MarisStella - New Kit HMS Speedy 1:48

www.marisstella.hr/eng

Maris Stella Ltd is pleased to announce the addition of the HMS Speedy, HMS Vensejo and HMS Sophie Brig-Sloops, in 1:48 scale, to its model ship kit line. Speedy and Vensejo have been heavily researched. HMS Sophie is our version of the fictional Brig-Sloop, representing a combination of the two, described in a novel by Patrick O'Brian. The Maris Stella kit version of HMS Speedy uses the sail plan, rigging, armament and flagging as of her original commissioning. To maximize authenticity, we have freshly designed all cannon, carronade and swivel guns for the three kits, each of the type, weight and time frame appropriate, using Armstrong and Blomefield construction formula, historical patterns and photos of antiques.

Maris Stella kits are suitable for intermediate level modelers. For those who want to go a step beyond, we are providing copper hull plates, details on period appropriate stains and paint schemes, and rigging rope diameter information. Anticipated order of release is Speedy, Vensejo and Sophie, in that order, in a time frame from 2018 through the first half of 2019.

This HMS Speedy model will be a market-class leader. Our three-dimensional modeling of the Admiralty draughts and the kit’s plank on bulwark hull construction with 19 bulkheads makes it easy for even casual modelers to achieve the original hull lines with great accuracy.

At this time, I only have permission to show a few of instruction book draft 3D renders of HMS Speedy. Note how the model achieves the novel look and feel of the Speedy-Class Brig!

_10a HMS_Speedy.jpgPhase 1..._Page_29.jpgPhase 1..._Page_30.jpgPhase 1..._Page_34.jpgPhase 1..._Page_37.jpg

Regards,
MarisStella model ship kits

Last edited:
These are very interesting new projects you plan to issue!

The HMS Speedy is the 1782 launched Speedy class, or?
A 14-gun sloop of war, and not the 1828 cutter, based on the contemporary painting showing the 14-gunner.......
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...me-events-in-history.2104/page-180#post-61678

One question related to the HMS Vensejo:
Is it this spanish captured Brig Sloop with 18 guns?
I found at the NMM this drawing

j4330.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with inboard detail and longitudinal half-breadth for Port Mahon (captured 1798), an 18-gun brig sloop found building at Port Mahon when the port was taken. The plan also relates to Vensejo (captured 1799), a captured Spanish 18-gun brig sloop. There are some differences in gunwale heights between the two brigs. The plan is signed by Robinson Kittoe as 'acting Storekeeper 1798' at Mahon
https://collections.rmg.co.uk/colle...el-357989;browseBy=vessel;vesselFacetLetter=V

I made a short History post on the 19th of March, the date, when the ship was captured by the british (here also some paintings of the vessel)
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...me-events-in-history.2104/page-140#post-56847

Very interesting projects - I am looking forward to hear much more about your kits - please keep us informed.

BTW: Welcome to our forum!!!

It is the HMS Speedy Brig-Sloop, Speedy Class Brig, ordered 1781, launched 1782, commissioned by Captain Young (Wikipedia and Rif Winfield missed this) and recomissioned (1783) under Josias Rogers. She is the ship that fought El Gamo. Most of the drawings of El Gamo are inaccurate for her class of Spanish Xebec hull.

That is indeed the Vensejo/Vincigo, etc., type-ship and the only plan of her (Maris Stella is working from the purchased high-res version) although the RMG has several paintings that point the direction to what the Spanish would have actually used at that time. Additional research (and Spanish translation) went towards filling in the plethora of missing details to produce a model with maximum historical authenticity. That said, I would be very interested in any reference sources you have on Vensejo (please let them be in English...).

Vensejo and Speedy are light-years apart in design, yes, so there is a lot to look forward to with the Maris Stella HMS Sophie.

Last edited:
Even though they are not 1:48 ,sitll interesting subjects from the mediterrain area.
I agree here with Zoly.......And I think, that both scales have their customer......
Definitely it is a great step by MarisStella to work on british ships also in 1;48

It was mentioned that the Speedy will have 19 bulkheads, this is an incredible number and will make building much easier. Thanks for that!!. Will either of the other two, Vensejo or Sophie possibly be plank on frame models? If they are can I pre-order along with the Speedy? ;)
Don ,you mean plank on bulkhead?

Well yes it does take a lot of work I cannot deny that. I then think how many times I have read on this forum how the "western" manufacturers have fallen behind the "eastern" ones in quality and detail.
So I am saying I am tired of hearing this and I can think of no one better than MarisStella to take the big step and prove this statement wrong. I would love to see a kit come out of MarisStella that would rival any eastern kit in quality, detail and price. My money will go "west" much sooner than it will go "east".
And that is how I feel!!

Well yes it does take a lot of work I cannot deny that. I then think how many times I have read on this forum how the "western" manufacturers have fallen behind the "eastern" ones in quality and detail.
So I am saying I am tired of hearing this and I can think of no one better than MarisStella to take the big step and prove this statement wrong. I would love to see a kit come out of MarisStella that would rival any eastern kit in quality, detail and price. My money will go "west" much sooner than it will go "east".
And that is how I feel!!
Don,there is one Pof kit from Hachette/Amati La Belle 1:30,partwork ,1200 euro

Our new series of ships will be all plank on bulkhead with many changes from the selection of kits we now offer. We are now too far into these projects to change over to plank on frame kits.
The thought of doing plank on frame kits has been discussed, however, we decided at this time we will wait and see what the interest is in these kits.
The thought of doing a plank on frame is an exciting one as they are not that hard to do and it would be a very enjoyable project. Also the cost of 1,000 to 1500 Euros/kit we thought may be a little cost prohibitive to most. Please tell us how you feel and if enough interest is there our next project could very well be a plank on frame ship.
As I mentioned they will be all 1:48 scale and will come with kit specific cannons, carronades and swivels plus many other new additions.

Our new series of ships will be all plank on bulkhead with many changes from the selection of kits we now offer. We are now too far into these projects to change over to plank on frame kits.
The thought of doing plank on frame kits has been discussed, however, we decided at this time we will wait and see what the interest is in these kits.
The thought of doing a plank on frame is an exciting one as they are not that hard to do and it would be a very enjoyable project. Also the cost of 1,000 to 1500 Euros/kit we thought may be a little cost prohibitive to most. Please tell us how you feel and if enough interest is there our next project could very well be a plank on frame ship.
As I mentioned they will be all 1:48 scale and will come with kit specific cannons, carronades and swivels plus many other new additions.
This sounds very interesting - and I can fully understand and follow your thoughts - we all will try to assist and share our opinions, due to the fact, that we, as customers have a big interest, that manufacturers are offering models which fullfill our needs and expectations Thumbs-Up

Back