HMS Victory (1765) - Artesania Latina

I purchased my AL kit of HMS Victory early in 2019 off of eBay. I paid $600 for it (which is about the average cost that I see).

Overall, I am happy with the kit. I really like the beauty in the different variety of woods. My initial intention was to paint the entire model the battle colors at the time of Trafalgar in 1805. However, I wanted to show some of the wood's patterns and shades. Thus, one side of the hull is left unpainted (which is as the kit was designed) and the other half painted. It's almost been like building 2 models at once. The deck work is also, for the most part, unpainted. It's been interesting thinking of how to blend the painted portion with the unpainted. I wanted the blending to come across as natural as possible regardless of the viewer's perspective.

I also chose to build out the lower gun deck with full carronades versus using a "fake" lower gun deck. This was all done because I wanted to put in lights to all 3 gun decks and transom.

So far, I'm about 1300 hours into the build. I can foresee needing that much time to get through the rest.

IMG_0010.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0129.JPGIMG_0138.JPGIMG_1927.JPGIMG_1985.JPEGIMG_2105.JPEGIMG_2125.JPEGIMG_2126.JPEG

One more current picture with her nearly completed masts in position. Her true colors on her masts were a different color (I choice a light ivory) than the stripes on her hull (I chose random tan).

You can see the dust case in the background that I built using 1/2” PVC and thin plastic. There are 3 long hair cats in my house, so a lot of protection is needed.

1F5FA3EA-90E7-41D7-BFCD-B3FAFFEE23AE.jpeg

The ivory colour is a very nice idea! The rendering of these masts is really very good. :cool:

One more current picture with her nearly completed masts in position. Her true colors on her masts were a different color (I choice a light ivory) than the stripes on her hull (I chose random tan).

You can see the dust case in the background that I built using 1/2” PVC and thin plastic. There are 3 long hair cats in my house, so a lot of protection is needed.

Great Job Ron nice work I am looking forward to your progress.

Last edited:
Fantastic work! Starting this kit myself!
I have a quick question for you since you're starting on the Artesania Latina Victory....how many big sheets of plans came in your kit (ie, plans besides the instruction book)? I have 3 big sheets (2 of them have printing on both sides, but 1 of them only has printing on one side). Then there's a smaller sheet with printing on both sides with bowsprit details.

I'm wondering if I'm missing 1 more big sheet of plans. I'm wondering this because I see that there's about 30 double blocks attached to eyebolts that are placed onto the channels alongside the outside of the ship. However, from the big sheets of plans, I can only see 8 of those double blocks taking part in the rigging. So, I'm wondering if I'm missing a sheet that contains rigging that uses the other double blocks on the channels.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

I have a quick question for you since you're starting on the Artesania Latina Victory....how many big sheets of plans came in your kit (ie, plans besides the instruction book)? I have 3 big sheets (2 of them have printing on both sides, but 1 of them only has printing on one side). Then there's a smaller sheet with printing on both sides with bowsprit details.

I'm wondering if I'm missing 1 more big sheet of plans. I'm wondering this because I see that there's about 30 double blocks attached to eyebolts that are placed onto the channels alongside the outside of the ship. However, from the big sheets of plans, I can only see 8 of those double blocks taking part in the rigging. So, I'm wondering if I'm missing a sheet that contains rigging that uses the other double blocks on the channels.

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Hello Ron, Unfortunately mine is the De Agostini version of the kit which comes with instruction booklets only. I've been trying to source plans for the AL kit because they are virtually the same. No luck so far. I think you can find a link online for the rigging and masts through Model Space.

For all these double pulleys, you have to take into account those used behind the mast shrouds, hooked onto the shroud holders. These are the cap shrouds which reinforce the hold of each mast, and each of the 3 parts of each.

Unfortunately, I only have the FR edition of the Altaya (ModelSpace - deAgostini) mounting files, but I think it can really help you.
Maybe those files are still downloadable as ENG files on their website.
In the meantime, I attach a link to my French version of the part you're interested in. ;)
https://www.grosfichiers.com/GUAmwNx9PWL

Edit :
all pdf files here in english language (Pack 11 for you) : https://www.model-space.com/gb/hms-victory-full-kit.html

Last edited:

Thanks in advance,
Ron
If anyone comes across this posting and also is building the Artesania Latina HMS Victory (Ref 22900), after some additional searching, I found the following online post showing the full sets of rigging plans for the kit. The good news is that it appears I have the right set of plans. Mine set matches what I found posted...

https://www.slideshare.net/CRF1/hms-victory-construction-plan-by-artesania-latina

I purchased my AL kit of HMS Victory early in 2019 off of eBay. I paid $600 for it (which is about the average cost that I see).

Overall, I am happy with the kit. I really like the beauty in the different variety of woods. My initial intention was to paint the entire model the battle colors at the time of Trafalgar in 1805. However, I wanted to show some of the wood's patterns and shades. Thus, one side of the hull is left unpainted (which is as the kit was designed) and the other half painted. It's almost been like building 2 models at once. The deck work is also, for the most part, unpainted. It's been interesting thinking of how to blend the painted portion with the unpainted. I wanted the blending to come across as natural as possible regardless of the viewer's perspective.

I also chose to build out the lower gun deck with full carronades versus using a "fake" lower gun deck. This was all done because I wanted to put in lights to all 3 gun decks and transom.

So far, I'm about 1300 hours into the build. I can foresee needing that much time to get through the rest.

Hallo @Rmazdra
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I thought it was time for an update...

After being inspired by several folks on SOS who have done some amazing work, I decided that I was going to redo the stern for my current VICTORY project.

The plans for the stern and the included ornamentation that came with the AL kit was not very good. For the stern windows, AL included a thin plastic sheet that was yellow and the window frames were printed with black on the yellow sheet! At the time, I decided to make my own window frames instead and used clear plastic instead of the yellow. Unfortunately, the wood I had was impossible to work with to make a 9-pane window.

So, I had to do a lot of searching for alternatives. I came up with a solution for making the 9-pane windows. I got very thin strips of plastic that allowed me to cut notches and piece together the frames. The plastic didn't splinter and held up well. I knew I would be painting them, so the white plastic wasn't an issue.

In the process of searching for a solution for the windows, I considered the possibility of designing my own 3D drawings for the ballusters. But then, I found nirvana...

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/victoryparts

Someone out there has already done the 3D design of many of the ornamental parts of VICTORY and Shapeway offers them in many different scales. Initially, I purchased just the ballusters for the stern and side gallery. After installing them, they looked so good that I went and purchased a new figurehead and the stern banner. All in all, I wound up spending about $200 for the 3D printed parts. That seems a bit pricey, but I think the results are worth it.

NOTE: If you consider ordering from Shapeway, measure the space on your VICTORY very carefully. Even though you're model might be a 1:84 kit (or 1:72, or 1:100, or whatever), the ornamental metal pieces that came with my kit were not really 1:84 in scale. I actually had to order a 1:48 figurehead because that essentially matched what was in my kit (since I was replacing what was already installed, so I needed to keep the same scale).

I'll attach some pictures of the before & after of the stern and bow.

And now, back to my shroud rigging. I took a detour on the stern and bow for about 2 months.

IMG_0066.JPGJ3SqXaWqSRCIElF55acpkg.jpgIMG_0169.JPGvaNf7K75R16Odgy5qdIX7g.jpgviUHPu%UQQG71WOfFBmy0g.jpg

Dear @Rmazdra
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
PS: Are you still working on your Victory? Maybe you show us an update of your work?

It's been almost a year since I posted any pictures of my Victory build. I've started on the standing rigging in Aug'20. A year later, I've gotten in all the shrouds, backstays, bobstays, and the fore and main stay. I realize I may be up again quite a challenge getting all future lines rigged and tied off with all these standing lines permanently in place, but I'm in no hurry. I figure I'll become quite the expert using my long tweezers and 12" ear polypus.

I invested in the books "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by Longridge and "Rigging Period Model Ships" by Petersson. Longridge gives me a written description of all the rigging with some good detailed diagrams. Petersson's book is nothing but drawings of all the lines of a typical English warship of the period - something I really needed to help give me the visual of every rigging line and how it is routed and tied off. These kind of details weren't in the Artesania Latina kit plans.DBE7E59B-F85F-400F-90BF-F0975CE69AC7.jpeg3A8D71C0-97BB-4CEF-8238-A5412C935B19.jpeg65A5D7B0-6625-4DF3-9C5A-027B1692A290.jpeg68D1999D-491C-4349-AA22-0B32DA8F25F6.jpeg3419EC5B-7A9D-4EF9-AD3F-6631354FF6DC.jpeg96C4123E-37EC-443F-8F7C-D197445DD947.jpegD1A132C0-F23A-43C2-9833-56905A9805CE.jpeg

Back