HMS Victory Sloop 1/16' - Panart [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well its been a while since my last log.

Took a break from Wood after the Alert to try my hand at other media.
I built the 1/350 HMS hood from Trumpter & the Artesania Latina 1:16 Sopwith Camel

Net Result:

HOOD - Hats off to those who build 1/350 and all the intricate PE bending. - New Skills - PE processing & bending. Ship completed. I'll pass on future plastic.

Sopwith Camel - OMG. The new AL kit buildsing process of Photos only on PDF was a Challenge. Final result kit looks great but lots of expletives in a lockdown world.
I'll stay away from AL unless there is major change.

So, with lockdown ending forever in Vic AUS on Friday at 6pm ( We reach 80% vacination) its time to get back into WOOD!

This will be my part 1 of 3 Nelson journey with the HMS Agamemnon as part 2 & the HMS Victory as part 3 (Both Ships the large CC versions). That should last me the next 5-6 years.

Anyway with that said I will be back shortly with some images & the log. ( Camera battery still charging.)

Well, I am echo Brian and looking forward to your build log! ;)

But..., how come we have not seen your build lo of either Hood or Sopwith Camel or both? We didn't have a single photo of the completed models, Paul :confused: I mean, we didn't lock down SOS for posting photos... :p Anyhow, looking for your upcoming project.

Hi Jim
I will post pictures of the Hood & Sopwith. If I had done a log of the Sopwith, it would have consisted of just 4 letter words like FUNK,CANT,SHOT etc.

Many thanks for posting your model photos. Perhaps, you can post more images in the section of completed models. I would love to see details on both Hood and Sophis.

BTW, great start, I will be happy to watch the progress

Zooming along.

The kit is not a Plank on Bulkhead, nor is it a plank on frame. Its a plank on plank on template. A very big version of ship kits boats.
As such the initial setup has to be done differently and planned.

Afer using the pans to identify the parts, a dry fit was done.
This was very accurate and needed no sanding or packing to fit perfectly. The template bulkheads fitted on the false keel and then were aligned by an addtiional false deck template ( For want of a better word as there is NO deck to speak of.)
P1010043.jpeg

The first bulkhead and the fore keel supports were then faired. The keel supports( guides) were then cut partially through to allow break off later
P1010039.jpeg
The instructions now suggest that you need to glue the template bulkheads to the keel and the false deck nailed to the burkhead.
As the planking is NOT glued to this but only to the bow keel , stern & each other, the template has to be sturdy but removed later.
Gluing and nailing would make very difficult to remove and potentially lead to damage of the hull.

The only parts that get glued to the keel are the final bukhead at the stern and the lower portion of the keel plank templates( which brake off at the top- hence earlier cut.)
P1010037.jpeg
Keith Julier in his Period ship series suggested screws and wires.

The false deck was marked to show the bulkhead with, drilled and a single screw placed in each to hold firmly.
P1010030.jpeg
P1010042.jpeg
Two additional holes were drilled in the deck in thee locations and 3 single holes in the keel below where they would not be seen later.
Wire then placed through the holes and twisted to lock the keel to the template bulkheads. This makes a sturdy form for planking.
P1010040.jpeg
Lastly the bow keel templates were placed in position and the lower section below the cut line was glued to the keelP1010044.jpeg
Next the bulkheads and keel template are waxed from 1-7 on the edges so that the planks do not stick to them.

Coming next Triple layer planking! ( or so it seems)
As this is 1:16 there is no hiding any mistakes! so planking will be slow.

Till next time

Last edited:
Zooming along.

The kit is not a Plank on Bulkhead, nor is it a plank on frame. Its a plank on plank on template. A very big version of ship kits boats.
As such the initial setup has to be done differently and planned.

Afer using the pans to identify the parts, a dry fit was done.
This was very accurate and needed no sanding or packing to fit perfectly. The template bulkheads fitted on the false keel and then were aligned by an addtiional false deck template ( For want of a better word as there is NO deck to speak of.)
View attachment 265281

The first bulkhead and the fore keel supports were then faired. The keel supports( guides) were then cut partially through to allow break off later
View attachment 265278
The instructions now suggest that you need to glue the template bulkheads to the keel and the false deck nailed to the burkhead.
As the planking is NOT glued to this but only to the bow keel , stern & each other, the template has to be sturdy but removed later.
Gluing and nailing would make very difficult to remove and potentially lead to damage of the hull.

The only parts that get glued to the keel are the final bukhead at the stern and the lower portion of the keel plank templates( which brake off at the top- hence earlier cut.)

Keith Julier in his Period ship series suggested screws and wires.

The false deck was marked to show the bulkhead with, drilled and a single screw placed in each to hold firmly.
View attachment 265286
View attachment 265280
Two additional holes were drilled in the deck in thee locations and 3 single holes in the keel below where they would not be seen later.
Wire then placed through the holes and twisted to lock the keel to the template bulkheads. This makes a sturdy form for planking.
View attachment 265279
Lastly the bow keel templates were placed in position and the lower section below the cut line was glued to the keelView attachment 265282
Next the bulkheads and keel template are waxed from 1-7 on the edges so that the planks do not stick to them.

Coming next Triple layer planking! ( or so it seems)
As this is 1:16 there is no hiding any mistakes! so planking will be slow.

Till next time
Your fairing at this stage should put you in a good position to begin planking. Test wales before actual banks of planks will be your quality check making the first layer in position for the following ones which may amplify any distortions in the first layer. You have a good start. Rich (PT-2)

Planking going well for first layer. Wood bends easily with no soaking req. Hardest part was first plank. Glued with thick PVA woog glue, not while PVA to provide stronger plank edge bond. Light rub Bee's wax on bulkheads stops glue sticking.

Apart from fiirst shaping layer, planks need to be slightly edge beveled to ensure clean fit on visible boat interior. One side almost completed.
4 planks down and then up from garboard. pins removed bar to current planks after glue dried

See you when first later completed.
P1010045.jpegP1010049.jpegP1010050.jpegP1010051.jpegP1010053.jpegP1010056.jpegP1010060.jpegP1010063.jpeg

Like this idea, this would have solved my problem of the bulkheads 1&2 pulling up

It may be worth noting....each of 'Victory's' boats is of a different colour.

It may be worth noting....each of 'Victory's' boats is of a different colour.
Good Info. I did not relise that! it appears that the launch has a white and black exterior. Are you familiar with the colour for the launch. Are the interiors different to

My last post (16) should have had more photo's. I'll try again.
I have no evidence for a long held belief as to why boats were painted in different colours. A little thought makes me think....each boat was hand built, often at different yards, so all the fittings, oars, masts etc would only fit one boat. It's my opinion that each boat and all removable items were colour coded for that boat. Makes sense to me.
Sadly, Victory today doesn't have a full compliment of boats.
59a6b2e67e7bb_vICTORYbARGE2005_jpg_7416f798d19b3d66e9ed4d63fa3393e7.jpg200208362_dc7efc05df_h.jpg2182183240_157cb76ef6_z.jpg47300287672_7a184bca41_k.jpg47353114791_41ad199423_k.jpg

Last edited:
Back