HMS Warrior 1860

Does anyone know of good resource information and or plans for HMS Warrior. I am very interested in building it.
The only kit I can see available is the Billings one, but after having a brief look it seems fairy minimal so I think I might need additional information to do it correctly.
Thanks in advance.

Allan

Does anyone know of good resource information and or plans for HMS Warrior. I am very interested in building it.
The only kit I can see available is the Billings one, but after having a brief look it seems fairy minimal so I think I might need additional information to do it correctly.
Thanks in advance.

Allan
Are you looking for info about the 1860 HMS Warrior ?

A lot of contemporary drawings are existing - really a lot

Thanks Uwe,
There are some interesting prints a pity they are not a little larger as it is very difficult to see some detail, but I will continue looking through the collection.
Does anyone know of another kit besides the billings one?

Thanks Uwe,
There are some interesting prints a pity they are not a little larger as it is very difficult to see some detail, but I will continue looking through the collection.
Does anyone know of another kit besides the billings one?
You can order a print in the original size, so you would get all details

and also a huge number of these drawings are in high resolution on wikipedia

Last edited:
You can order a print in the original size, so you would get all details

and also a huge number of these drawings are in high resolution on wikipedia
As usual Uwe you reply quickly and with very good information. I will follow up these leads thank you very much.

Allan

John thanks for these links I have already ordered the first one "HMS Warrior 1860 by Andrew D Lambert"
I wasn't aware of World of Books so that is very handy. I am also considering at least one of the others.
I guess I should have looked further before asking but thanks very much.

Allan

I would suggest you purchase the Billings kit, and add some extra scratch details or buy aftermarket fittings for the model.

Yes I agree Brian I certainly wouldn't buy the 1:200 kit too small. The billings kit at approx 1.5 metres it is what is required to do justice to what was once the largest battleship in the world

Worhttps://www.amazon.com/Building-Working-Model-Warship-Warrior/dp/1861760191th a look....

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Hallo Allan alias @AMac
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you find in the meantime some good plans of the HMS Warrior?

Yes I agree Brian I certainly wouldn't buy the 1:200 kit too small. The billings kit at approx 1.5 metres it is what is required to do justice to what was once the largest battleship in the world
Hi Allen. I have my eye on the Billing Boats HMS Warrior. I was wondering if you went ahead with the Billing Kit or if you decided against it and tried something else?
John

G’day John. I did buy the Billings kit although I haven’t started to build. I have done a full inventory and gotten a feel for the kit generally.

I think it is a little overpriced perhaps because it is the only one available. There is the Constructo model, but the scale of that 1:200 I think is too small.

The components in general are good and a couple of minor issues were rectified promptly after I contacted Billings. However, one of the sheets of 1mm ply had a fault running from one edge across to the other. I sent Billings a photo and they replaced it no problem. This sheet has most of the lasered gratings and as can be seen the laser has not penetrated completely through. I pointed this out when I reported the fault line and thought, oh well, when I get the new one it will be OK. While there was no fault in the new sheet the gratings were the same.

When I contacted them again, they replied, “You can send an email to our model builder Peter, that made our “house model of the Warrior I think he could give you a couple of advice”.

At this scale I’m unsure how I will precede, the openings are only 1mm square too small for a file and if I drill then it will have round holes.

The main shortcoming with the kit is the absence of the gun deck and the cannons. All the gun ports and the lids are provided but with nothing in them. The 12 cannons of various size supplied all go on the main deck (which isn’t historically true). I will be bashing it and adding a gun deck and the twenty-six 68 pounder cannons.

InkedDSCF1063_LI.jpegDSCF1071.JPGInkedDSCF1070_LI.jpg

1629971805128.png

Perhaps some of the above is of use to you and if there are any other questions or you would like photos of something please ask.

I hope I haven’t put you off as I’m still happy I bought it and am really looking forward to the build, it is quite a unique kit and will be a good challenge.

Regards Allan

Probably the best reference for HMS Warrior is Bill Romero's 6 volumn set.

G’day John. I did buy the Billings kit although I haven’t started to build. I have done a full inventory and gotten a feel for the kit generally.

I think it is a little overpriced perhaps because it is the only one available. There is the Constructo model, but the scale of that 1:200 I think is too small.

The components in general are good and a couple of minor issues were rectified promptly after I contacted Billings. However, one of the sheets of 1mm ply had a fault running from one edge across to the other. I sent Billings a photo and they replaced it no problem. This sheet has most of the lasered gratings and as can be seen the laser has not penetrated completely through. I pointed this out when I reported the fault line and thought, oh well, when I get the new one it will be OK. While there was no fault in the new sheet the gratings were the same.

When I contacted them again, they replied, “You can send an email to our model builder Peter, that made our “house model of the Warrior I think he could give you a couple of advice”.

At this scale I’m unsure how I will precede, the openings are only 1mm square too small for a file and if I drill then it will have round holes.

The main shortcoming with the kit is the absence of the gun deck and the cannons. All the gun ports and the lids are provided but with nothing in them. The 12 cannons of various size supplied all go on the main deck (which isn’t historically true). I will be bashing it and adding a gun deck and the twenty-six 68 pounder cannons.

View attachment 252577View attachment 252579View attachment 252580

View attachment 252582

Perhaps some of the above is of use to you and if there are any other questions or you would like photos of something please ask.

I hope I haven’t put you off as I’m still happy I bought it and am really looking forward to the build, it is quite a unique kit and will be a good challenge.

Regards Allan
Hi Allan.
Thanks for that, I do think it's quite expensive however I'm going to try it anyway. I've been looking for a second vessel to start and I like to have something I feel a connection with. I was on leave in Portsmouth sitting having a beer watching the Mary Rose being raised on TV as it all happened just a few miles away. While I no longer live in Portsmouth I've visited a number of times and been through the new Mary Rose museum and around HMS Warrior.
I must look for more background material, photos and drawings and look into the gun deck issue, I don't intend to rush the build, that was the main lesson I learnt from my first build.
Here goes!
Thanks
John

Captain John Wells, RN: The Immortal Warrior, Britain's First and Last Battleship, published by Kenneth Mason, 1987. Good deck layout drawings and profile plan, rigging profile. No lines that I could find.

I found the book useful for seeing where designers placed the ventilators on early steamships. The ventilators were placed exclusively over the engine compartments and boiler spaces on Warrior. It is frequently pure guesswork where these go on my later period predreadnought models, but I can now at least "dead reckon" the primary locations by default using the principle above.

However, I am still left wondering if ventilators on the later ships were sometimes added for crew comfort and fresh air. I know American Civil War monitors used cloth ventilators for this purpose. This is why I was surprised Warrior (apparently) did not add them for this purpose.

Captain John Wells, RN: The Immortal Warrior, Britain's First and Last Battleship, published by Kenneth Mason, 1987. Good deck layout drawings and profile plan, rigging profile. No lines that I could find.

I found the book useful for seeing where designers placed the ventilators on early steamships. The ventilators were placed exclusively over the engine compartments and boiler spaces on Warrior. It is frequently pure guesswork where these go on my later period predreadnought models, but I can now at least "dead reckon" the primary locations by default using the principle above.

However, I am still left wondering if ventilators on the later ships were sometimes added for crew comfort and fresh air. I know American Civil War monitors used cloth ventilators for this purpose. This is why I was surprised Warrior (apparently) did not add them for this purpose.
8EFB18D3-E19A-40B3-B668-57F03328913A.jpeg035D309D-83A5-427B-BAE1-6D7C6166551E.jpeg128B70DD-EF57-4858-BBE8-150906AAED55.jpeg8950212D-AC1D-48E9-8E75-3BD8A275941C.jpeg

Back