Hull fairing

Hey ya'll,

Im curious as to your methods of fairing the frames without scratching/gouging up the keel on models that do not have seperate keel pieces.
On previous attemps I made a mess of it to where I just stopped working on the model. I'd like to learn the right way or ways to do it.

Clair

Clair
Just came in from the shop having spent about 2 hours doing exactly that. I’d answer your question now but my hands are rather weary to type. I’m sure the boys will chime in on this subject. If not I’ll do my best later.

John

A couple of important tips:

1. Make sure you use a stiff/rigid device for sanding like the one shown in the post above. Never use a soft sanding stick for fairing frames.
2. Make sure your sanding device spans 2 - 3 frames at a time. You should never fair a single frame unless using an off-the-boat method.

Thank you gents, I guess the last time maybe I wasnt careful enough with the file. Of course back then I was working and busier than 4 monkeys tryin
to hump the same banana peal in zero gravity so I was always rushed. Im down to 3 monkeys now that Im retired :p

I hope the above entries have helped you. My items For fairing are the ones shown in the photo. The bulky one I use with an aggressive grit of about 60 or 80. This takes care of the majority of the sanding. Then with the smaller one I use a moderate grit in the 100 or higher range. If you are looking for adventure the Proxxon belt sander is a great choice. Although some people would give this thumbs down if used properly this baby is a God send. The key is to use a feather like touch. If you attack the model with this it will be doomsday. Instant saw dust.
Hope this helps.
John E9A4D017-0944-4AC8-822E-7C4C0A8377F6.jpeg

Thanks John, I'll be starting my fairing soon. One of the bulkheads on my ship has an exterior wall that just has planks printed. Im scratching up a new wall
from indiviual planks to replace it.

Clair

I hope the above entries have helped you. My items For fairing are the ones shown in the photo. The bulky one I use with an aggressive grit of about 60 or 80. This takes care of the majority of the sanding. Then with the smaller one I use a moderate grit in the 100 or higher range. If you are looking for adventure the Proxxon belt sander is a great choice. Although some people would give this thumbs down if used properly this baby is a God send. The key is to use a feather like touch. If you attack the model with this it will be doomsday. Instant saw dust.
Hope this helps.
John View attachment 163950

John,
It looks like a Proxxon device (?). Could you please identify it?
János

John,
János
Hi Janos
Yes it’s a mini belt sander by Proxxon. I had read opinions that it was too brutal a tool for delicate ship model work.
John,
János
Hi Janos
Yes it’s a mini belt sander by Proxxon. I had read some opinions that it was too brutal a tool for model work. I went ahead and bought it anyways. Yes it does have good power and would rip a model apart quickly if not used properly. BUT as I said with a light touch it is tremendous. It’s small size is easy to hold and manoeuvre.
John

As I've written elsewhere, this is a fantastic tool. Literally sits by my right hand. I use it almost daily (except when painting). Used judiciously -either hand held or fixed in holder, great for little jobs. BUT avoid using the tip just to take of a little bump when fairing - it will create a crater within a second

I've used a knock-off of the Fein Multi Max. With some medium coarse sandpaper on the triangular head it was easy to control and knocked the job out fast.

A word of caution for new model builders. Please be very careful using any type of power tool when sanding or shaping parts ON THE MODEL. The more experienced builders will make this look easy but trust me, it is not.... one slip and you could have a sunken ship!!

Back