HMS York 70 gun ship 1680 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello to all
I will show you now the first four pictures of my model York. Some one may know thhis model from other forums or my website.
So I post this pictures, because I´m thinking the are rare.
To the model self I must mentioned it is nearly 40 Years old and stored with no case in my living room. So some of the next pictures
I will post, could show the model in a slightly dusty view, because I forgot to clean it, before I make Photographs.
About the ship is not much well known. It was first built 1654 with 54 guns in Blackwall Dockyard by Henry Johnson and named Marston Moore
after the battle. 1660 Charles II. Stuart King of England renamed the ship York. The signs of Oliver Cromwell was removed from the ship and
the great coat of arms of Charles II. was now to see.
After the new shipbuilding programm 1677 the style of the ships was changed. The big Coat of arms was removed and one more window gallery,
at the influence of the french ships, was built in . The smooth rounded tafferail with the decoration and two or three window gallerys gave the ships
a new appearence. All ships built before 1677 with the old style came back to Dockyards and got the new change. In this new style was built the
model York in appearence o fca 1680. In ship list Gloria Britani 1689 the York have 62 guns in peace and 70 guns at war.
I reconstruct the model and built it.

I will post at next little more information an pictures of some details.HMS York 1680 (Large).jpgHMS YORK 1680 Galion (Large).jpgYork 2 (Large).jpgYork 1680 (Large).jpg
best regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know why some pictures are two times or more. By the next I will try to make it better.

Hi Nigel before I built the York I have scrutinized a lot of contemporary models and so I know how the look like. I patinated the leav gilded decoration
and all other things of my model, so that it looks like an original.
I will show you the next pictures :
The York in my living room and some photographs of details

best regards from Vienna
Willi (schifferlbauer)

IMG_0008 (Large).JPG

York Backbord  (Large).jpg

York Decks (Large).jpg

York 1  (Large).jpg

York Heck (Large).JPG

York  3 (Large).jpg

Nicht vergoldet.png

York Galionslöwe (Large).jpg

York 4 (Large).JPG

York Kuhlschott) (Large).JPG

York 5 (Large).jpg

York Stern (Large).JPG

York im Wohnzimmer (Large).JPG

York Wz (Large).JPG

Shiplist[1].jpg

Deane%20c[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Splendid Willi.I have a question.It looks like your glazing is made from mica.Did you scribe the imitation lead work as they did with the original models of the 17th Century?I tried this and as you may be aware mica is made up of many micro thin layers.The top layer just wanted to peel off between the scribed lines.I could not get it to work.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I dont know why some pictures are two times or more. By the next I will try to make it better.

Hi Nigel before I built the York I have scrutinized a lot of contemporary models and so I know how the look like. I patinated the leav gilded decoration
and all other things of my model, so that it looks like an original.
I will show you the next pictures :
The York in my living room and some photographs of details

best regards from Vienna
Willi (schifferlbauer)
Hallo Willi,
Many Many Thanks for showing us your amazing York - Appr. 10 years ago I had the chance to see this model in real, when I visited Willi at home.
BTW: Willis model is shown on the cover of one very good book written by Alfred Albert with the title "Die schönsten Schiffsmodelle der Welt"

Alfred-Albert+Die-schönsten-Schiffsmodelle-der-Welt-meist-gesehen-auf-der-Weltmeisterschaft-19...jpg

PS: Willi: I changed and corrected the photos in the previous posts / ich habe die Fotos korrigiert - Hoffe dies is ok für dich...

Back