HMY Fubbs by AEW [COMPLETED BUILD]

First things first, thanks for the likes and the feedback.

Almost at the finishing line – but with quite a few little jobs to do.
The first of them was at the stern, the rudder chains and some additions to the dummy gun port hinges:

PICT_F_2901
P1070219.JPG

Still at the stern, it was decision time. One lantern or two?
Looking at the other build logs for comparison purposes, I could only see the single light options. I quite liked the idea of dual lights so that’s the option I chose.
Here’s the kit of parts:

PICT_F_2902
P1070228.JPG

The masking tape was used to mark how much of the brass rod went into the resin casting.

Whilst I was painting the lanterns, I also painted the three picture frames.
I looked for pictures of old ships lanterns, without a great deal of success, but I did find one with vague similarities. It had some form of burner inside it, so I added a short length of white painted dowel to each of them. (They needed a second coat!):

PICT_F_2903
capture_0.jpg
Here’s how they look when glued together:

PICT_F_2904
P1070231.JPG

And here they are in place:

PICT_F_2905
P1070234.JPG

Time to start work on a better baseboard.
After some work with a sander, followed by a visit to the router table this piece of oak will do nicely:

PICT_F_2906
P1070235.JPG

The next picture shows both the old and new bases. The old base was used to mark and drill the new mounting holes.
I would normally use a piece of green baize as a backing, but I didn’t have a long enough piece left – so the new base has a black backing:

PICT_F_2907
P1070236.JPG

All that’s required now is to trim off the excess material, screw it in place and retire the old temporary base:

PICT_F_2908
P1070239.JPG

And here’s how it fits:

PICT_F_2909
P1070240.JPG

The furniture hasn’t been fitted yet, but this guy doesn’t seem to want the job:

PICT_F_2910
P1070245.JPG

First things first, thanks for the likes and the feedback.

Almost at the finishing line – but with quite a few little jobs to do.
The first of them was at the stern, the rudder chains and some additions to the dummy gun port hinges:

PICT_F_2901
View attachment 466399

Still at the stern, it was decision time. One lantern or two?
Looking at the other build logs for comparison purposes, I could only see the single light options. I quite liked the idea of dual lights so that’s the option I chose.
Here’s the kit of parts:

PICT_F_2902
View attachment 466401

The masking tape was used to mark how much of the brass rod went into the resin casting.

Whilst I was painting the lanterns, I also painted the three picture frames.
I looked for pictures of old ships lanterns, without a great deal of success, but I did find one with vague similarities. It had some form of burner inside it, so I added a short length of white painted dowel to each of them. (They needed a second coat!):

PICT_F_2903
Here’s how they look when glued together:

PICT_F_2904
View attachment 466404

And here they are in place:

PICT_F_2905
View attachment 466405

Time to start work on a better baseboard.
After some work with a sander, followed by a visit to the router table this piece of oak will do nicely:

PICT_F_2906
View attachment 466406

The next picture shows both the old and new bases. The old base was used to mark and drill the new mounting holes.
I would normally use a piece of green baize as a backing, but I didn’t have a long enough piece left – so the new base has a black backing:

PICT_F_2907
View attachment 466407

All that’s required now is to trim off the excess material, screw it in place and retire the old temporary base:

PICT_F_2908
View attachment 466408

And here’s how it fits:

PICT_F_2909
View attachment 466409

The furniture hasn’t been fitted yet, but this guy doesn’t seem to want the job:

PICT_F_2910
View attachment 466410
Beautiful work Arthur. I’m keen to see how the furniture goes in. Cheers Grant

What to do with the three figures was something I hadn't decided. The arrangement shown in picture 2910 looked OK but they were just stood there, unsecured in any way,
I decided to try using double sided sticky tape so that I could change their positions if I wanted to.
The first tape I tried was a thin type, about the thickness of a sheet of paper. It appeared to work OK but by the following morning he’d fallen into the bilges. (Actually even further than that!)
I removed the tape and tried standing him up without any tape and found it was quite a delicate balancing act. I carefully sanded the soles of his boots, which made a big difference.
Second attempt was to use a thicker tape:

PICT_F_3001
P1070246.JPG

After trimming the tape to the shape of his boots I needed to blacken the edges. I used a sharpie which did a quick and easy job and stuck him in position.

PICT_F_3002
P1070334.JPG

Big mistake!
Sticking him in place was a success, but the ink from the sharpie had left an outline on the deck planks. Fortunately, the varnish on the planks had protected the wood from the stain and I was able to clean off the planks.
I used black paint for the other figures!

One last job was to fit some bands to the mast.
I used some masking tape which I blackened with a sharpie. I blackened a long section on the reel and put it aside until the following day!

PICT_F_3003
P1070280.JPG

Looking very good - Congratulations for completing this fine model
And clever idea with the fixing of the figurines

Reactions: aew
Wonderful job! Makes me want to see the entire ship, though! :) Too bad that kit is no longer available; it really looks interesting.

Back