HMS Prince - Amati 1:64 by Vince P. Original 1978 Version

As you know, I just completed the Royal William. The Prince was a ship that was remodeled into the Royal William in the very early 1700's. Amati had a nice kit about 40 years ago of the Prince, but discontinued it long ago. I searched for a source for many years and finally found a fellow through this forum, who had the kit but never started it. I bought it from him a few years ago. Since the Royal William was a remodel of the Prince, to do a "Before and After Display" will be cool. The kit cost $600 back almost 40 years ago, so it is definitely a high end kit. As with the Royal William, I intend to greatly enhance the detail and rig her with full sails. There are a few modern kits available of the Prince, but none of them compare to this old kit, and the scale is big enough to go along side the Euromodel Royal William.
The kit came in a nice wood case instead of a cardboard box. Back then there was no such thing a laser cut parts, so looking at the kit, everything must be hand cut by saw and file. There are 34 bulkheads which is about double of modern kits and each and every one will have to be hand cut. I will definitely get my money's worth out of the my band and scroll saws. Virtually nothing is pre-cut. The amount of decorations appears to be quite extensive as well.

I am really going to enjoy this project.

The first photo is from a 1980 catalog showing this kit listed.

Vince P. Ship-1

1982-catalogue.jpgpict0005.JPGpict0006.JPGpict0007.JPGpict0008.JPGpict0009.JPGpict0010.JPGpict0011.JPGpict0012.JPGpict0013.JPGpict0014.JPGpict0015.JPGpict0016.JPGpict0017.JPGpict0018.JPGpict0019.JPGpict0020.JPGpict0021.JPGpict0022.JPGpict0023.JPG

Since there are so many bulkheads that have to be squared and each cut out by hand, I will need all the help I can get. I saw this Professional Building Slip advertised by a foreign company names Hobbyzone. I ordered one and built it. It is very sturdy and complex but is designed to facilitate constructing the framework of the hull and squaring it properly. The hull can be left in the slip once the framework is complete and the hull can be rotated in place for planking. I am going to give it a try.
All of the parts were laser cut and the construction consisted of sub-assemblies that had to be glued together. The instructions consisted of just photos in sequence. The photos are pretty small and I had to use a magnifier because it is possible to glue some of the parts in incorrect positions. Carefully examining the photos made it easy to construct without mistakes.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0001.JPGpict0002.JPGpict0003.JPGpict0004.JPG

I didn’t realize that kits like these existed. I’ve spent my life driving by garage and yard sales but seeing this kit may force me to pay more attention. I’ll be waiting with anticipation to see your progress. Just looks like an all-encompassing task that would be great to get emerald in. Glad the kit found its way into the hands of an appreciative builder.

Best of luck with it. Looks like you’re off to a good start.

Hi vince, I envy you.
This is one of the best kits that was out there, certainly for the hms Prince.
As a kid back in the 80s I looked at it in brochures for many many hours but at that time way out of my reach as it was the top together with the sergal sots.
I will definately enjoy your build, lots of succes.

I didn’t realize that kits like these existed. I’ve spent my life driving by garage and yard sales but seeing this kit may force me to pay more attention. I’ll be waiting with anticipation to see your progress. Just looks like an all-encompassing task that would be great to get emerald in. Glad the kit found its way into the hands of an appreciative builder.

Actually I found this kit on a forum. I just put it out there that I was looking for it and about 6 months later a fellow from Arizona was browsing the forum and sent me a message that he had it and would be willing to sell it.
So many hobbyists browse these forums, so if you need something that you can't find, put it out there. You have nothing to lose and only to gain.

Vince

@Vpirozzi Can you please provide a link for Professional Building board\slip for the SOS readers, just in case some interested? Many thanks in advance.
One thing to note: When I went to their website to order it, it would not allow it to be shipped to the USA because it was too heavy??. They have a link to override this, but it does not work. I emailed their support twice to ask for help but they never responded. Finally a friend of mine from New Zealand had it shipped to him and he shipped it to me. It cost way more to ship it than to buy it!

Vince

Hi Vince and everyone I bought both these slips and Vince you are correct, it is complex, i have not used it yet and i bought them about a year ago, so i am anxious to see your use of it, and when i BOUGHT IT I GOT IT FROM A USA SOURCE DO NOT REMEMBER TH COMPANY I THINK IT HAD SOMETHING LIKE IN POLAND BUT CAN NOT REMEMBER, also does any one think this will work on a POF BUILD FOR THE FRAMES. THANKS Don

Great project Vince,this kit was unavailable by the time I had the financial means to afford something like this.I was always in awe of it when I saw it in the catalogue.
I do have the plans and everything is available casting and fitting wise but doubt I will ever build it as my inventory exceeds my life expectancy considerably.
One question though,I do not understand why Amati want you to cut all the sections out of the bulkheads to replicate the deck beams?Being familiar with the design,this is not necessary to build the model as the dummy cannons are supported by wooden blocks glued to the inside of the planking.Yes the upper areas are necessary to inset the square castings but below decks I can only think this is to reduce the weight.I also have Amati's plans for Sovereign and San Felipe and neither have cut out bulkheads,however they are far fewer in number.
I wish you all the best,there are not many complete examples of this kit on the net.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Vince, Hope I am Not Hijacking your THREAD, one more question on the jig, I have taken mine out of storage and tested it my only problem is the bow and stern devices I can not tighten them down did you experience any of this IU was thinking of using wing nuts on the screws, what do you think. Don

This is a great kit. I had it ready to install the mast and begin the rigging when I came home and found that my dog had found a way to open up my case I was using to keep dust off between work session. She knocked it on the floor and proceeded to chew up the back end and the front end. She is a gorgeous ship that is hard to beat. Enjoy.

Back