How do you fix a broken rib

Hi All. Well I'm almost through beveling and sanding all of my ribs and alas, one side of #27 down by the lower yoke simple snapped yesterday as I was sanding it. I couldn't believe it and given it's a weak butt joint, it's not holding even with epoxy! I'm thinking of drilling a hole in each side and inserting a brass rod to provide some strength. Any other ideas would be welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi All. Well I'm almost through beveling and sanding all of my ribs and alas, one side of #27 down by the lower yoke simple snapped yesterday as I was sanding it. I couldn't believe it and given it's a weak butt joint, it's not holding even with epoxy! I'm thinking of drilling a hole in each side and inserting a brass rod to provide some strength. Any other ideas would be welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!
At 1st: Welcome to the BFC (Broken Frame Club) Joe.
To strength it with a piece of rod is a good option. When it is on the planked port side it would be less visible.
Perhaps you can make a new part out of the resting sheets?
Regards, Peter

I am also a proud member of the BFC and I repaired quite a few frames with pins/rods. Works pretty well, except in the area where the frames transfer into the above deck stanchions. Since you have to cut the frames at the railing/hull interface, repairs in that area should be avoided.
For one frame, the failure was in a rather unfortunate area, so I decided to make a new frame part. This was accomplished rather straightforward.

Back