HMS Victory - what is HMS?

Hi there, I am building the HMS Victory model from Constructo 1:94 and the question stack in my head. What is H.M.S.? Is this some kind of acronym or just part of the ship's name?
I googled, but nothing really comes out.

Maybe you know.

Hi there, I am building the HMS Victory model from Constructo 1:94 and the question stack in my head. What is H.M.S.? Is this some kind of acronym or just part of the ship's name?
I googled, but nothing really comes out.

Maybe you know.
His/Her Majesty's Ship. Means a British Royal Navy Ship.

There are also some pages of wikipedia, which are explaining the HMS, SMS and all the other ships prefixes.
Take a look - it is interesting and you have more to tell your wife - So, she is listening to this ? Lucky you !!!!

Thanks for sharing. Indeed, Royal Navy uses HMS in ship names. That's great to know.
Something to share with my wife tomorrow morning :).
You might also be interested to learn that HMS Victory is still in commission, despite her age (launched in 1765). See Wikipedia - HMS Victory

This is what wikipedia is telling us about the

Commonwealth realms and former British Empire
Historically, variants on "HMS" have been used by the navies of British colonies. The practice is maintained in several Commonwealth realms (states which recognise Queen Elizabeth II as their monarch).

Current
Former

Interesting is also Sweden, which are using also HMS:

Sweden
In the Royal Swedish Navy, all vessels are given the prefix HMS (Hans or Hennes Majestäts Skepp). This is true for both surface and submarine vessels.[20]
Abroad, Swedish navy ships are sometimes given the prefix HSwMS (for His Swedish Majesty's Ship), to avoid confusion with other uses of the HMS prefix.[20]

HMS Queen Elizabeth with her Sister, HMS Prince of Wales View attachment 129200

Ain't English great?
I wonder how non-English translations would handle the gender conundrum in "HMS Queen Elizabeth with her Sister, HMS Prince of Wales"?
English speakers know exactly how a Queen and a Prince can be sisters when they are ships. :cool:

Ain't English great?
I wonder how non-English translations would handle the gender conundrum in "HMS Queen Elizabeth with her Sister, HMS Prince of Wales"?
English speakers know exactly how a Queen and a Prince can be sisters when they are ships. :cool:
In german language ships are also every time feminine - so the are also "Schwesternschiffe", if they are from the same class "Schiffsklasse"
so it is also "DIE" HMS Prince of Wales"

PS:
DIE is feminine
DER is masculine
and
DAS is neutrum

In german language ships are also every time feminine - so the are also "Schwesternschiffe", if they are from the same class "Schiffsklasse"
so it is also "DIE" HMS Prince of Wales"

PS:
DIE is feminine
DER is masculine
and
DAS is neutrum
Yes. Very strange.
Okay if the ships are the Surprise and the Endeavour or similar, but when you put Queen and Prince together it sounds odd. I know it's correct but odd just the same.

Back