HMS Victory (POB)

WOW! JonB. Amazing work of art. Very grateful for showing high quality photographs showing so many details. I was looking for those details for a long while as I am working on rigging of my 1:90 scale Victory. What literature did you use to do the rigging of this Victory? How did you manage to decide making it with no sails? Neither fully opened nor furled?

WOW! JonB. Amazing work of art. Very grateful for showing high quality photographs showing so many details. I was looking for those details for a long while as I am working on rigging of my 1:90 scale Victory. What literature did you use to do the rigging of this Victory? How did you manage to decide making it with no sails? Neither fully opened nor furled?
Hi, thanks for your comments. I followed C Nepean Longridge’s book “The Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships” which has good descriptions of the rigging layout as well as “Rigging period ship models” by Lennarth Peterson. My inspiration was Longridge’s model in the Science Museum in London - which has no sails.

Your model is one the absolute best representations of the Victory I have ever seen. Anyone building Victory, even if from a kit, and does not have and use Longridge's book to supplement the kit instructions is at a great disadvantage in trying to produce an accurate model which you have clearly done.
Congratulations!
Allan

Your model is one the absolute best representations of the Victory I have ever seen. Anyone building Victory, even if from a kit, and does not have and use Longridge's book to supplement the kit instructions is at a great disadvantage in trying to produce an accurate model which you have clearly done.
Congratulations!
Allan
Thank you Allan. As you can see from the timeframe on the plaque - it was a labour of love. I made the binnacle from a piece of original oak acquired from Victory.

I made the binnacle from a piece of original oak acquired from Victory.
I envy you!!! I would love to find pieces that are available with a certificate of origin for any 17th or 18th century vessel tp use on a model of that ship.
Allan

Looking at this amazing Victory model I am looking forward to see your work on the La Venus in a detailed building log, which is by the way one of my favourites from Jean Boudriot. Do you have also the planset of the framing made by Fissore?

Looking at this amazing Victory model I am looking forward to see your work on the La Venus in a detailed building log, which is by the way one of my favourites from Jean Boudriot. Do you have also the planset of the framing made by Fissore?

Hi Uwe

Yes I have the full plan set from Ancre at 1:48 and have received my first order of Dark Swiss Pear from hobbymill.

Hi Uwe

Yes I have the full plan set from Ancre at 1:48 and have received my first order of Dark Swiss Pear from hobbymill.
Beautiful choice - sounds very good :cool:
Please start a building log - a lot of modelers would be very happy to see your work and would follow your journey with this project.
Never mind, if there will be another 20 years like with your Victory ;)

Back