

Question for all you experts: What is the chain on the rudder for? I have seen it on other models and thought it looked great so add to my Pegasus. Some sort of backup in case a rudder breaks loose and doesn't float away?

Pegasus 060.jpg

Completed the installation of the cannons today. Now I can start working on the quarterdeck. I used 2.5mm blocks from Master Korabel for the gun tackle. As a mater of fact I replace all my kit blocks with Master Korabel blocks. Don't like the square kit blocks which usually have the holes drilled off center. The trunnion hinges are made from black construction paper. The rope coils are made by wrapping 5 turns of line around the shank of a 1/4" drill bit, a small drop of CA to hold it together, then sliding it off the bit directly onto the deck and CA it down. By rolling the bit between your fingers you can position the coil anywhere along the line. Be careful, too much glue and you're going to have trouble getting it off the drill bit. The cannon were cleaned by soaking in acetone, wiped dry making sure they were not touched with my fingers, the put in Jax blackening solution for about 1- 2 minutes. After a rinse in clean water and dried, a coat of clear matte poly was painted on.

Pegasus 066.jpgPegasus 067.jpgPegasus 068.jpg

Back