How can I improve on metal castings?

I’m building the ZHL Soleil Royal, and while it’s a great kit, I feel the metal decorative castings can be improved upon. By that I mean improve the cast details and surfaces. I just don’t know how. Has anyone been able to do this, and if so how? I just don’t have the skill to carve them out of wood, so my only option seems to be to improve on what I have.

Last edited:
Ok, here’s an example....maybe I’m expecting too much. These look pretty good. They just aren’t as good as the hand carved stuff that I’ve seen, and I know that cast stuff never will be.
F237D933-7357-4370-B8ED-FEEC0BDEA9B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello ,
I see 2 options
1- chisels and define more
2 - copy them with blue stuff and make them with miliput and sculpt them at your hart desire ,no fear to break something.
Daniel

Hi Paul

When Building Panart's Royal Caroline I was determined to make the best of what was supplied.The biggest issue was the thickness.I removed material from the back of the castings to reduce their thickness by half using a sanding disc in an Angle Grinder and care.Some ended up very fragile.The ones that went on to curved surfaces I took a mould from and recast in resin.These could then be placed in hot water and shaped to conform to the curves.The cast figurehead was refined with rotary tools which as it was cast brass,was slow work.
The biggest thing I would say is as the material of your castings is unknown,wear gloves and a mask when working on them,if there is any Lead in there it won't do you any favours.
I include some pics including the reworked stern castings and prep for moulding.

Kind Regards

Nigel

rc20.jpgrc63.jpgrc88.jpgrc127.jpg

Another option is to use a Dremel tool with fine burrs to touch up the details...sharpen edges, define groooves, deepen folds, etc. It would not take much to define the features. The key is lots of patience and a light touch.

I had this problem with the Mantua Soleil Royal and spent hours burring and sanding and filing. I could have robbed a bank--I had no fingerprints left!

A high cost (?) alternative might be to use a 3D printer. I think I remember seeing some threads on that here but can't find them for you. Perhaps others have some ideas on that.

Back