Howdy from Texas!

Happy New Year to all! I am very much the amateur when it comes to building models. But my interest was renewed over the past year as I've been working on a replica of a specific B-17 I intend to give to my best friend; his father was a belly gunner in WWII this craft that was shot down over Germany just before the end of the war.

I happened upon S.O.S. by accident a couple of weeks ago while doing some research on a vessel of some significance: the USCG Cutter Bear (I found that Jim J had made some entries regarding a model of the ship that he and a friend were/are building). As it happens, my great-grandfather Aaron Gamble (USNA 1894) was posted to the Bear from 1899-1900 which included an Arctic cruise. So a great deal of my interest - for the present time - is research-based as I work to learn more about him. Incidentally, he was also the first commander of the USS Miami - later christened the Tampa. I've attached a coupe photos of him as well as one of the Bear

I also have another ship model (a freighter) which I inherited from my grandfather, and which I'm working on learning about. I also hope that within this auspicious group I'll be able to learn about any databases that might contain data on ships that sailed in the past.

Enough palaverin'. Look forward to learning from y'all.

Attachments

• 1918-0900 - A L Gamble.jpeg
    1918-0900 - A L Gamble.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1899-0000 - A L Gamble-03.png
    1899-0000 - A L Gamble-03.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • USS Bear-02.jpg
    USS Bear-02.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 4
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Happy New Year to all! I am very much the amateur when it comes to building models. But my interest was renewed over the past year as I've been working on a replica of a specific B-17 I intend to give to my best friend; his father was a belly gunner in WWII this craft that was shot down over Germany just before the end of the war.

I happened upon S.O.S. by accident a couple of weeks ago while doing some research on a vessel of some significance: the USCG Cutter Bear (I found that Jim J had made some entries regarding a model of the ship that he and a friend were/are building). As it happens, my great-grandfather Aaron Gamble (USNA 1894) was posted to the Bear from 1899-1900 which included an Arctic cruise. So a great deal of my interest - for the present time - is research-based as I work to learn more about him. Incidentally, he was also the first commander of the USS Miami - later christened the Tampa. I've attached a coupe photos of him as well as one of the Bear

I also have another ship model (a freighter) which I inherited from my grandfather, and which I'm working on learning about. I also hope that within this auspicious group I'll be able to learn about any databases that might contain data on ships that sailed in the past.

Enough palaverin'. Look forward to learning from y'all.
Hallo @SEisner
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back