Howzit from New Zealand

Hello everyone, I've been building model ships for about 40 years now and had a lot of fun doing it. I'm trying to find a kit or plans of HMS Temeraire, the 98 gun ship that fought at Trafalgar. There doesn't appear to be much information around about these second rates, probably because there were so few of them, but if anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

Keep Well,
George

Hello everyone, I've been building model ships for about 40 years now and had a lot of fun doing it. I'm trying to find a kit or plans of HMS Temeraire, the 98 gun ship that fought at Trafalgar. There doesn't appear to be much information around about these second rates, probably because there were so few of them, but if anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

Keep Well,
George
Hallo George,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

HMS Temeraire (1798):

I guess the wikipedia page of this ship is well known by you:

but maybe not the Threedecks-page with some detailed information:

Ok, there were three ships build of the same class:
named sometimes Dreadnought Class or also Neptune class - HMS Neptune (1797), HMS Temeraire (1798) and the HMS Dreadnought (1801)
The HMS Ocean launched in 1805 and HMS Queen were already lengthened

Some contemporary drawings of the class are still existing in the NMM, f.e.

j1630.jpg
Scale 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines, and longitudinal half-breadth for 'Neptune' (1797), and later for 'Temeraire' (1798) and 'Queen' (1805) prior to the latter's lengthening. Alterations dated 1796 illustrated on the plan only apply to 'Neptune' and 'Temeraire', as 'Ocean' was ordered to be lengthened by 11ft 6 inches in July 1797.

j1767.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the inboard profile for 'Dreadnought' (1801), a 98-gun Second Rate, three-decker, building at Portsmouth Dockyard. The plan was later used for 'Neptune' (1797), and 'Temeraire' (1798). The plan was also used for 'Ocean' (1805), prior to being re-ordered to a longer design.

j1677.jpg
Scale 1:48. Plan showing the bow inboard side elevation, stern quarter inboard elevation, a section through the bow at Station 24, and a section through the stern at Station Q for 'Temeraire' (1798), and later for 'Neptune' (1797), and 'Dreadnought' (1801), all 98-gun Second Rate, three-deckers. The plan also related to 'Ocean' (1805), prior to being lengthened 11 feet in 1797 to accommodate larger calibre cannon. A version of this plan with alterations in green ink was dispatched to the various royal yards in March 1792. The plan illustrates the proposed (and approved with alterations) manner of erecting a roof over the fore and aft part of the ship to protect it from the weather during construction.

j1772.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the orlop deck with fore and aft platforms for 'Dreadnought' (1801), 'Neptune' (1797), and 'Temeraire' (1798) all 98-gun Second Rate, three-decker. The plan includes alterations from September 1796 to the store rooms and the construction of a shot locker under the orlop for 'Neptune' and 'Temeraire', as well as further alterations for fitting the magazine on the same ships in March and April 1797.

You can also find some more drawings but also a lot of paintings of the Temeraire:

Dreanought:

Neptune:
j1629.jpg

Ocean:
j0805.jpg j0891.jpg

Fantastic, Thanks very much Uwek. I hadn't seen the Threedecks page before, and I'm amazed at the information on it. The reason I'm trying to find enough information about the Temeraire is that my wife's ancestor, Francis Harris was the Master gunner on her, and I've promised that one day I would build a model of her . I know about the NMM drawings, and if I could get fair scale copies of them, I could, with a fair wind and a following sea, attempt to transfer them to my drawing board, and eventually build it. I've often wondered why there isn't more interest in the modeling community of this class.

Keep Well,
George

Fantastic, Thanks very much Uwek. I hadn't seen the Threedecks page before, and I'm amazed at the information on it. The reason I'm trying to find enough information about the Temeraire is that my wife's ancestor, Francis Harris was the Master gunner on her, and I've promised that one day I would build a model of her . I know about the NMM drawings, and if I could get fair scale copies of them, I could, with a fair wind and a following sea, attempt to transfer them to my drawing board, and eventually build it. I've often wondered why there isn't more interest in the modeling community of this class.

Keep Well,
George
Wow!
You can find also information about the 21 years of service in the Navy of Francis Harris on Three decks - So he was on the HMS Temeraire during the Battle of Trafalgar !!

Francis Harris
NationalityBritish
RolesNaval Sailor
First Known Service10.2.1790CSORN
Last Known Service31.12.1811CSORN
Event History

Date fromDate toEventSource
10.2.179021.7.1790Prosperity (22), GunnerNAO
22.7.179025.10.1790Gladiator (44), GunnerNAO
26.10.179010.6.1796Captain (74), GunnerNAO
14.3.1795Action off Genoa
13.7.1795Battle of Hyeres
11.6.17966.5.1799Agamemnon (64), GunnerNAO
7.5.179918.2.1811Temeraire (98), GunnerNAO
21.10.1805Battle of Trafalgar
19.2.181131.12.1811Royal Sovereign (100), GunnerNAO

1122.JPG

1123.JPG

Welcome aboard. I think that one of the reasons there are not many of this class of ship being built by the modeling community is that not many have the temerity to attempt a scratch build of this complexity. All to often most modelers prefer to build from a kit because all the parts needed are included so there is no need to try to find or make everything. That means that they are also only seeing the kits that the manufacturers are making - which is limited in scope. That's why you will see 20 build logs of the same ship, granted some builders take more time to get all the details right depending on their building experience. But, as always, it's a case of build what you like. I hope to see a build log of your very interesting project.

Hi John--Welcome. Not sure where you are located but the Auckland library used to have a book (I forget the name and author) written by the guy who restored the HMS Victory after it was damaged by bombs in WWII. Accompanying the book is a box of big plans showing all the deck layouts and inboard works. It won't answer all your questions about the Temeraire, but might give you some insights about construction of ships of the period.

Also, where do you source your timber, etc.? Any suggestions for a good place down here? Thanks!

Thomas: I suspect that the book to which you are referring is Nepean Longridge’s “The Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships” which was illustrated by George Campbell, a British marine architect who drafted plans for restorations of HMS Victory, the Cutty Sark, and (I think after he moved to the USA), USS Constitution. Campbell’s drawings and plans are spectacular. You can usually find copies of the Longridge book on EBay or Amazon, sometimes for a bargain price.

Thomas: I suspect that the book to which you are referring is Nepean Longridge’s “The Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships” which was illustrated by George Campbell, a British marine architect who drafted plans for restorations of HMS Victory, the Cutty Sark, and (I think after he moved to the USA), USS Constitution. Campbell’s drawings and plans are spectacular. You can usually find copies of the Longridge book on EBay or Amazon, sometimes for a bargain price.

Hi John--

Thanks for the reply. I checked back and actually the book I'm thinking of is
H.M.S. Victory : Building, Restoration & Repair. by Arthur Bugler

Here is the link to it in the Auckland Library:

Hi John--

Thanks for the reply. I checked back and actually the book I'm thinking of is
H.M.S. Victory : Building, Restoration & Repair. by Arthur Bugler

Here is the link to it in the Auckland Library:

we have a book review of this publication:

we have a book review of this publication:

Thanks Uwe! I was lucky to find it in the library and made good use of it when I was planning my cutaway work on the Soleil Royal--it gave me some idea of inner works and layout ideas for the hold and orlop decks.

I think it might be a bit of a collector's item because I've seen it on web sites for anywhere from 200 to 600 UK pounds!

Thanks Uwe! I was lucky to find it in the library and made good use of it when I was planning my cutaway work on the Soleil Royal--it gave me some idea of inner works and layout ideas for the hold and orlop decks.

I think it might be a bit of a collector's item because I've seen it on web sites for anywhere from 200 to 600 UK pounds!
Yes you are correct - My copy was also from a library - if someone want to buy - take every time a close look and check, that all the drawings are included - it is a two volume publication with one book and the box with the drawing set.....

Thanks again Uwe. I've located a copy in the Auckland library, and I've requested the loan of the set. Fingers crossed, they'll trust me with them.

Keep Well,
George
Hallo Georg alias @ShadyG
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Keep Well,
George
Hallo @ShadyG
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back