HMS Surprise 1/48 scale built by neptune

This is a re posting of a build that I did some years ago, I hope you enjoy it,

I started this build a while ago and had to put it aside due to circumstances, the start of my previous log was lost during the big crash last year, then all my other photos were lost when my own PC crashed, so this log is being started with new photos of where I am at the moment, I am just about finished my build of the Duke of York and I will then be continuing this build log of the HMS Surprise.

When I was given the kit to build, the person who bought it got it off ebay, so there were quite a few things missing, the main things being the plans, also a lot of the wood was'nt there, most of the fittings were there, so here we go.

the first pics show the hull planked and coppered, the copper plates I bought from The Model Dockyard in England.

1.jpg
Head on view

2.jpg
Starboard bow

3.jpg

Head gratings

4.jpg

waist view

These next photo's show views of the figure head and deck, the first pic shows what I got in the kit for a figure head, the second shows a white metal figure from a chess set and the third is after cut it off the base and trimmed it, I milled a slot down the back for it to fit on the stem.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

All the planking was missing from the kit, I had some nice clean pine that I ripped down to size and planked the decks with that.

15.jpg
Pair of blocks I made up for the cat heads, the hooks and bands were made out of hammered copper wire.

16.jpg
Skylight made up from the kit.

17.jpg
Bitts made up from scrap wood.

18.jpg
Focsle and quarter deck railings made from scrap wood and kit balustrades.

19.jpg
Ships wheel from kit and scrap wood.

20.jpg
belfry, top of belfry from kit and the turning were made from spare parts out of my slops chest.

26.jpg
turning the supports for the upper tops, I turned them and then sided them with a file, I then split them in half and glued them in place under the upper tops to support the trestle tree's,

27.jpg
two views of the masts and bowsprit in place, just sitting there not fixed.

28.jpg

Been working on the yards, attaching the stun sail yard gear,

29.jpg
Fore and Main yard inner holders, these just needed filing out and then were super glued in place,

30.jpg
Fore top and Main top inner holders, on these ones I had to cut through the band so I could expand them to fit and then they were super glued in place, the cut needs cleaning up still.

31.jpg
all of the wire pieces on the outer holders were bent and when I tried to straighten them they broke off

32.jpg
so to solve the problem I cut off the wire and filed them smooth and super glued them in place,

33.jpg
then I drilled a hole right through the band and stunsail yard,

34.jpg
I then super glued a piece of brass wire through the complete band and yard and cut off the excess.
35.jpg
I then bent and trimmed the wire to size, this is on the stun sail yard,

36.jpg
Then I drilled a hole into the end of the yard, this shows the holder in place,

36.jpg

37.jpg
Another pic of same,

38.jpg
The four yards with there holders in place, only the inner holders are glued, I will glue the outer ones when all the blocks, foot ropes etc have been attached.

She is a nice ship to build, only problem I have with it is the lack of plans, the guy I am building it for bought it off ebay and the plans were missing along with a lot of the wood, so I only have the instruction book to go by, but I'll get there,

best regards John.

G'day all, made a start on the wooldings, its probably been shown before but here it is again,

39.jpg
first I make a loop

40.jpg
then I take eight turns around the mast

41.jpg
then I pass the end through the loop

42.jpg
then I pull the end of the loop rope

43.jpg
it pulls the loose end up into the wooldings, a little bit of pressure to tighten everything up

44.jpg
the finished woolding
45.jpg
the three masts finished

46.jpg
next is the rubbing paunch, spaces cut

47.jpg
in place

48.jpg
blocks under the top, I wrap these with black wire and take the wire up through the top and glue them in place,

G'day John
Even though it's a old build, you are still showing us your 'modeling knowledge'. I like the woolding pictorial instrument!
Keep up the great work.

Keeponmodeling
Greg

57.jpg
Another selection of views of the deck, all the deck timber was missing from the kit, so I cut all new from Pine,
There were supposed to be three sections of gratings, but I had to cut one set out otherwise they were going
right up to the bitts,
58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg
Just to show the scale

61.jpg

62.jpg

Last edited:
63.jpg
The deck rails for going across the waist area, I drill up into them and glue brass pins and thats how I secure
them to the decks,

64.jpg

65.jpg
for the shorter rails where there are sheaves involved I drill between the posts and use small brass nails,

66.jpg
Both rails gl;ued in place,

67.jpg
The fore bitts and kegs,

68.jpg
The belfry i made up out of some spare wood stanchions I had,

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg
View of the waist area,

76.jpg
View of the quarter Gallery and the drop, still more decoration to add,

77.jpg
The figurehead after painting,

78.jpg
This and the next pics show me adding the shot racks, i made them with a small strip of wood glued underneath
to raise them from the deck a little bit,

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

87.jpg
I had plenty of this preformed strip and this what I used for the entry steps,

88.jpg
I cut them all with my North West Chopper,

89.jpg
Ran a bit of tape lightly down the side as a guide,

90.jpg
a couple views of the boarding steps,