HMS Victory build - Mantua/Panart 738 by Daliab - [COMPLETED BUILD]

All channels and lanterns installed.
Anyone notice the difference between the number of deadeyes that are on the model's middle channel and what is shown on the blueprints?
Only one of a number of inconsistencies between the model and the instructions/blueprints supplied

20200702_135646_resized.jpg

20200702_140253_resized.jpg

20200702_140213_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone notice the difference between the number of deadeyes that are on the model's middle channel and what is shown on the blueprints?
Only one of a number of inconsistencies between the model and the instructions/blueprints supplied
View attachment 162089

View attachment 162090

View attachment 162091
They can say every time, that the numbers and location of the deadeyes changed during her career

Looks like you gave your Victory the new yellow color. Did you specifically went for this instead of the darker Ochre. Like it very much.

Maarten, When I was looking for the Ochre paint, I was having a hard time finding a source that had the paint in stock.
I ordered Vallejo's yellow Ochre but it looked way to much of a bright yellow compared to the pictures of the normal Victory, which is what I was looking or.
Then I found a source for Admiralty Yellow Ochre paint but it looked to orange. I ended up going with the Admiralty paint because it was more of a subdued color compared to the bright yellow. Didn't want my Vic to look like a bumblebee with yellow/black.

Paint used in the below picture....
Top is Floquil Engine Black. Middle color is Admiralty's Yellow Ochre (AP9115W).
Bottom color is Vallejo's Yellow Ochre (70.913).
Wood used: L-R a light Mahogany, Walnut, regular Mahogany.

Older pictures of the Victory was more of a yellow color but the newer color scheme is more of the middle color.
Surprised by the stark difference between the two yellow ochre colors.
1.jpg

Working on the bow and found an easier way to thread the rigging around the bowsprit. Didn't have a needle long enough to thread the rigging around the the bowsprit but ended up gluing the thread to a thin piece of wood and used it as the needle. Sure made it much easier.
20200705_171008_resized.jpg 20200705_171222_resized.jpg 20200705_173412_resized.jpg

20200706_182401.jpg

Last edited:
On my very first model, I put sails on it that were fully deployed. This time, I decided to put sails on the Vic but have them furled. This is my first attempt to add them to a ship furled. I didn't want to hid all of the rigging. I tried this a couple of times and didn't like the sails so tight against the yards and ended up with is pictured below. I wanted the sails to be a little loose to show some of the sail. Any thoughts on my attempt to furl the sails on the bowsprit?

20200708_153102_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be like this example

not so loose they would look like these
Exactly! Hard finding the middle ground to make them look like your example. Lots of do and redo to get them the way you envision. Think on the main masts, I'm going to wash the fabric to get the newness out of them and see if that loosens up the fabric to allow them to lay the way I want.

Some short time ago we had a discussion about sails in the topic of @Ab Hoving when he gave us a tip about extremely thin sail cloths

photos of the material
navara_fine_lawn.jpg navara_fine_lawn_1.jpg

Maybe with using finer cloth you can achieve easier and more realistic furled sails ........

Maybe with using finer cloth you can achieve easier and more realistic furled sails ........
It is all about "scale". Most sail materials used in kits and such are much too thick for a proper scale appearance. They would be more like a winter blanket than a sail. For the most realistic sails we need to find the thinnest material possible as discussed above. My hat is off to modelers that rise to the challenge of building a model with sails!!!

You are doing very well by this model. However, as I am building just the bow section (same company probably similar plans) , I am deeply disappointed by the lack of accuracy.For example, I divided the figurehead into 7 pieces and reshaped and reassembled it. The beak/stem is weird. Was this designed from memory, without the aid of photos or let alone visiting the ship itself? Were there copyright issues? Again this is a build to be proud of, but research is fun. Even looking at the internet will produce much food for thought and kit bashing/improvements. Sorry to vent my frustrations.

Back