Humidity

How does humidity affect wood ship models. I am moving from Minnesota to South Carolina. Is there anything I should be doing to protect my models and partial built projects? With kits still in box I plan on leaving them for a couple months just to be certain they are 'acclimated'.

I live in Florida and I have never had any problems with wood kits and humidity. I did have one plastic clipper ship that used regulat thread for te rigging and when it was cool and dry the rigging stood nice and snug. When the humidity got to it in the summer the rigging always sagged but when the ac went on and the house cooled down the rigging went back to normal. If you have to store models out of AC then keep them off the floor and not next to the ceiling like in a metal storage unit. The sun on the roof will melt plastic models and may hurt some items in a wood model kit. I bought a couple sheets of half inch styrofoam and slid them over the top of the stored stuff. Worked ok. I have seven wood model boats and I've never had any problem with them shrinking or expanding. I did have some roaches eat the decals off one boat but I got some Harris;s roach tablets and spread them all around the storage unit, in boxes and just threw some over the stored stuff. No more roaches. Hopethis helps. Pete

How does humidity affect wood ship models. I am moving from Minnesota to South Carolina. Is there anything I should be doing to protect my models and partial built projects? With kits still in box I plan on leaving them for a couple months just to be certain they are 'acclimated'.
Are you still in Burnsville? I grew up in Eagan and live now in Ramsey. Too bad you're moving away because we missed our opportunity to get together and talk shop! :D

Are you still in Burnsville? I grew up in Eagan and live now in Ramsey. Too bad you're moving away because we missed our opportunity to get together and talk shop! :D
Will be here until about June. Moved up here in '92 as part of the staff brought in to help open Mall of America-the original and not the one there now.

Will be here until about June. Moved up here in '92 as part of the staff brought in to help open Mall of America-the original and not the one there now.
We used to see the Met Stadium from our kitchen window as I grew up. Now we see the Mall of America. I was on the roof of the adjacent Thunderbird Hotel when they did the demolition of the old civic center building next door. It was awesome watching the wind carry the huge dust cloud from the blasting over the media members, covering them with dirt! ROTF We had a bird's eye view! Let me know if you want to get together and talk ship shop talk sometime. I'd like to show you the progress on my latest ship.

Back