How to apply PE TO A WOODEN DECK

I am in the process of building Academy’s 1/400 Titanic kit #14215. I purchased a wood veneer deck along with photo etch and resin upgrades from Flyhawk. I’ll be attaching benches, lifeboat davits, a breakwater, rigging, etc., onto the deck.
Any suggestions on how to apply the photo-etch and resin parts onto wood veneer without staining/ marring the deck surface?

Whenever you glue two different materials it's always best to use 2 part epoxy.
This can be very frustrating as you make a mix for one item only, then another mix for another piece, etc.
I use a 10 minute epoxy- I prepare all the items and surfaces before hand- do a dry fit, then I mix the epaxy and place all the pieces at once-this goes much smoother.
The most important thing to remember is to use only a small amount- what ever you think is enough 'half it' again.
You could also use Super-glue which is more convenient but I don't like it for two reasons:
  1. Any squeeze out leaves shiny residue which can't be removed.
  2. Doesn't give much flexibility because it hardens too quick.

Many swear by superglue gel for this type of thing although not tried it myself.It gives you a little wiggle time and does not have a propensity to bleed into exposed decking.Only a tiny amount on a pin or cocktail stick is necessary.If your deck comes with the outer fret included,you could practice on this as it will only be going in the bin.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hello Aer3393, I am using the system called 'The Glue Looper' by creative dynamics. They have different glue tips for various glues viscosity. The system, or those tips, allow you to put the gluing parts 'on place' and then deliver just necessary amount of glue. Also, They using Mercury Adhesive brand of CA and it doesn't clog the surface. Check some videos so you can get an idea.

http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html

This can be very frustrating as you make a mix for one item only, then another mix for another piece, etc.
I use a 10 minute epoxy- I prepare all the items and surfaces before hand- do a dry fit, then I mix the epaxy and place all the pieces at once-this goes much smoother.
The most important thing to remember is to use only a small amount- what ever you think is enough 'half it' again.
You could also use Super-glue which is more convenient but I don't like it for two reasons:
I am in the process of building Academy’s 1/400 Titanic kit #14215. I purchased a wood veneer deck along with photo etch and resin upgrades from Flyhawk. I’ll be attaching benches, lifeboat davits, a breakwater, rigging, etc., onto the deck.
Any suggestions on how to apply the photo-etch and resin parts onto wood veneer without staining/ marring the deck surface?
Thanks. I never thought of using epoxy for surface mounting. I have occasionally used it for structural bonding. Is there a brand you recommend?

Hello Aer3393, I am using the system called 'The Glue Looper' by creative dynamics. They have different glue tips for various glues viscosity. The system, or those tips, allow you to put the gluing parts 'on place' and then deliver just necessary amount of glue. Also, They using Mercury Adhesive brand of CA and it doesn't clog the surface. Check some videos so you can get an idea.

http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html
I have the glue looper and it works great. I bought Creative Dynamic’s Version 4, though have been curious if any of the other versions would work better. What do you think? Also, I have been curious about their adhesive line. I’ll have order some and see the difference. Looks like I’ll be doing a bit of testing before moving forward on this build. Thanks.

Many swear by superglue gel for this type of thing although not tried it myself.It gives you a little wiggle time and does not have a propensity to bleed into exposed decking.Only a tiny amount on a pin or cocktail stick is necessary.If your deck comes with the outer fret included,you could practice on this as it will only be going in the bin.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Nigel,
Thank you for the suggestion. I do you have some scrap decking material which I will use for testing different glues.

I have the glue looper and it works great. I bought Creative Dynamic’s Version 4, though have been curious if any of the other versions would work better. What do you think? Also, I have been curious about their adhesive line. I’ll have order some and see the difference. Looks like I’ll be doing a bit of testing before moving forward on this build. Thanks.
I use version 2, it does work very good on a super thin (like water) CA M5T and deliver glue drops right to the spot you need.

Testing will never hurts. :p

Thanks. I never thought of using epoxy for surface mounting. I have occasionally used it for structural bonding. Is there a brand you recommend?
I live in Australia, so I use Selleys brand. I'm sure there are many more options in the U.S.

I use version 2, it does work very good on a super thin (like water) CA M5T and deliver glue drops right to the spot you need.

Testing will never hurts. :p
Thanks John. I just ordered version 2 loopers and the Mercury CA you suggest. I’ll post the results of the adhesives test.

I live in Australia, so I use Selleys brand. I'm sure there are many more options in the U.S.
Thanks John. I just ordered version 2 loopers and the Mercury CA you suggest. I’ll post the results of the adhesives test.
So these are the results of my impromptu test of what Glue works best on a wooden deck without leaving visible marring or glossiness on wood veneer decking. I used a scrap of deck material adhered to plastic card as my test bed. After applying a scrap of brass I slopped on some glue to see if any over-glueing would be noticeable. I tested Zap thin ca, Loctite ca, Mercury M5T super thin ca and Gator’S Grip acrylic glue. It seems that Gator’s Grip acrylic glue leaves the least shine and holds well. Mercury and zap came in tied for second, although ca glue left on exposed wood seems to leave a shine. I haven’t tried epoxy as I am unfamiliar with its use for photo etch.In retrospect, I guess any shine could be touched up with a thin coat of flat.

ECF547E7-E109-43D3-AE02-CC2EA763EA97.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back