How do I get a .8mm rigging line into a 4mm block with one hole? This is for a Mizzen Topgallant Stay(See Rigging Diagram

I have figured out to get the .8mm rigging line through the hole in the block. Two elements. First drilling a larger hole. I have a vise where I can place the block. Then I use a dremel with a smaller bit to enlarge the hole and use a larger bit to get to the right hole size. Second. I use glue to stiffen the end of the .8mm line , cut the end in an angle and just put the line through the hole. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Double check the size of the block for the scale size of the line. The block looks too small for the scale size line being used. Could be a plan error. I would go a size larger on the block.

I use a needle threader as above. Sometimes you need to enlarge the hole with a micro drill bit and an archimedes drill. Also I run the thread through a block of beeswax which I bought off amazon. This stiffens the thread a little but most important of all- lubricates. I do this for the rat lines and deadeyes as well.

Double check the size of the block for the scale size of the line. The block looks too small for the scale size line being used. Could be a plan error. I would go a size larger on the block.
All of the above is good advice but I agree with Jim--from the picture it looks like there's something wrong with either the block or the line.

contact Dry Dock models and see if they have one size bigger block
I second Dave, they have all the block sizes you may need for your build, and the quality of those blocks a something you have to see to believe. Here is the link

It is also a good idea to drag the threads through beeswax, not only keeps all the fibers together but also when the rope is tensioned it will make the rope a bit smaller in diameter. Also a good idea to smooth the hole out with a small drill bit (as you have done).
Waxing the ropes also prolongs their life whilst on the model.
Eric

I agree that bock sizes are a factor of line size which is its own function of the forces (tension) needed in the purpose of that line and block(s) system. From first glance either the block is too small or the line too large and either out of scale. Just my thoughts . Rich (PT-2)

I usually clamp a hemostat to the end of the line and spin it, that'll tighten up the threads. While it is spun up I apply some CA glue to lock in the new smaller diameter. Then un-clamp and slice off the end at an angle making the end knife-like. If you can poke that knife end through enough you can reclamp the hemostat and pull it through.

I usually clamp a hemostat to the end of the line and spin it, that'll tighten up the threads. While it is spun up I apply some CA glue to lock in the new smaller diameter. Then un-clamp and slice off the end at an angle making the end knife-like. If you can poke that knife end through enough you can reclamp the hemostat and pull it through.
Interesting idea to reduce the diameter. I'll have to give it a try to see the results. Thanks, Rich (PT-2)

Interesting idea to reduce the diameter. I'll have to give it a try to see the results. Thanks, Rich (PT-2)

I do it as a matter of course for most/all blocks. Even when I'm using the smaller .20 or .30mm line it really helps getting the thread through without hassle.

To achieve some degree of accuracy the holes in a.block should alway have a larger diameter than the line that goes through it. Check the the scale of your model and either enlarge the hole or use a smalle diameter of the line.

To achieve some degree of accuracy the holes in a.block should alway have a larger diameter than the line that goes through it. Check the the scale of your model and either enlarge the hole or use a smalle diameter of the line.

I agree. I'll also usually run a fine drill bit through the block hole before I try and ram through a thread.

Back