HMS Serapis - Scratch Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

After some cancer radiation and 3 weeks of elk hunting in the Olympic Rain Forest(life's priorities), I'm back to working on the quarter-galleries. I placed some detailed carving. Now all I have left to do is the bottom decoration and frame the windows.

quatergallery montage 3 Oct 2021.jpg

After some cancer radiation and 3 weeks of elk hunting in the Olympic Rain Forest(life's priorities), I'm back to working on the quarter-galleries. I placed some detailed carving. Now all I have left to do is the bottom decoration and frame the windows.

View attachment 259516
Your work returning to the ship is nice but the priority question is how many points were on the rack of your Olympic Elk????? Meat in the freezer for the winter I hope. Rich (PT-2)

Your work returning to the ship is nice but the priority question is how many points were on the rack of your Olympic Elk????? Meat in the freezer for the winter I hope. Rich (PT-2)
Tag soup. Put a herd of 30, with 10+ legal bulls to sleep night before opening day. Opening morning, followed them through the thick stuff for a half mile. Got to within 30yds in a clear cut but a cow busted us. Had some close up (6ft encounters with a bear and a Mt Lion) also, so the archery season was a memorable one...fingers crossed I can connect with the bow during late deer season in CA.

Tag soup. Put a herd of 30, with 10+ legal bulls to sleep night before opening day. Opening morning, followed them through the thick stuff for a half mile. Got to within 30yds in a clear cut but a cow busted us. Had some close up (6ft encounters with a bear and a Mt Lion) also, so the archery season was a memorable one...fingers crossed I can connect with the bow during late deer season in CA.
Hopefully the common fogs and rain mist will be absent but they do keep the ground cover soft and quiet for stalking unless you are in a stand waiting and freezing in the humid cold. Best of luck to you. . . an to the elk from their perspective. 6 feet from a bear, even a small blackie can be unsettling. Lucky you were not between Mom and her cubs!!! Rich

First post on my build. I started in the 1980s, from plans bought from NMM in Greenwich. Kids stopped progress from late 80's, until recently. Being retired, I'm making good progress. i will dig through some photos to show recent progress.

I have a unique "workshop". When COVID broke out, we rented the house and took off in or 5th wheel trailer, which has been a unique place to work (see attached photo).

The museum curator who sent plans, replied they had no "actual" plans for the "unfortunate" ship Serapis but he sent the plans for Roebuck, which was the lead ship of thirteen 44 gun frigates, of which Roebuck was one. The plans list the thirteen shipyards the plans were delivered to and which ship each shipyard built. (see attached photo).

View attachment 210288View attachment 210289
Hallo @BradNSW
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Finally completed the port Quarter Gallery. I also stained the planking on the Quarter Gallery with WATCO Light Walnut, to see what the rest of the hull planking will look like, once stained. I like the contrast between the Light & Dark Walnut and how the oil makes the treenails stand out.quater galleries 29 Oct 2021.jpg

Finally completed the port Quarter Gallery. I also stained the planking on the Quarter Gallery with WATCO Light Walnut, to see what the rest of the hull planking will look like, once stained. I like the contrast between the Light & Dark Walnut and how the oil makes the treenails stand out.View attachment 265909
Your well crafted work makes my Kyrenia look like pre-school but the Bronze Ages were long before your ship so I will beg infancy. I like your contrasting wood tones. Rich (PT-2)

Your well crafted work makes my Kyrenia look like pre-school but the Bronze Ages were long before your ship so I will beg infancy. I like your contrasting wood tones. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks Rich. I took a look at your build log on Kyrenia and it looks incredible! Our rolling model shop passed through Oregon a few weeks ago, staying at Champoeg and Valley of the Rogue State Parks. We did the coast last fall and loved Bullards Beach...your state is as beautiful as your bronze age work!

Below picture is start of the Catheads. I hope to get the horizontal/vertical support knees done in the next few days, while a big snowstorm hits. In Dec, we returned to San Diego, celebrated our LAST Xmas with our daughters and sold our home of 25 years. The MOBILE model shop (5th wheel trailer and now our permanent home) is in Loveland, CO. Skiing soon!!
cathead carving 21 Feb 2022.jpg

Still making preparations to install the rudder assembly. It took two days to make the (over 100) tiny nails that will secure the metal bands. The metal bands were measured, cut and pre-drilled for the nails. I put a coat of zinc chromate primer on the metal prior to painting black. I hope to get the rudder hung in place by the end of the weekend.

rudder montage 10 Mar 2022.jpg

I believe a spacer (to simulate the hull planking thickness) will be required, under the straps.

In the 1st picture below, they did not use spacers to simulate the planking. In the 2nd picture, you can see the small spacers (by red arrow) that make up the thickness of the planks.

Do the spacers make sense to everyone?Stern with curl.jpgrobuck stern.jpg

Last edited:
I believe a spacer (to simulate the hull planking thickness) will be required, under the straps.

In the 1st picture below, they did not use spacers to simulate the planking. In the 2nd picture, you can see the small spacers (by red arrow) that make up the thickness of the planks.

Do the spacers make sense to everyone?View attachment 295507View attachment 295514
Makes perfect sense to me. Gudgeons rest on planking, not framing.

It is a personal choice and a question of taste, which parts the modeler / you want to show.
Technically it would be correct, that the hinge metal bands are installed on top of the planking.....
On the other hand, when there are 5 or 6 hinges it can look a little bit strange - so without the spacers it is looking better, but technically incorrect, that the are installed on the sternpost....
at the end I think it is a question of taste

Back