HMS Victory severely damaged in squall !

Here is my Heller 1:100 Victory, built at least 20 years ago, my first sailing ship build. She fell from a ledge about 9 ft high because of a strong wind caused by a fan in conjunction with an air cleaner.

HMS Victory was damaged in a gale....with severe damage to her rigging. The bowsprit was destroyed as well as her fore top and topgallant masts, main topgallant mast, and mizzen mast. She will be going into dry dock for a long repair !

Or, I may re-build her from a new kit......still debating.
Alex RosasE427493D-BD46-4EC7-839A-5729833A5560.jpeg

Sorry to see this.
It is more or less her status after the battle at Trafalgar, when she lost her topmasts and the mizzen mast.
I am so sorry ......

Sorry, but I could not resist to search for some views in paintings

pw5883.jpg
The eighth, but last in order of events, of a series of ten drawings (PAF5871–PAF5874, PAF5876, PAF5880-PAF5881 and PAF5883–PAF5885) of mainly lesser-known incidents in Nelson's career, apparently intended for a set of engravings. This and PAF5881 are exceptions in terms of their subject. Pocock's own numbered description of it in a letter of 2 June 1810 (see below) is: '8. Storm the Day after the Battle the "Victory" under Courses Endev[ourin]g to Clear the Land. The "Royal Sovereign" in Tow by the "Euryalus" &c. &c.' The view is towards the coast of Spain off Cadiz, with the lighthouse at Rota in the centre left distance, and 'Victory' heading towards it in stern view over the tow-line. To the right are disabled enemy ships, including prizes, some being cast away in the post-Trafalgar storm. For the rather complex circumstances of the commissioning of these ten drawings, and Pocock's related letters, see ' View of St Eustatius with the "Boreas"' (PAF5871). PAF0021 is a related pencil drawing by Pocock of the same subject. Signed and dated by the artist in the lower right. Exhibited: NMM Pocock exhib. (1975) no. 54.

2788.jpg
Victory... in the Gale that succeeded the Battle of Trafalgar, the remains of... Nelson on board (proof) (PAH8036)

l3571_001.jpg

l3571_002.jpg
Scale: Unknown. A model of HMS Victory (1765) made in plaster with wood, metal, paper, and cotton fittings which has been realistically painted. The model depicts the vessel at 1.40pm on 21st October 1805 at the height of the Battle of Trafalgar and the ship is shown with damage sustained in the battle. The ship is three masted, ship rigged and with set sails, showing shot damage. The mizzen mast is broken and the mainmast is partly broken. Dark grey smoke is shown billowing from the deck. The hull is painted black with white stripes along the three gun decks and an additional red stripe along the upper gun deck. The deck is painted white and with the fittings painted black. .There is an elaborately carved and gilded figurehead and stern. A white ensign is flying from the peak of the gaff, a Union flag flying from a halyard rigged to the bowsprit, a cross of St George flying from the top of the foremast and part of Nelson's Trafalgar signal flying from a halyard, rigged to the foremast.

d2575.jpg
With its loose handling and unfinished areas, this watercolour is likely to be a preparatory work for the large oil painting exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1853, the second of Stanfield's paintings of the battle of Trafalgar. The subject is 'Victory' towed into Gibraltar by 'Neptune' seven days after the storm which swept many ships into the bay between Cadiz and Cape Trafalgar. The exhibited oil, with its subsequent pair of the 'Siege of San Sebastian' were bought by Sir Samuel Morton Peto MP, the railway contractor who had erected Nelson's Column for his house, Somerleyton Hall, Suffolk. In 1862-4 Morton went bankrupt and sold the House with contents to his friend, Francis Crossley MP, the Halifax carpet manufacturer whose son became the first Lord Somerleyton. It is now run by the current Lord Somerleyton as an inderpendent historic house open to the public, the Stanfield pictures being in the dining room. (See also BHC2511).

Thanks a lot UWE. I will keep the ship as is, maybe even put some holes in the hull ! It will be my Trafalgar model. I will build a new Victory (same Heller model).....using sails, cannon, and wood blocks from HIS model Co..
I have so many projects now; I am busier now than before I retired. ( I should change my SOS picture also-the one here is about 37 years old, and I don't look like that at all..it was taken when I was 32 years old.

Keeping your model as post Trafalgar is an interesting option. Another thought is to turn it into an admiralty model...strip away the masting and rigging and enhance the hull and deck furniture.

My first ship model (cutty sark-plastic-urgh!) was also destroyed by force of nature- small children!!

View attachment 127675
The eighth, but last in order of events, of a series of ten drawings (PAF5871–PAF5874, PAF5876, PAF5880-PAF5881 and PAF5883–PAF5885) of mainly lesser-known incidents in Nelson's career, apparently intended for a set of engravings. This and PAF5881 are exceptions in terms of their subject. Pocock's own numbered description of it in a letter of 2 June 1810 (see below) is: '8. Storm the Day after the Battle the "Victory" under Courses Endev[ourin]g to Clear the Land. The "Royal Sovereign" in Tow by the "Euryalus" &c. &c.' The view is towards the coast of Spain off Cadiz, with the lighthouse at Rota in the centre left distance, and 'Victory' heading towards it in stern view over the tow-line. To the right are disabled enemy ships, including prizes, some being cast away in the post-Trafalgar storm. For the rather complex circumstances of the commissioning of these ten drawings, and Pocock's related letters, see ' View of St Eustatius with the "Boreas"' (PAF5871). PAF0021 is a related pencil drawing by Pocock of the same subject. Signed and dated by the artist in the lower right. Exhibited: NMM Pocock exhib. (1975) no. 54.

View attachment 127676
Victory... in the Gale that succeeded the Battle of Trafalgar, the remains of... Nelson on board (proof) (PAH8036)

View attachment 127677

View attachment 127678
Scale: Unknown. A model of HMS Victory (1765) made in plaster with wood, metal, paper, and cotton fittings which has been realistically painted. The model depicts the vessel at 1.40pm on 21st October 1805 at the height of the Battle of Trafalgar and the ship is shown with damage sustained in the battle. The ship is three masted, ship rigged and with set sails, showing shot damage. The mizzen mast is broken and the mainmast is partly broken. Dark grey smoke is shown billowing from the deck. The hull is painted black with white stripes along the three gun decks and an additional red stripe along the upper gun deck. The deck is painted white and with the fittings painted black. .There is an elaborately carved and gilded figurehead and stern. A white ensign is flying from the peak of the gaff, a Union flag flying from a halyard rigged to the bowsprit, a cross of St George flying from the top of the foremast and part of Nelson's Trafalgar signal flying from a halyard, rigged to the foremast.

View attachment 127679
With its loose handling and unfinished areas, this watercolour is likely to be a preparatory work for the large oil painting exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1853, the second of Stanfield's paintings of the battle of Trafalgar. The subject is 'Victory' towed into Gibraltar by 'Neptune' seven days after the storm which swept many ships into the bay between Cadiz and Cape Trafalgar. The exhibited oil, with its subsequent pair of the 'Siege of San Sebastian' were bought by Sir Samuel Morton Peto MP, the railway contractor who had erected Nelson's Column for his house, Somerleyton Hall, Suffolk. In 1862-4 Morton went bankrupt and sold the House with contents to his friend, Francis Crossley MP, the Halifax carpet manufacturer whose son became the first Lord Somerleyton. It is now run by the current Lord Somerleyton as an inderpendent historic house open to the public, the Stanfield pictures being in the dining room. (See also BHC2511).

I'm amazed at the research it must have taken to find & show these paintings. From the bottom of my heart, THANKS!

View attachment 127675

View attachment 127676

View attachment 127677

View attachment 127678

View attachment 127679

I'm amazed at the research it must have taken to find & show these paintings. From the bottom of my heart, THANKS!

Back