HMS Snowberry, Revell

Ken

I've been building period wooden ships for a number of years but recently went off at a tangent for a change. I don't normally make plastic models but decided to make a few to try something different. I picked up a few off Ebay, they seem to go fairly cheaply, on learning this a friend gave me this model of Snowberry. It was a very old version that he had started the hull on more than 20 years ago, not being able to do it he gave up and put it into the attic where it stayed unloved. I decided to give it a go, as it was free I thought that it would be good to try out some weathering as I had never done any before, I had nothing to lose. I first thought the kit not very good, poor molding, not much fine detail and very questionable fit of parts but I went ahead with it and as it built up I began to like it very much. Yes it was an old school model, chunky and a bit simplistic lacking fine detail but it had a real character feel about it and with the extra effort needed it became a really enjoyable build.
The weathering was done by using only water colour, an old reeves tin of paints like a child would use and three water colour pencils. I really enjoyed this part as it brought the model to life.
My tangent has now led me to start building a train,an Occre 132 Pacific, wood and brass, I’m now doing a log on it.

_M0W3727.JPG

_M0W3729.JPG

_M0W3730.JPG

_M0W3731.JPG

_M0W3732.JPG

_M0W3734.JPG

_M0W3735.JPG

_M0W3736.JPG

_M0W3738.JPG

_M0W3739.JPG

_M0W3741.JPG

_M0W3743.JPG

Last edited:
I've been building period wooden ships for a number of years but recently went off at a tangent for a change. I don't normally make plastic models but decided to make a few to try something different. I picked up a few off Ebay, they seem to go fairly cheaply, on learning this a friend gave me this model of Snowberry. It was a very old version that he had started the hull on more than 20 years ago, not being able to do it he gave up and put it into the attic where it stayed unloved. I decided to give it a go, as it was free I thought that it would be good to try out some weathering as I had never done any before, I had nothing to lose. I first thought the kit not very good, poor molding, not much fine detail and very questionable fit of parts but I went ahead with it and as it built up I began to like it very much. Yes it was an old school model, chunky and a bit simplistic lacking fine detail but it had a real character feel about it and with the extra effort needed it became a really enjoyable build.
The weathering was done by using only water colour, an old reeves tin of paints like a child would use and three water colour pencils. I really enjoyed this part as it brought the model to life.
My tangent has now led me to start building a train,an Occre 132 Pacific, wood and brass, I’m now doing a log on it.

View attachment 280333

View attachment 280334

View attachment 280335

View attachment 280336

View attachment 280337

View attachment 280338

View attachment 280339

View attachment 280340

View attachment 280341

View attachment 280342

View attachment 280343

View attachment 280344
Ken, I’m in the process of building the same ship. I’ve got the same version that I bought about 6 months ago on EBay. I agree with all of your comments about the quality of the kit. The plastic is brittle, the fit has some challenges, the details are clunky. However, the challenges are nothing by comparison to the experience of building a model of a ship that historically was so important to the Allied cause and instrumental is saving lives of the merchant seamen who braved the North Atlantic to transport people and cargo across submarine infested waters.

My biggest issue is the color scheme. I’ve seen so many different versions that I’m in a quandary about which one to use. Your build is a beautiful example and I think it’s the best one I’ve seen so far. Would you mind sharing what you used as reference? Thanks in advance…
Peter, from across the pond and then some…

Reactions: Ken
It looks great and I love the weathering, Ken. A old fashion ship give a lot more fun. What about a high standerd stealth-destroyer? Only right lines, no railings etc etc. No, its all about details! And you have made them.
So, please more of this!
Regards, Peter

Reactions: Ken
Ken, I’m in the process of building the same ship. I’ve got the same version that I bought about 6 months ago on EBay. I agree with all of your comments about the quality of the kit. The plastic is brittle, the fit has some challenges, the details are clunky. However, the challenges are nothing by comparison to the experience of building a model of a ship that historically was so important to the Allied cause and instrumental is saving lives of the merchant seamen who braved the North Atlantic to transport people and cargo across submarine infested waters.

My biggest issue is the color scheme. I’ve seen so many different versions that I’m in a quandary about which one to use. Your build is a beautiful example and I think it’s the best one I’ve seen so far. Would you mind sharing what you used as reference? Thanks in advance…
Peter, from across the pond and then some…
Hi Peter, Thanks to yourself and all the others for responding so favourably to my Snowberry. I agree with you about the bravery of the sailors who manned these ships in such a time, I believe they were terrible to serve in, wet, uncomfortable and dangerous vessels just thrown together for the duration, hats off to them.

With regards to the colours used, I didn’t do any research I just copied the box art as near as I could and went with what I felt looked right. I was given about seven tins of Humbrol matt enamel with the kit, these were ones that my friend bought with the kit, they were also from 2000, they hadn’t been opened and surprisingly they had not gone off. I wouldn’t normally use enamels but these were free, I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent result that they gave. They were light grey, light green, light blue and white, I mixed them to the colours that you see in the pictures. For the weathering I used four water colour pencils, the orange being the most used and a tin of watercolour paints. With the pencils I drew in where I thought the rust would most likely occur using three of the colours, orange being the dominant one. I loaded my brush with a VERY diluted wash of black, keeping the brush very wet I stroked over the pencil colours downwards letting the wash run the colours together as it ran and gave that subtle streaking. Being water colour it was easily wiped off with a damp tissue if you didn’t like the effect, sometimes the wiping off left the streaks looking even more convincing. On the flat deck surfaces I puddled in a muddy black very wet wash in no particular direction and let it dry, and then some white splashes in areas. The whole lot was then coated with a matt varnish. This whole process wasn’t at all messy like oils in fact it was more like just painting a watercolour picture, In think the secret is to be subtle and build up the colour, this was fun.

With regard to the actual build, the only change to the kit was dumping those horrid brown rods that are supposed to pass as railings. I used thread instead, fixing it with cyno at one end and then the other, when it was fixed I glued it to each stanchion in turn again with a light touch of cyno, and then painted it. The circular rail around the forward gun I used brass wire curving it to shape before gluing it to the uprights, then for the non slip surface around the gun I cut out a circle from a sheet of wet and dry.

Good luck with yours, although a poor kit the result was way above expectation and it is without doubt a kit that I would happily make again.

It looks great and I love the weathering, Ken. A old fashion ship give a lot more fun. What about a high standerd stealth-destroyer? Only right lines, no railings etc etc. No, its all about details! And you have made them.
So, please more of this!
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter, thanks very much for your nice comments, I hadn't expected this model to be so well received, I'm quite surprised at its reception

Back