Hull assistance BB-55

Hello All,
My name is Mike and would like to ask if anyone knows how to obtain hull contour lines for USS North Carolina, BB-55?

Since I may have your attention for a few minutes may I give you a little back story of my project?
I joined the Navy in December of 1976 and was stationed in Rota Spain with VQ-2 Recon Squadron flying the A-3 Skywarrior and the P-3 Orion.
I was a jet mechanic and supported the A-3 while stationed aboard The USS Kennedy, USS Saratoga, USS Forrestal and
then back on to The Kennedy during the late 70's and really enjoyed my Navy days.
Fast forward to 2003 I moved to Wilmington NC just a few miles from The USS North Carolina.
Fast forward to recent times, I have joined 3D printing community. My desire is to build a model of BB-55. I stopped by the BB-55 gift store a few minutes ago and they don't have the details I'm looking for in the gift shop. I recently took several photos of the hull but realized the photos don't really help when putting into the 3D process. By the way BB-55 is in a Coffer dam and easy to see "most" of the hull.
Any help/advice is appreciated,
Mike

Did you already try to contact the memorial directly - maybe they can help or know, where such drawings are available

Address:
North Carolina Battleship Memorial
1 Battleship Road, Wilmington NC 28401
(910) 399-9100
Fax: (910) 251-5807
Email: leads@battleshipnc.com

Did you already try to contact the memorial directly - maybe they can help or know, where such drawings are available

Address:
North Carolina Battleship Memorial
1 Battleship Road, Wilmington NC 28401
(910) 399-9100
Fax: (910) 251-5807
Email: leads@battleshipnc.com

I didn't but I never thought about asking a historian...thanks for the info.

Hello All,
My name is Mike and would like to ask if anyone knows how to obtain hull contour lines for USS North Carolina, BB-55?

Since I may have your attention for a few minutes may I give you a little back story of my project?
I joined the Navy in December of 1976 and was stationed in Rota Spain with VQ-2 Recon Squadron flying the A-3 Skywarrior and the P-3 Orion.
I was a jet mechanic and supported the A-3 while stationed aboard The USS Kennedy, USS Saratoga, USS Forrestal and
then back on to The Kennedy during the late 70's and really enjoyed my Navy days.
Fast forward to 2003 I moved to Wilmington NC just a few miles from The USS North Carolina.
Fast forward to recent times, I have joined 3D printing community. My desire is to build a model of BB-55. I stopped by the BB-55 gift store a few minutes ago and they don't have the details I'm looking for in the gift shop. I recently took several photos of the hull but realized the photos don't really help when putting into the 3D process. By the way BB-55 is in a Coffer dam and easy to see "most" of the hull.
Mike
Hi Mike

I found bb-49 line plans. I know they are different class ships but maybe have similar hulls like Spurance and Ticonderoga classes. I hope it helps.

You can reach lots of other US navy ships booklet of general plans from https://maritime.org/doc/plans/

National archives have the original plans of BB-55 but archives closed due to Covid-19.
After archives will open for public. You can start from here :

Or you can buy from here :

Best Regards from Turkey

Last edited:
Hi Mike

I found bb-49 line plans. I know they are different class ships but maybe have similar hulls like Spurance and Ticonderoga classes. I hope it helps.

You can reach lots of other US navy ships booklet of plans from https://maritime.org/doc/plans/

National archives have the original plans of BB-55 but archives closed due to Covid-19.
After archives will open for public. You can start from here :

Or you can buy from here :

Best Regards from Turkey
Thank you very much

I Think The Floating Drydock will have what you are looking for. I have a 1/96 scale BB-56,USS Washington on one of my benches now. I am trying to get more info on what she looked like in 1942. All I can find is 1944 and 1945.

I Think The Floating Drydock will have what you are looking for. I have a 1/96 scale BB-56,USS Washington on one of my benches now. I am trying to get more info on what she looked like in 1942. All I can find is 1944 and 1945.
I second this. I have plans of BB-55 that I got from the Floating Dry Dock.
The website is absolutely ancient (by that I mean the design and function - the shop is active), but with some hunting there's a lot there, you may find what you need.

www.floatingdrydock.com

thank you

I appreciate the info

Thank you for all your suggestions. I received an email this morning, I removed the persons name in respect to their privacy.

Response to my request:

Sounds like you are interested in the ship's 1941 deck plans. We are working on providing those for sale so stay tuned!

Jane Smith
Curator
Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
curator@battleshipnc.com
Office (messages) 910-399-9114
https://battleshipnc.catalogaccess.com/

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

I do not have what you’re looking for, however, I and a group of fellow modelers were given a special tour of the USS North Carolina Recently and I have pictures of certain interior spaces, and some overhead shots of the ship from the highest point accessible on the ship, rendering some good detail looking down at the forward guns and superstructure. Also they do have quite a bit of information on the ship as when the ship was decommissioned it seems that everyone just walked off the ship and left everything including documentation( see attached photo). And the curator of the ship invited us to contact them any time should we require any information on the ship. The contact information you have already received Is accurate. I hope You will post some pictures of your build. I would love to see your progress.

Attachments

• FFEC1C8E-932A-43D2-B5F8-AD079ACF242A.jpeg
    FFEC1C8E-932A-43D2-B5F8-AD079ACF242A.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 18
  • B3388FDA-0BB7-4692-9601-5062DA9FD106.jpeg
    B3388FDA-0BB7-4692-9601-5062DA9FD106.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 870C974C-DA41-426F-90AC-76352B2A1BDB.jpeg
    870C974C-DA41-426F-90AC-76352B2A1BDB.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 18
I do not have what you’re looking for, however, I and a group of fellow modelers were given a special tour of the USS North Carolina Recently and I have pictures of certain interior spaces, and some overhead shots of the ship from the highest point accessible on the ship, rendering some good detail looking down at the forward guns and superstructure. Also they do have quite a bit of information on the ship as when the ship was decommissioned it seems that everyone just walked off the ship and left everything including documentation( see attached photo). And the curator of the ship invited us to contact them any time should we require any information on the ship. The contact information you have already received Is accurate. I hope You will post some pictures of your build. I would love to see your progress.
Awe...man, I would have to be pulled way from a treasure trove as in the photo. Do you live in the area? Over the years I have been to many airshows, walked through vintage airplanes, FAA A&P Technician and on and on. With funding cutbacks, Covid and other restrictions (dealing with aviation) it is time to move to ships. My uncle was a Sea Bee in '43 stationed in the Philippines for a time and his basement was loaded with scratch built boat models, oh what a joy to go over to his house.
Last year my wife and I stopped by the USS Lexington in Charleston to see the ship and was happy to see our sister squadron VQ-1 was having a reunion around the A-3. Thanks for the message

I had to fight the temptation to grab a few docs myself. It’s literally a time capsule and regular visitors on the other side of the bulkheads have no idea what’s on the other side. From stocked rope lockers, piles of kapok life vests, to paint cans and photos left on locker doors... If you can ever get in on a group tour, DO IT! Seriously contact them and they will be able to help you they are very eager to assist and promote the legacy of BB55. BTW, if you’re referring to Charleston, SC, then perhaps you mean the Yorktown berthed at Patriots Pointe. A great museum collection as well as the other ships on display there. As for my location, I live near both BB55 and CV10. My niche is aviation, I mostly build aircraft although I do enjoy ship building of the plastic kit variety. I’ve been working on a 1/400 Titanic build for over a year now. Lots of scratch building and PE.
My flight instructor back in the 70s was an SBD pilot off of the USS Hornet, watched Doolittle take off He had some great stories.
I’ve added a few more pics The middle picture the escape trunk from just below the highest point on the conning tower (under the radar disc) looking down to the lowest decks, or so I was told.

Attachments

• 9F097008-6E80-4A8C-88AE-78145E18FF46.jpeg
    9F097008-6E80-4A8C-88AE-78145E18FF46.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0B282543-8B87-4EEB-920C-E118679863B1.jpeg
    0B282543-8B87-4EEB-920C-E118679863B1.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 12
  • C132418E-8F3D-4058-AE33-6BA22328A809.jpeg
    C132418E-8F3D-4058-AE33-6BA22328A809.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 12
Hello All,

Mike
Hallo Mike alias @a3whale
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello All,

Mike
Hallo Mike alias @a3whale
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello All,

Mike
Hello Mike,
I have no info on BB-55 other than to say I visited it several years ago. I was in the US Navy for 6 years and part of that time was on the USS Arcadia, a destroyer tender. We spent one month in Jacksonville Florida doing wide array of equipment repairs on The Saratoga prior to her going into a shipyard in California, apparently to cut down on the overall cost of going into the ship yard. I'll have to check my photos, but I believe that was in late fall of 1967.
Good luck with your project and Happy Modeling.
Steven

Back