HMS Terror

Greetings!
I’m new to modeling, but have the three Model Shipway tutorial boards under my belt. I’m working on the deck of the Terror, getting ready to place the “lights” (grommets). For the life of me I cannot figure out how to transfer the grommet placements from the plans onto the actual deck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Measure from set points of the deck. By using a compass and measuring from 2 different points. you should be able to triangulate a location. The closer to 90 degrees the measuring points are, the more accurate your location will be.

Measure from set points of the deck. By using a compass and measuring from 2 different points. you should be able to triangulate a location. The closer to 90 degrees the measuring points are, the more accurate your location will be.
Thank you Corsair (my favorite WWII aircraft). To avoid marking up the deck with multiple arcs, should I cover with tape?

You can use blue painters tape of cheap drafting tape to cover the deck to prevent stray marks.

Another option is to get drafting chalk that some craftsman and artists use, which comes in many colors and can be wiped away easily after you use of the marking is completed.

Depending on where on the ship your marking and what your final version of finish is, I have seen a few Masters use chalk not only to "mark the spot" but afterwards give the chalk dust a swirl around to help provide accent to joints or wood seems and then seal it into the final kit. In my model railroading hobby we call it "Weathering".

You can use blue painters tape of cheap drafting tape to cover the deck to prevent stray marks.

Another option is to get drafting chalk that some craftsman and artists use, which comes in many colors and can be wiped away easily after you use of the marking is completed.

Depending on where on the ship your marking and what your final version of finish is, I have seen a few Masters use chalk not only to "mark the spot" but afterwards give the chalk dust a swirl around to help provide accent to joints or wood seems and then seal it into the final kit. In my model railroading hobby we call it "Weathering".
Those are great suggestions. I could see some finishes being impacted with the adhesive. And, I’ve wondered how to accomplish weathering.

Why not try tracing paper on 1:1 Scale Plans.

Greetings from Singapore. New member and recent started ship modelling.

Completed:
Occre Hercules

Underway
Occre Endurance

In Pipeline
Terror and Erebus

The deck was just a tad smaller than the printed plans. I found a couple of good reference points and used a compass to triangulate the location of the first hole. From there it was a cinch.
Dan

Back