How I make thin copper strips

Back in the late 90s I had access to a machine shop and I made several tools for modelling, this is one to make thin copper strips.

P1210111.JPG
I use a piece of copper wire and squeeze it between a bearing and a roller turned by hand, it comprises of two parts one fixed and the other moving. When l make a tool like this I use what's available I had a spare 25mm bearing and built everything around that. No sizes have been given as they can be made to suit but because of the high loads on the parts they must fit together with little clearance.

P1210089.JPG
These are the parts for the moving side.

P1210090.JPG
This is the top part of the wire guide which is the same for both sides.

P1210091.JPG
And the bottom part.

P1210093.JPG
Wire guide assembled.

P1210094~3.JPG
This is the bearing assembly, it is important that the parts fit well there can be no play and the bearing must spin. The cup washer (can also be called a spring washer) takes up any vertical play under the bearing. The dust cap fits on to the head of the shoulder screw.

P1210095.JPG
The shoulder screw sits on a counter bore the depth of which is calculated by taking the length of shoulder screw body minus bearing plus cup washer .

P1210098.JPG
Moving side complete the springs are sitting in counter bores.

P1210100.JPG
Fixed side.

P1210101~3.JPG
Roller is counter bored to suit Shoulder Screw again there should be no play.

P1210102.JPG
The shoulder screw locates the handle and the dowels aline the two parts.

P1210113.JPG
P1210112.JPGP1210115~2.JPG
Operating is pretty simple close the parts until it starts gripping the wire then adjust the screw about a quarter turn and roll the wire back and forth a couple of times. Repeat until thickness is reached.

If you have any questions please ask, for me it's much easier to make something than to describe why and how it works.

Many thanks, Tony!! Great overview, and detailed explanation. While it seems somewhat is not too difficult engineering, it is evident you need a shop with mechanical tools for such work. It might not be possible to make those at home without special tools. However, if you try you cannot confirm :cool:

Many thanks, Tony!! Great overview, and detailed explanation. While it seems somewhat is not too difficult engineering, it is evident you need a shop with mechanical tools for such work. It might not be possible to make those at home without special tools. However, if you try you cannot confirm :cool:
Hi Jimsky I had forgotten how much work I put into this little tool it was only when it was pulled apart I rembered how it was done. Yes to build it similar to mine you will need a well equipped workshop because it was available I made it that way. I think it could be made simpler, basically it works by squeezing the wire between two rollers.

Great tool and well described. Thanks for showing us. A job for my boiler maker grandson perhaps.
Thanks for the complement if you want to get one made there is many different ways this can be done. I used what I had to hand which is why it finished up like this. If you need any help with the design just ask.
Tony

Back