Hohenzollernmodell 1660-1670 Scale 1/75 POF build by Stephan Kertész (Steef66)

Welcome to my account of the Dutch two-decker in POF. A while ago I bought myself a book of the writer Heinrich Winter, "A Dutch two-decker".
You can find the book review here:
I was impressed by this ship and my dream was to build it one day. Especially after seeing the reports of @Olympic1911 ( here ) and from SeaMan here and here. And the ship build by Eric van der Stoep who donated the build to the museum. Here The pictures are copywrited so only the link to the newspaper. He build this ship over several years. He was very sick, and wishes he could finish the build and donate it to a museum. His wish came true.
And my self-trained knowledge of AutoCAD is limited but enough to start with that and use it to make the drawings I needed to build the hull. I would naturally learn and get better.

But first, let me tell you something about the model. The model is derived from a Dutch two-decker from the 1660s/1670s after the contemporary model in the former Monbijou castle in Berlin. Unfortunately, the model was destroyed during a bombing in the 2nd World War. But we are fortunately to have the photos and Heinrich Winter's report at our disposal.

Die Yacht Ende der 30er Jahre.png
the model in 1930.

In the aforementioned book report, you can see that the book itself also contains a wealth of information such as very detailed photos and a line plan of the hull. You can find a lot of info of the model in that book. Enough to rebuild this ship.
So I started to make a bulkhead plan. My first intention was to build POB. I scanned the plans on my A4 scanner and used Photoshop to rejoin the small parts of the drawing to 1 piece. For use in AutoCAD it is necessary to make a negative picture. In the picture below you see a combined picture of the result.

lijnenplan 2 dekker 01neg.jpg

First you start to import the negative picture into AutoCAD. And then you start to take over the white lines of the negative. That's why you need a negative, the background in AutoCad is black. I can explain how it is done but then I need a lot of pages to explain. There are tutoriols to download and even threads here on the forum how to.
Edit: Here are 2 links: Drafting ship plans in CAD and Interpreting line drawings for ship modeling both in pdf to download from the NRG.org

I can show you 2 drawings of these. The first is all the parts on an pdf to print and a 3D of the bulkheads.

spant1op75.jpg
spant1op75 3Dlook.jpg

You see I choose to do a upside down of a bulkhead build.
But after a while I decided not to do an POB but a POF build like the build of Eric van der Stoep did. Who I mentioned before here. I started over again and discoverd that the line plan I copied was not accurate. Maarten advised me to go to a copyshop and make a pdf in once of the drawing. Which I did. Much better and more accurate.
Learning and do-over moment. Exclamation-Mark
If someone is interested in this pdf send me a pm and I will share it with you.
So I started compleet again with the drawing. By the way, the drawings in the book are not accurate. There a major mistakes in the waterlines and in the bulkheads. The distance between the waterlines are not equal and the bulk head 17 is drawn 2 times and also different from each other. This needed to be corrected. You want to create a 3D file that ensures that all the lines that meet on the outside also intersect. After a long time of big and tiny corrections I got the result.
It looks perfect after I did the corrections.

3D.jpg
Edit, picture replaced Somehow the jpg I created of the 3D in AutoCAD got a little disturbed.

You can very easily check your drawing in 3D to make sure it has nice flowing shapes. You do this by looking at the object from many angles and seeing if the lines lie next to each other in a nice more or less parallel unit. Errors can be seen immediately.
Since the drawing is made at actual size, the scale model will be even more accurate.

The design for the keel is ready and I have already printed it so I actually can start with that.

Naamloos-1.jpg

But at this moment in my planning I started to design all the single frames (143 in total) of this ship. This is a lot of work, I need to redesign all these frames from the waterlines. At the moment I started to reshape the waterlines so I can measure each frame. For this I need a lot of study about how this was done. I use the book of Ab Hoving, Witsen and v. IJk to find out how this was done. Even I look to other building logs. Or to the drawings of Blom about the 7 Provinciën. A difficult job to do for someone with such less experience in shipbuilding.
Only this part for example took a lot of time to understand how it looks in 3D and how it is build. Not so easy as it looks.

spant 01 expl.jpg
A draw over of the book of Ab Hoving

The wood I will use for this is cherry. A coffee table I was able to buy on the internet for a few euros I was able to cut into smaller pieces at friends down the street. He also had a thickened bench and with that I now have a couple of sizeable pieces of cherry wood (European) to make these frames.

IMG_3071.JPG
IMG_3072.JPG

From time to time I will update this log when there is more to show, maybe to ask questions. You all know now why the build of the Prins Willem is so quiet.
Thanks for visiting my log.

Last edited:
Welcome to my account of the Dutch two-decker in POF. A while ago I bought myself a book of the writer Heinrich Winter, "A Dutch two-decker".
You can find the book review here:
I was impressed by this ship and my dream was to build it one day. Especially after seeing the reports of @Olympic1911 ( here ) and from SeaMan here and here. And the ship build by Eric van der Stoep who donated the build to the museum. Here The pictures are copywrited so only the link to the newspaper. He build this ship over several years. He was very sick, and wishes he could finish the build and donate it to a museum. His wish came true.
And my self-trained knowledge of AutoCAD is limited but enough to start with that and use it to make the drawings I needed to build the hull. I would naturally learn and get better.

But first, let me tell you something about the model. The model is derived from a Dutch two-decker from the 1660s/1670s after the contemporary model in the former Monbijou castle in Berlin. Unfortunately, the model was destroyed during a bombing in the 2nd World War. But we are fortunately to have the photos and Heinrich Winter's report at our disposal.

View attachment 355125
the model in 1930.

In the aforementioned book report, you can see that the book itself also contains a wealth of information such as very detailed photos and a line plan of the hull. You can find a lot of info of the model in that book. Enough to rebuild this ship.
So I started to make a bulkhead plan. My first intention was to build POB. I scanned the plans on my A4 scanner and used Photoshop to rejoin the small parts of the drawing to 1 piece. For use in AutoCAD it is necessary to make a negative picture. In the picture below you see a combined picture of the result.

View attachment 355136

First you start to import the negative picture into AutoCAD. And then you start to take over the white lines of the negative. That's why you need a negative, the background in AutoCad is black. I can explain how it is done but then I need a lot of pages to explain. There are tutoriols to download and even threads here on the forum how to.
I can show you 2 drawings of these. The first is all the parts on an pdf to print and a 3D of the bulkheads.

View attachment 355141
View attachment 355140

You see I choose to do a upside down of a bulkhead build.
But after a while I decided not to do an POB but a POF build like the build of Eric van der Stoep did. Who I mentioned before here. I started over again and discoverd that the line plan I copied was not accurate. Maarten advised me to go to a copyshop and make a pdf in once of the drawing. Which I did. Much better and more accurate.
Learning and do-over moment. Exclamation-Mark
If someone is interested in this pdf send me a pm and I will share it with you.
So I started compleet again with the drawing. By the way, the drawings in the book are not accurate. There a major mistakes in the waterlines and in the bulkheads. The distance between the waterlines are not equal and the bulk head 17 is drawn 2 times and also different from each other. This needed to be corrected. You want to create a 3D file that ensures that all the lines that meet on the outside also intersect. After a long time of big and tiny corrections I got the result.
It looks perfect after I did the corrections.

View attachment 355142
Somehow the jpg I created of the 3D in AutoCAD got a little disturbed.

You can very easily check your drawing in 3D to make sure it has nice flowing shapes. You do this by looking at the object from many angles and seeing if the lines lie next to each other in a nice more or less parallel unit. Errors can be seen immediately.
Since the drawing is made at actual size, the scale model will be even more accurate.

The design for the keel is ready and I have already printed it so I actually can start with that.

View attachment 355150

But at this moment in my planning I started to design all the single frames (143 in total) of this ship. This is a lot of work, I need to redesign all these frames from the waterlines. At the moment I started to reshape the waterlines so I can measure each frame. For this I need a lot of study about how this was done. I use the book of Ab Hoving, Witsen and v. IJk to find out how this was done. Even I look to other building logs. Or to the drawings of Blom about the 7 Provinciën. A difficult job to do for someone with such less experience in shipbuilding.
Only this part for example took a lot of time to understand how it looks in 3D and how it is build. Not so easy as it looks.

View attachment 355143
A draw over of the book of Ab Hoving

The wood I will use for this is cherry. A coffee table I was able to buy on the internet for a few euros I was able to cut into smaller pieces at friends down the street. He also had a thickened bench and with that I now have a couple of sizeable pieces of cherry wood (European) to make these frames.

View attachment 355153
View attachment 355154

From time to time I will update this log when there is more to show, maybe to ask questions. You all know now why the build of the Prins Willem is so quiet.
Thanks for visiting my log.
Nice to see the start of this new build-log, Stephan. And the steps you have already made. It’s looking complicated but very interesting.
Regards, Peter

Wonderful Stephan! I look forward to seeing your progress and wish you success on this ambitious build.
Thanks Paul. Yes ambitieus, I hope I could bring it to an end. But seeing all the help here on the forum I don't wordt about that.
Nice to see the start of this new build-log, Stephan. And the steps you have already made. It’s looking complicated but very interesting.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. Yes very complicated. I already learned so much about the Dutch building methodes, respect how they manage this in those days.

A very daring undertaking, Stephan. And a POF-build as well.
Given the complexity of this beauty, it would be worth your while to have all the basics covered in AutoCad, before cutting wood...
I wish you good luck and a beautiful journey.

Very nice project and sure ambitious learning to deal with AutoCAD etc.
I will be following your build with great interest; so many similarities with the 7 Provinciën.
Will you build her on the same scale as the Prins Willem?

A very daring undertaking, Stephan. And a POF-build as well.
Given the complexity of this beauty, it would be worth your while to have all the basics covered in AutoCad, before cutting wood...
I wish you good luck and a beautiful journey.
Thanks Johan. Indeed a daring project. I'm thinking to go for an open build.
Very nice project and sure ambitious learning to deal with AutoCAD etc.
I will be following your build with great interest; so many similarities with the 7 Provinciën.
Will you build her on the same scale as the Prins Willem?
Thanks Herman, yes the same scale 1/75. So you can see the difference of both ships. I can tell you the 2 decker will be about 15 cm shorter in lenght
Good to see you already started your blog Stephan. It will be a joy following you along this journey.
Your welcome Maarten, hope for a lot of fun and learning.

Well, I guess it was your time for the POF build, to add complexity, it will be a scratch build. o_O Wishing you good luck, and since the most valuable seats are already taken, I will happily seat and watch in the second row. Oh...btw (by the way), if you have a hard time translating from the Russian forum, don't hesitate to ask. I still remember some words :p

Stephan,

One remark about your wood selection. Be sure you have sufficient supply of the cherry wood from furniture to finish a specific part of the ship.
If you havent sufficient wood it will be a problem to match the colour in the future. Especially furniture wood has been aged and treated over years creating its own colour. If you buy a new table in the future it can be a totaly different colour.

I have bought a lot of rest wood via marktplaats in the past, mostly pear and box.
At the moment I see this advertisement.
Lot perenhout partijtje peren
€ 180,00

Well, I guess it was your time for the POF build, to add complexity, it will be a scratch build. o_O Wishing you good luck, and since the most valuable seats are already taken, I will happily seat and watch in the second row. Oh...btw (by the way), if you have a hard time translating from the Russian forum, don't hesitate to ask. I still remember some words :p
Thanks Jim, your keen eyes are welcome here. Also your Russian knowledge will be a help.

Stephan,

One remark about your wood selection. Be sure you have sufficient supply of the cherry wood from furniture to finish a specific part of the ship.
If you havent sufficient wood it will be a problem to match the colour in the future. Especially furniture wood has been aged and treated over years creating its own colour. If you buy a new table in the future it can be a totaly different colour.

I have bought a lot of rest wood via marktplaats in the past, mostly pear and box.
At the moment I see this advertisement.
Lot perenhout partijtje peren
€ 180,00
Yes I already contact him. He ask me 20 euro more. That wood got woodworm he told me.
I got a big pile of cherry. Not only the pile on the pictures, I got also the table feet and underside panels of the table. The table was 100x100 cm.
And yes there will always be colour difference. No problem. Cherry is dark wood. And got a lot of colour tones.
You find furniture like I found sometimes for free on marketplace.

BTW: I guess you know the started log by Peter alias @Olympic1911 of his Hohenzollernmodell in the big scale 1:21

In the german forum you can find the complete log

I think this log and also the contact with our friend @Olympic1911 will be helpful

Wonderful project Stephan. While I know very little about Dutch ships (other than Vasa), they have uniquely beautiful lines. So while I will not have the knowledge to contribute to your project, I surly will learn a lot. Thanks for sharing your project with us all!

Wonderful project Stephan. While I know very little about Dutch ships (other than Vasa), they have uniquely beautiful lines. So while I will not have the knowledge to contribute to your project, I surly will learn a lot. Thanks for sharing your project with us all!
You're welcome Ken, the difference is not so much. The only big difference is that there a no good plans. And that's no problem because the Dutch don't do quality but quantity. That means you have a lot of freedom in you build.

I am always excited to pick up random hints and ideas from the posts of forum members adventures with their builds. In this case finding a cheap, used table to harvest wood for the bulkheads. Yikes! Something I never thought of. The local second hand store has such things cheaper than buying the wood billets...especially if they have a lot of wear.

Back