HMS Sirius 1786 Deck Cannon - Modellers Shipyard 1:20 [COMPLETED BUILD]

While recovering from my damaging escapade I wanted to keep doing a bit of modelling when I could.
The Revenge is still in dry dock while waiting to start on the rigging as it was going to be fiddly work which I wasn’t yet ready for.
My goal in the meantime was to build a small project and not worry too much about the finer details and just keep it light and breezy, it was really just to keep my mind and hands busy for now.
I happened to have this project in the cupboard which I was going to do after the Revenge but decided now was the time.

So here is a brief build log which I will pretty much just follow the instructions in the box with just a few small tweaks.

Below is a brief description, there is quite a bit of general information on the web and there is a museum on Norfolk Island dedicated to the wreck.

The H.M.S. Sirius was the flagship of the First Fleet that arrived at Port Jackson in 1788 along with the H.M.S. Supply.
Unfortunately the H.M.S. Sirius met it’s demise carrying supplies to Norfolk Island when it was wrecked on Norfolk Reef on the 19th of March 1790.
A bronze cannon and anchor were recovered from the wreck and installed in Macquarie Place Sydney in 1907.

This inscription on brass plate at the base reads:
This Gun is believed to have formed part of the armament of the HMS Sirius, the flagship of the first fleet, which entered Port Jackson in 1788.
The gun returned to Sydney after the Sirius was wrecked at Norfolk Island in 1790 and used as a signal gun at south head.
This gun was placed here in 1907.
Hallo @Richie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

A very happy birthday to you Richie! May you be granted good health to spend with your family and loved ones and plenty of years in which to entertain us with your fine model building! Happy birthday, young man!

Back