HMS Snake - Caldercraft - 1:64 - by BenD

Following your build log and enjoying your images and description. Well done nd very informative.

What an OUTSTANDING job, in my opinion! And it pretty much answered my question of what kinds of tools I would need to build a wooden kit. All the research I have done on wooden kits says that Caldercraft kits are probably the best wooden kits available, & this build log confirms it for me! Again, just a beautiful job!! Rick

Ben, great build, I like it!

Is it possible to redo or turn the gratings 90 Degree? The "run" is not correct this way :)

cheers

Dirk
Are the gratings are square can you help by saying what's wrong with them as they are ? ( not questioning you, just may help others if they like me don't know)

Second planking

I used binder clips to hold the bulwark planks. Then below that, I used head-bent planks with CA & PVA glue. The method of laterally bending planks with a heat gun works very well! I stopped planking carefully below the waterline because it gets covered by copper plates.

View attachment 298062View attachment 298063View attachment 298064View attachment 298065View attachment 298066View attachment 298067View attachment 298068View attachment 298069View attachment 298070View attachment 298071View attachment 298072View attachment 298073
I can think of a much better use of a Kronenbourg 1664 glass!;) (one of my favourite brews)

Up to date progress

I still need to drill some holes in a few places before I start gluing all the parts in. I plan on rigging the guns soon. I have all the blocks and hooks for it but now I also have some new rope to try out. I'm not looking forward to adding the chainplates to the channels... soldering is probably needed.

View attachment 298573View attachment 298574View attachment 298575
Hello, some thoughts, nothing to say to Curva

Ship 138.jpg

@Frank48 I'm just following the plans that Caldercraft gave me. The channels are positioned just below the gunwale. No scuppers are shown on the plan and I'm not brave enough to try and drill them out.

@Frank48 I'm just following the plans that Caldercraft gave me. The channels are positioned just below the gunwale. No scuppers are shown on the plan and I'm not brave enough to try and drill them out.
Hi Curva, I am sure of what you say, they are lack of design, your work is superlative

Back