HMS Surprise 1801 1:72scale Shicheng Model [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is my current progress. I am trying to make her more like a French ship. I used a lot of Belle Poule parts. There are a lot of things that are wrong because I have many versions of the ship's blueprint. As for the engraving, I asked some friends for their opinions. They said that the engraving is difficult to verify. It is even possible that there is no engraving on the real ship. I appropriated the engraving of Belle Poule.

That’s a good looking model, is that a POF Enterprise below it in the glass case? Never mind I looked on page 1 and got my answer…. Both very nice, your skill is obvious and impressive!

Last edited:
From my point of view, I've made a strange mix of Anglo-French ships
To have somehow a mixture of french and english parts is not so wrong, especially for the "real" HMS Surprise, due to the fact, that she was originally the french friagte L´Unite (1794) and captured in1796

Unbenannt.JPG

After capture she was refitted by the british, but before remeassured and there are still contemporary drawings at the NMM existing.

Especially interesting is this drawing showing the stern decoration and also the figurehead

j6091.jpg

Unite (1796)​

Scale 1:48. Plan showing the body plan with sternboard decoration and name in a cartouche or stern counter, sheer lines with inboard figurehead detail and longitudinal half breadth for for Unite (1796) a captured French Frigate fitted at Plymouth Dockyard prior to fitting as a 32-gun, Fifth Rate Frigate. Signed J. Marshall. (Master Shipwright)

The following drawing is showing her in the english appearance after coppering

j5948.jpg

Lines & Profile​

lines & profile
Signed by John Marshall [Master Shipwright, Plymouth Dockyard, 1795-1801]
NMM, Progress Book, volume 5, folio 268, states that 'Surprize' arrived at Plymouth Dockyard on 21 January 1798, was docked on 15 February to be recoppered, and launched on 2 March. She sailed having been fitted on 2 May 1798 having cost £6,992.

I believe that the first drawing (Unité 1796) is a different ship to the Unité that became the Surprise. The rake of the stem and stern are quite different, as well as positioning of the number 1 gunport.

I believe she is in fact the 12-pdr frigate Gracieuse launched in 1785 and renamed Unité prior to her capture by the British in 1796. See Boudriot: History of the French Frigate 1650-1850 p.137 & 157.

Thank you for the drawings that you published. In fact, I also collected a lot of drawings of different versions or similar ships of the same class. In short, according to my understanding, I think that even if the versions are different, the real ships are definitely different from the ones in the movie.

Thank you for the drawings that you published. In fact, I also collected a lot of drawings of different versions or similar ships of the same class. In short, according to my understanding, I think that even if the versions are different, the real ships are definitely different from the ones in the movie.
The NMM draft of HMS Rose 1757 used for the 1970 replica built in Canada. She had a few cosmetic changes for the film, the beak and fighting tops, and was renamed Surprise.Rose 1757.jpg

Last edited:
Back