How to go fixed to variable speed motor - King Canada belt and disc sander

Hi Stephen,

Yes I took a look about it, but there are some bad reviens too. So I am not in a hurry, since I am in holidays. I Will take time for this, need a budget for this.

Michel

Hi Stephen,

Yes I took a look about it, but there are some bad reviens too. So I am not in a hurry, since I am in holidays. I Will take time for this, need a budget for this.

Michel
Hi Michel,

No worries, for what it's worth, I bought the lager Proxxon disk sander a couple of years ago and although I wasn't impressed with the "plastic" parts on it or the extruded aluminum work table it does the job that it is intended to do quite well and is easy to setup.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Michel,

No worries, for what it's worth, I bought the lager Proxxon disk sander a couple of years ago and although I wasn't impressed with the "plastic" parts on it or the extruded aluminum work table it does the job that it is intended to do quite well and is easy to setup.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thanks for the tips Stephen. I Will check for Homedepot.ca for deals on it.
Have a good Day

Michel

Edit for correcting the model version

Hi Stephen,

I look on the web and found the cheaper version of Micro-Mark. I am very happy with their table saw (the more expensive one that could tilt.). So did you think that the TG/125E version of proxxon is well worth the purchase ?

Salutations,
Michel

Hi Michel,
Sorry I don't have any experience with the 125, I saved my pennies and bought the 250 because it suits what I do more.
Although I would say if the 125 is big enough to do what you need it to do then I would think it is alright, Proxxon make reasonable machines in my opinion, if you want top shelf then the Byrnes is probably worth a look for build quality, only down side is no speed control last time I looked.

Cheers,
Stephen.

I am not a scratch builder. So my use and knowledge of disc sanders is limited. But I will add a point for you to take into account in your selection. Something that I found bothers me a lot.

It is the case around the disc:

All the following have the disc within a body case. If you want to sand a piece of wood that have an angle, let say like an L, you will find that metallic case will stop you to sand all the interior of the L.

I hope you understand what I am trying g to explain.

Screenshot_20220612-130102_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220612-130228_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220612-130718_Home Depot.jpg

Do you see the case ?

The Byrnes do not have that case.

Screenshot_20220612-130323_Chrome.jpg

But the constant speed is strong. If you do not have a steady hand, oversanding can happen.

I have the small proxxon, due to the case I decided to buy the Byrnes too. But due to the speed I received recently the Ultimatium Sander. No case and hand speed. Below I pasted Olha's video.

With the 3, depending on the task, I use one or another.

Cheers
Daniel

I am not a scratch builder. So my use and knowledge of disc sanders is limited. But I will add a point for you to take into account in your selection. Something that I found bothers me a lot.

It is the case around the disc:

All the following have the disc within a body case. If you want to sand a piece of wood that have an angle, let say like an L, you will find that metallic case will stop you to sand all the interior of the L.

I hope you understand what I am trying g to explain.

View attachment 313466View attachment 313467View attachment 313468

Do you see the case ?

The Byrnes do not have that case.

View attachment 313469

But the constant speed is strong. If you do not have a steady hand, oversanding can happen.

I have the small proxxon, due to the case I decided to buy the Byrnes too. But due to the speed I received recently the Ultimatium Sander. No case and hand speed. Below I pasted Olha's video.

With the 3, depending on the task, I use one or another.

Cheers
Daniel
That great remark you done with the "L" shaped wood that will be difficult to cut. I understand and agree with you. Thanks to taked time to informed us.

Michel

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not sure of this info. I tried to do this with my Delta sander/grinder. I have a speed controller for 110 volt stuff but it says to only use on brush type motors. I think that there is at least two types of motor, brush type and induction type. With the brush type you can vary the speed with the voltage and with the induction type you have to vary the frequency. My sander doesn't have brushes so I'm assuming it is an induction motor. I tried my brush type speed controller and if I turned the speed knob right down the motor would not turn. If I slowly turned the speed knob up the motor would start to turn slowly but even if I left the knob alone the motor speed would gradually increase until it reached full speed. It had no power and would slow down as I applied work to it but it was struggling and I'm sure it would have burnt out if I had persisted. I did find some speed controllers for induction motors on the net but I wasn't confident enough to spend the bucks. I think they were kind of pricey. If you figure this out please let us know as I would dearly like to slow down my sander.
Oh. you can make a speed control for brush motors using a common light dimmer switch but varying the frequency is a whole different ball of wax.
FYI - Newbie posting: Thanks for posting as I'm trying to slow down a Proxxon MF70 mill and wondered if a "Router Fan Variable Speed Controller Electric Motor Rheostat AC 120V" would work. Based on what I see I'll spend $25 and hopefully cause no damage to the MF70 board or motor. My concern is I'm trying to slow a integrated variable speed brushless motor device with an external variable speed device. So maybe that is a VERY bad idea. The Proxxon appears to be brush as user upgrades discuss going brushless. My need is to drill #80 without melting styrene and 5000 RPM is much too fast. I'm a model railroader and joined this forum as I saw MF70 discussions that were very informative. I appreciate the forums positive atmosphere and knowledge being shared. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back