HMS Serapis - Scratch Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you for the nice comments Brad, I still have another couple of seats to add next to the round houses,

Best regards John,

Test fit of the forward bulkhead. Question...About 2/3 of the models have the bulkhead planks horizontal & 1/3 vertical (as I have done). Seems the models built during the period had the planks vertical. Anyone have thought? I would think the studs would be vertical and the planks laid horizontal but I can also see the studs bolted into the deck, and the planks laid vertical.

Fwd bulkhead.jpg

Test fit of the forward bulkhead. Question...About 2/3 of the models have the bulkhead planks horizontal & 1/3 vertical (as I have done). Seems the models built during the period had the planks vertical. Anyone have thought? I would think the studs would be vertical and the planks laid horizontal but I can also see the studs bolted into the deck, and the planks laid vertical.

View attachment 223482
Horizontal planking would have more supports with the vertical studs. It also would be more water tight with a combination of tongue and groove type of edging and caulked as with the hull. Vertical plank grooves would have water tightness problems in my mind. Rich

Horizontal planking would have more supports with the vertical studs. It also would be more water tight with a combination of tongue and groove type of edging and caulked as with the hull. Vertical plank grooves would have water tightness problems in my mind. Rich
Rich...makes a lot of sense. I'll keep it as is, unless I don't like the look, once I put the roundhouses in. Some real thin horizontal planking would be an easy do. From what I can tell in this photo, it seems the bulkhead planking would be vertical. Most contemporary models with HD photos, they are clearly horizontal. The second photo is contemporary build and they are clearly horizontal.

bow4.jpg

bow closeup 6.jpg

Rich...makes a lot of sense. I'll keep it as is, unless I don't like the look, once I put the roundhouses in. Some real thin horizontal planking would be an easy do. From what I can tell in this photo, it seems the bulkhead planking would be vertical. Most contemporary models with HD photos, they are clearly horizontal. The second photo is contemporary build and they are clearly horizontal.

View attachment 223621

View attachment 223630
For your model I really don't have any right or wrong . . . just do it the way that you think will look best and satisfy yourself. Rich

Also this bulkhead was a part of the protection against gunballs during an action - so like all hull timbers such n outer bulkhead is part of the wooden wall and should be planked horizontal like the normal hull planking.
The weakest part of a ships hull was every time the stern, with all the windows and galleries, although these windows were often additional covered with wooden lids.
But I think the bulkhead at the bow should be also horizontal planked

To check - click through the different planset reviews we have here - you will find drawings with the view towards such bulkheads -> all horizontal

Chris/Uwe,
I took your advice and made the fwd bulkhead planks horizontal. I also resized the doors (they looked too wide) and got rid of the false frame and opted to go with actual doors. Below is a montage of the bulkhead replanked horizontally with the doors cut out, the door construction, and the doors test fit in the opening. Tomorrow, I'll place hinges on the doors...paint is drying right now. I'll post a picture when the completed bulkhead is test fit.Fwd Bulkhead montage.jpg

Very good decision - also to use veneer for the adjustments -> Thumbsup

Thanks Chris and Uwe! Here is the bulkhead with doors and hinges being test fit. Now all that is left for the bulkhead is the top rail assembly.

Appreciate everyone's adivce, which is helping me up my modeling game immensely. Love this site!

View attachment 224502 input
The hinges look larger than I would have thought but I wasn't there so I cannot be critical. One interesting side bit about the "round houses" . . . my brother who has done very extensive research and exchanges of historical information on ships of war, particularly English and French of the Napoleonic ear wrote about "round houses" as being the heads provided by the foc'sl for the "before the mast" crewmen. The officers had their own aft and one reserved for the captain. Are these two on your ship those for the crew? We'll keep watching your progress. and incorporation of some very nice detailing. Rich (PT-2)

May I try to answer the question of @PT-2 .....
the able seamen had no closed seats of ease - they had to stay (and sit) outside in the weather
see the green arrows marking the seats of ease

bow closeup 6.jpg

The closed one´s like the round houses were reserved really only for officers and higher ranks.
BTW: The captain was often the only one, who had his toilet installed at the stern, next to his quarters in the quarter gallery. So he did not have to walk the long way to the bow

quarter22.jpg

In addition often these ships had also pissoirs on the deck, installed at the hull planking - so called piss dales
Unbenannt22.JPG

usually the stand everywhere - often shown in contemporary paintings, also during battles and action

toilet.png

Added the top-rail and covers for the roundhouses. Now I have to figure out the complex intersection with the mainrail curving to the bow, the top-rail, and the handrail on balusters above the top-rail. Lot's of complex angles!! Chris, the hinges do look a little wide and nail heads a bit large. It actually looks OK in place but I'll think about modifying them, after I get all in place. Got a good start on the bowsprit collar and supporting bollards today. Pics tomorrow, if I get it put together. Fwd bulkhead with top rail.jpg

Last edited:
The complicated Main rail installation! Finally got them pegged to the forward bulkhead (see two attached pics). Now the detailed and challenging work of aligning the lower rails and braces begin. Next pic I will probably post is when I get the Main rails forward edge pegged to the back of the figurehead area. Then I anticipate a few days of banging my head against the wall trying to align the lower rails and their supports/braces. I will also be installing the forward rail above the roundhouses and their supports/bollards. The bowsprit brace is not permanently installed, just placed for perspective.

Mainrail pegged to fwd bulkhead.jpg
Mainrail pegged at fwd bulkhead.jpg

Starboard Main, middle and bottom rail installed. Most photos I see show grating that meshes even with the upper rail. As I put the rails in and examined the plans, it looks like the grating on HMS Serapis is laid on the lower rail. That is the only way, as I started placing the rails that makes any sense. It appears the middle and Top Rail were more like vertical rails and the grating was laid on the lower rails. Thought and feedback, based on the plan photo and my pegged in rails would be appreciated. Most photos of ships show the grating aligning with the top rail. Good news, there is plenty of room for the seats of ease, outside the roundhouses.Rails from above.jpgRails pegged.jpgIt looks like Rails on plans.jpg

Put the top rail and bollards on the forward forecastle. Left picture shows my construction sequence: 1) Drill through the top rail, into the deck. 2&3) A peg is placed through the rail support, 4) The entire assembly is glued, including the bollard on top. Right picture show the completed rail (The rail does need another coat of dark walnut WATCO Oil and it will be complete. This takes time, but I believe it makes for a much stronger and durable rail.

Rail constructin sequence.jpg

Back