HMS Surprise - Mamoli 1:75 Build

Hi all...FINALLY getting back to the shop. My next question deals with the planking above the gun ports up to the bulwarks supports. There is absolutely nothing in the directions that day how many planks to go up, and the only picture in the instructions shows 3 planks at the stern. I am guessing that is correct, with 2 on the forecastle...? And...are these the limewood planks or the finish planking?

You're right about those three planks above the top of the gun ports. That's three finish planks, it's gonna be a number of limewood planks sufficient to do the job. What I mean is:

I ended up doing a lot of looking at the full-sized sheet showing the ship in profile and from above looking at the deck. I took lots of measurements and did the best I could. These are the salient points as I see them:

-A square stock trim piece goes above those three finish planks above the gun ports, then one more finish plank above that trim piece brings you to deck level. I only laid down the trim piece forward and aft of the middle section of the hull, where there is no railing.

-The deck level curves up as it proceeds aft. But the height of the railing on the poop is the same, so further rough planking with the limewood (and finish planking on top of the rough) should be tapered.

-From the gun ports up to the railing you should have limewood rough planking sandwiched between finish planking on the outer hull and inside the bulwarks.

-Same goes for the forecastle except no need to taper the planks.

-Decide how high you want the railing to go based on your cannon/carronades. Note that there is a cutout for each of the cannon, kinda like a partial gun port....does that make sense? You'll figure it out based on the profile view of that full-sized plan sheet.

Bottom line is that I probably spent as much time staring at the full-sized plan sheet as I did actually working on the ship.

Hallo @PapaRonn
we wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Surprise going? Any progress, or maybe some help needed?

Hallo @PapaRonn
we wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Surprise going? Any progress, or maybe some help needed?
Just re-started, I finished Rattlesnake and a side project, a San Francisco cable car. Getting closer to starting to mast.

Back