HMS Pegasus - by Amati [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well it took a while to get the two spare masts completed to my satisfaction. I'll permanently install them when the longboat is done. I have trouble squaring dowels. Got tired of drill and sandpaper routine to taper them so gave myself a Proxxon mini lathe for Christmas. Another learning curve. Will make lot s of shavings before I master it. Already found out walnut is soft and does not shape well. You need to finish the last .25mm with sandpaper to get the nicks and tool marks out. Didn't like the cast metal longboat the kit came with so bought the Master Korabel MK0101 kit. It was a pleasant surprise to find a set of english instructions in the kit this time. The last longboat I made for my Rattlesnake was all in Russian but I found a video on YouTube that showed the build and that was all I needed. The boat is 5mm shorter and 1mm narrower than the one supplied with the kit but will fit just fine. That's the next step in this build.Pegasus 097.jpgPegasus 098.jpgPegasus 099.jpg

The View attachment 196882 are really nice but the parts are really small. A nice challenge for just a few bucks. Here's the other one I did.
Outstanding work. I really dislike building the little boats with the tiny frames they are so tiny and fragile, but they do look better then Bread and butter boats. I usually take the parts off the sheets very gingerly because I know I'm gonna break a frame so at lease I have a template to make a new one. I also keep those sheets to make other little boats when needed. That's kind of the good thing about buying the little kits you really only need to buy one you can use the parts sheets and plans to make as many as you want. I saturate the sheet in CA glue to make it nice and ridged and put it in a ziplock with the instructions.

Outstanding work. I really dislike building the little boats with the tiny frames they are so tiny and fragile, but they do look better then Bread and butter boats. I usually take the parts off the sheets very gingerly because I know I'm gonna break a frame so at lease I have a template to make a new one. I also keep those sheets to make other little boats when needed. That's kind of the good thing about buying the little kits you really only need to buy one you can use the parts sheets and plans to make as many as you want. I saturate the sheet in CA glue to make it nice and ridged and put it in a ziplock with the instructions.
Interesting. Will keep the sheets just in case. Thanks for the info. See your photo is USS Constitution. Was aboard her in 1960 when I commissioned USS Macdonough (DLG 8) at the Boston Navy Yard. Wish I'd paid more attention and took lots of photos. Hindsight.

See your photo is USS Constitution.
Close, but this one is Constellation here in Baltimore where I live. I'm currently building it as the sloop while I collect everything for a scratch POF attempt at the Frigate version. It's been difficult research so in the end some areas such as the stern will be based on how Mr. Humphreys designed the other 5 Frigares he designed along with Constellation. I will be building Constitution as well eventually.

Close, but this one is Constellation here in Baltimore where I live. I'm currently building it as the sloop while I collect everything for a scratch POF attempt at the Frigate version. It's been difficult research so in the end some areas such as the stern will be based on how Mr. Humphreys designed the other 5 Frigares he designed along with Constellation. I will be building Constitution as well eventually.
Great! In Virginia Beach so I got to go on Constellation about 5 years ago. same problem. Wasn't into ship building at the time. Are you going to post a build? Would love to see how you progress. Just finished the Hornblower series and now into "Age of fighting sail" Lots of good stories on both ships. Charlie.

Great! In Virginia Beach so I got to go on Constellation about 5 years ago. same problem. Wasn't into ship building at the time. Are you going to post a build? Would love to see how you progress. Just finished the Hornblower series and now into "Age of fighting sail" Lots of good stories on both ships. Charlie.
I have a log going now for the sloop here on the forum. I'm using the Artisian latina kit as a base. I'll be making a log for the frigate version as well. I'm sure I will need some help along the way as it will be my first scratch POF. I have exp scratch building stick and tissue airplanes and I've built POF kits of ships so I hope that will at least serve me well. But I'm venturing into troubled waters with constellation because the original plans can't be had. Even Congress which was said to be identical has no original plans as well. It's IMO a criminal attempt to hide information with all the controversy surrounding the Constellation. My plan is to use the oldest plans I can find as a base along with measurements from the writing in articles to determine the best course of action. I'll be comparing information on all 6 of the vessels Mr. Humphreys at that time and come up with a final plan.

My thought on this is with automobiles you may have many models sitting on the exact same frame, or even the same model but in different body designs sitting on the same old frame as previous years models. I'm in the process now of looking over and comparing plans from Constitution with his other frigates. Again my though is Mr. Humphreys would have designed the frigates the same just up sized for larger ships. I've got 3 years of research into Constellation including news articles from the Baltimore sun and even tracking down relatives of Mr. Humphreys to see if they had anything. It was a crap shoot, but worth a shot.

I have a log going now for the sloop here on the forum. I'm using the Artisian latina kit as a base. I'll be making a log for the frigate version as well. I'm sure I will need some help along the way as it will be my first scratch POF. I have exp scratch building stick and tissue airplanes and I've built POF kits of ships so I hope that will at least serve me well. But I'm venturing into troubled waters with constellation because the original plans can't be had. Even Congress which was said to be identical has no original plans as well. It's IMO a criminal attempt to hide information with all the controversy surrounding the Constellation. My plan is to use the oldest plans I can find as a base along with measurements from the writing in articles to determine the best course of action. I'll be comparing information on all 6 of the vessels Mr. Humphreys at that time and come up with a final plan.

My thought on this is with automobiles you may have many models sitting on the exact same frame, or even the same model but in different body designs sitting on the same old frame as previous years models. I'm in the process now of looking over and comparing plans from Constitution with his other frigates. Again my though is Mr. Humphreys would have designed the frigates the same just up sized for larger ships. I've got 3 years of research into Constellation including news articles from the Baltimore sun and even tracking down relatives of Mr. Humphreys to see if they had anything. It was a crap shoot, but worth a shot.
I have a watch on your build. Been a while since you've posted. Must be you're out beating the bushes for Constellation material. I'm way to much of a beginner to attempt a scratch build. Still looking for paint and finishes I like not to mention getting proficient with mini power tools. I take criticism well so any comment much appreciated.

I'm recovering from medical issues so my energy and strenth are low ATM. I am working on the build though. Unfortunately the AL kits instructional sequence is horrible at best, so I am working on finalizing everything on the gun deck before I close that section off. I'm having to make all the carriages and cannons, a bit of bashing the kit which I didn't plan on doing at first. I'm also trying to keep things in a flow that gives me several steps ahead in thought so I have time to improve what I don't like about the kit. It's designed to be a frigate but there is to much wrong with it so rather then try and fix those issues I figured it's easier to just build it as the sloop which is much simpler bases on ALs design and since I can visit the ship for any info needed. I started planking it yesterday but don't have enough done for a post atm.

Working on the ships longboat. Nice break from Pegasus. Pieces very tiny and fragile so broke one right off the bat. Then took Joe's advice and soaked parts in CA before I did any cutting or sanding. Several parts have spots that come to sharp points and the connection to the sheet is within 1mm of the point. Just cutting the part from the sheet breaks off the point. Instructions adequate but those plus the Russian YouTube video is working pretty well. Pegasus 100.jpgPegasus 101.jpgPegasus 102.jpg

I'm recovering from medical issues so my energy and strenth are low ATM. I am working on the build though. Unfortunately the AL kits instructional sequence is horrible at best, so I am working on finalizing everything on the gun deck before I close that section off. I'm having to make all the carriages and cannons, a bit of bashing the kit which I didn't plan on doing at first. I'm also trying to keep things in a flow that gives me several steps ahead in thought so I have time to improve what I don't like about the kit. It's designed to be a frigate but there is to much wrong with it so rather then try and fix those issues I figured it's easier to just build it as the sloop which is much simpler bases on ALs design and since I can visit the ship for any info needed. I started planking it yesterday but don't have enough done for a post atm.
Looking forward to another post. Your tip about soaking the parts with CA helped a lot. I have a lot of holes to ream out but so far no more broken parts.

One more plank to go to finish the outside of the hull then some scraping and sanding to get a nice smooth finish. Next remove the frame so I can install the ribs, seat, etc. Depends on how the hull looks after I finish sanding as to whether I paint or just poly. Pegasus 103.jpgPegasus 104.jpgPegasus 105.jpgPegasus 106.jpg

Finished up the outside of the hull and applied two coats of matte poly. Also removed the internal frame which broke off a couple of pieces which need to be fixed. CA seeps into places where it's not wanted. Then I'll install the ribs, duck boards seats, etc.
Pegasus 107.jpgPegasus 108.jpg

Back