How Can This Work?

1720709876841.png
A beautiful model, but I don't think this can work: the rope and blocks attached to the drum at the steering wheel.
1720709981242.png
The rope is attached at each end by eyes on either side. It doesn't matter that it goes through 3 single blocks to get to the steering wheel, the rope can't move. So, if it's tight, then the steering wheel can't move. So why is it there? My guess would be a mis-interpretation of various types of steering locks, which are usually on a tiller rather than the wheel.

Some might say it's there to lock the steering wheel in position, which it does do, but then the only way to move the wheel would be to unfasten the rope, loosen it up to the point that the rope slides on the drum, move the wheel, then lock again. Which isn't practical, obviously. Add that to the fact that despite having 3 blocks, the rope to each side provides no advantage in force or in length to simply tying the rope to the eyes without any blocks at all.

And last, but most obvious, none of this actually connects to the rudder. I may be wrong and mis-understand the situation, but this all seems wrong to me. Despite the wonderful model. So I'd love to be set straight and learn what's going on here, if it is a valid setup.

I think I missed something in the first photo above. I thought that the rope went from the eye at the side, to a block fixed at or near the helm, then to another block, etc. I got a Pintrest email today with a diagram that shows this arrangement:
1721055688253.png
It clearly shows that the first block after the eye is attached to the tiller, not to some fixed point on the ship. And the above photo shows it, I just didn't recognize it:
1721055982591.png

My apologies for questioning this complex, but correct, arrangement.

Back