HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Can anyone provide me with the dimensions of the HMS VICTORY'S pumps? I am building the Corel cross-section model which doesen't even address them at all. This model is totally inaccurate and I am having to build a lot of missing items from scratch. Longridge and McCay, two very often-cited books on the HMS VICTORY, do not give the actual dimensions. McCay really only shows the positions and Longridge contributes only about a paragraph with no dimensions. I have downloaded several pages of the De Agostini version but I can only estimate the dimensions by assuming that the grid lines on the base on which the pieces are being assembled are 10 mm apart. That would make that model's version about 25 mm long by around 15 - 18 mm wide. I can convert this from that model's scale to 1/96 if I have the correct H, W, and circumference of the circular parts.
It's a fiction delivery even on the missing part of the gunwales at chains, as well the wrong position of waist's ladderway... .

Last edited:
Can anyone provide me with the dimensions of the HMS VICTORY'S pumps? I am building the Corel cross-section model which doesen't even address them at all. This model is totally inaccurate and I am having to build a lot of missing items from scratch. Longridge and McCay, two very often-cited books on the HMS VICTORY, do not give the actual dimensions. McCay really only shows the positions and Longridge contributes only about a paragraph with no dimensions. I have downloaded several pages of the De Agostini version but I can only estimate the dimensions by assuming that the grid lines on the base on which the pieces are being assembled are 10 mm apart. That would make that model's version about 25 mm long by around 15 - 18 mm wide. I can convert this from that model's scale to 1/96 if I have the correct H, W, and circumference of the circular parts.
Good morning. I am not clued up on these on the Victory. As with most Models of the Victory I did not include these on my ship. Sasha @Alexander74 is super clued up on this ship and he may have this answer for you. Enjoy the build she is a beautiful ship to build. Cheers Grant

I've run across that problem in the past. I used to get angry. Now I remind myself that assuming it was an unintentional error and asking help to solve the problem works for me-unless proved otherwise.
Good morning. True story. I also just take it was it is. Unfortunately for me getting stuff to SA either costs and arm and a leg or takes 6 months to get here. I will get my other main entrance one day:D. Cheers Grant

Good morning. Finally I continue with my Victory. It is rather fitting that she returns to my shipyard on Coronation Day of King Charles. She is no longer “Her majesty ship” but His Majesty Ship Victory ;).

Ok enough Blah blah. Started the redo of the stern railing decoration. Ripped off the horrors I attempted:

89E4DE34-6F18-4934-B121-A19B4C32A8A1.jpeg
Redid with the new 3D printed parts :

Before :
1E4DAF67-3BB7-4327-86CB-E5619752035C.jpeg
After :
5059C083-1164-456B-B14E-6D9300765B96.jpeg
Before :
51F015FD-5DAF-4754-90AC-E1C62053C06E.jpeg
After :
7348B793-E2C1-4237-B2C8-16DF186AE4D6.jpeg
Cheers Grant.

Good morning. Finally I continue with my Victory. It is rather fitting that she returns to my shipyard on Coronation Day of King Charles. She is no longer “Her majesty ship” but His Majesty Ship Victory ;).

Ok enough Blah blah. Started the redo of the stern railing decoration. Ripped off the horrors I attempted:

View attachment 373136

Before :
View attachment 373137
After :
View attachment 373139
Before :
View attachment 373141
After :
View attachment 373140
Cheers Grant.
Looks fantastic. Really like the depth that those new parts provide.

Hi Alexander. Thanks for this. I am aware of this. As mentioned in my log the Mantua kit in many cases does not reflect an accurate representation of the Victory in detail. My build objective is to attempt a good model. For me the most glaring inaccuracy is the gun ports (the brass) and wale positioning. However I am enjoying building my first ship- Cheers
Hi Grant, the wales are wrong in this kit, they should pass over some gun ports. I have this kit 'in waiting', which, when I get to it, I'm intending to try getting said wales in their correct placement.

Looks fantastic. Really like the depth that those new parts provide.
Much better, it was worth it.
WOW!!! These improvements are stunning Grant, way to go!
Good you guys. The stern always frustrated me and even tho I attempted to make these, they just didn’t do it for me. Still loads of touch ups but starting to look good.
Hi Grant, the wales are wrong in this kit, they should pass over some gun ports. I have this kit 'in waiting', which, when I get to it, I'm intending to try getting said wales in their correct placement.
Good morning Stuart. Absolutely. Besides the shape( even that is up for debate )most things are inaccurate with the Mantua kit. I eventually tossed the Mantua plans but by that time the wales and many other inaccurate aspects had been done. It is still a cool kit to build tho but if you want an accurate Victory, scratch building, plenty extra wood and resources will be needed. I had so much fun building my Victory. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant

View attachment 373136

Before :
View attachment 373137
After :
View attachment 373139
Before :
View attachment 373141
After :
View attachment 373140
Cheers Grant.
Hi Grant
Absolutely stunning
Congrats

View attachment 373136

Before :
View attachment 373137
After :
View attachment 373139
Before :
View attachment 373141
After :
View attachment 373140
Cheers Grant.
The stern looks great!

BOOM! That's a fantastic improvement Grant. The scale is much better, the details much finer, the overall look more authentic. Now she looks the part of a ship rather than a model.
Good morning Paul. Thank you. The Mantua stern was always my bug bear. I hacked it, bent it, opened it up and then attempted to make those railings but just couldn’t get it right. That and the side entrance just continuously jumped out at me so I “cheated” and got some 3D parts. Still a total rookie attempt but does not detract from my Victory anymore. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant

Hi Grant
Absolutely stunning
Congrats
Definitely an improvement.
The right decision made, Thumbsup
It also looks more orderly now. You didn't just slap them on with glue like I do!
The stern looks great!
Awesome job. Congratulations.
Good morning Guys. Thank you very much. It’s is way better and I can live with it now. Cheers Grant

Back