HMS Surprise 1:48 from ZHL

I am returning to modelling after 30 years with this first model in wood, though in between I have been working with wood construction on a larger scale (small buildings, furniture, etc.).

For my first model I decide that a scale of 1:48 would give me the level of detail I love, and also be more forgiving for a beginner. The starting point is the Surprise kit from Chinese maker ShiCheng Models and sold by ZHL.

I debated for a long time before purchasing this kit because on some other forums there has been criticism of Chinese model kit makers not respecting copyright.

However, after much searching I could not find any direct proof that this Surprise kit had been copied from an existing model - either with permission or without permission. After all, the draft plans by Marshall are available for purchase at the NMM. All I could find was general accusations.

The parts are very accurately laser cut and the hull planking is ready splined, and I believe this could only achieved from a 3D CAD model. There is certainly nothing like it on sale by other manufacturers.

An unboxing video can be found here:
ZHL Surprise presentation

IMG_3930 2.jpg
THE GOOD

The dimensions of the hull and the positioning of the gunports, hatches and masts correspond exactly to plans by KH Marquardt once they are scaled to 1:46. This is the true scale of this kit.

To my untrained eye the quality of the supplied wood and the accuracy of the laser cut part seems very high. The boxwood carvings for the figurehead, stern carvings and other ornaments are lovely. The brass guns, anchors, bells and copper plating stickers, wooden blocks and in general all the supplied parts are of a high quality.

A huge plus is that the planking of the hull is of a high quality basswood and is ready splined, so even for a beginner one can achieve a very nice result. There is also supplied strips if one wishes to make a second planking.

Masts and spars are ready shaped.

Delivery from China was fast and very helpful.

IMG_3920.jpgIMG_3918.jpgIMG_3921.jpgIMG_2019.jpgIMG_3925.jpgIMG_3926.jpgIMG_3927.jpg

INACCURACIES

The kit seems to be a cross between the plans of the original Unité by John Marshall, and the replica HMS Surprise (Rose). The figurehead and stern carvings are exactly from the replica ship.

As in the replica ship the forward gunport is missing for the main battery and on the forecastle. The position of the hawseholes are too low - again similar to the replica ship
I am returning to modelling after 30 years with this first model in wood, though in between I have been working with wood construction on a larger scale (small buildings, furniture, etc.).

For my first model I decide that a scale of 1:48 would give me the level of detail I love, and also be more forgiving for a beginner. The starting point is the Surprise kit from Chinese maker ShiCheng Models and sold by ZHL.

There are many stanchions and pillars in the waste that shouldn’t be there and serve no purpose, and the knees of the deck are very small.

The armament consists of long guns in two sizes, 55mm and 48mm. I believe at 1:46 this would correspond to a 9-pounder and 6-pounder (roughly 8ft & 7ft)?

Deck planking is 0.5 mm strips of teak 80mm in length. Very nice, but not accurate in length or type, and impossible to make any caulking.

Two pairs of chain pumps. Nice to have a spare!

I haven’t got to the rigging and sails yet, but the supplied thread looks very shiny and like plastic, and the sail material is thick.

IMG_3924.jpgIMG_3923.jpg
IMG_3917.jpg

THE STRANGE

A main feature of the quarterdeck is a chicken coop! There are parts and detailed instructions to build this. I would have preferred a binnacle…
This makes me think that this kit has been copied without understanding from an existing model.

THE BAD

The instructions are a joke. 16 pages of photocopied line drawings that fall from their binder at once. The instructions are more like a map of where you should get to, but not HOW to get there.

The order they suggest is very misleading. For example, they suggest you install all the armament and deck fixtures before you start planking the lower hull.

The frame plywood is very thin (4mm) and for the upper bulwark it is only 1mm.

IMG_3928.jpg

CONCLUSION

In principal, there is everything in the kit you need here to build a model ship if you don’t mind about historical accuracy. But surely a buyer who is going pay 1000 euros for a kit would also be interested in accuracy?

Personally, I always knew I would be using the kit as a base and I bought this because of the quality and detailing of the laser cut parts, and I don’t regret it for this.

If I hadn’t had some previous experience of modelling and a lot of experience with building with wood it would be impossible, and to be fair the manufacture also says this is for experienced modellers.

Learning from this forum, and researching historical accuracy has been a huge part of the fun!!!

I have long wanted to see the construction of this model.They actually scolded the model at a scale of 75. 48 scale is a very good model.We will wait for the construction review.We will wait for the construction review.As they say, feel the difference.

1-48.jpgHe4ae4be85f4d4c2bb55ea0738a33347cs.jpgT2iRhLXbFaXXXXXXXX_!!58805468 (2).jpgT2zks_XiJXXXXXXXXX_!!58805468.jpg

I wanted to say that the buyers of the 75 scale model are dissatisfied with the quality of the set. The 48 scale model is much better.

I wanted to say that the buyers of the 75 scale model are dissatisfied with the quality of the set. The 48 scale model is much better.
Thank you for the clarification. I:48 is obviously a bigger scale for the model, as for the quality. everyone has their own opinions and preferences. :cool:

a very good review - many thanks for posting and sharing with us

Back