I am building The Brig Niagara

I have been assembling the cannons that are made out of Britannia castings . The problem I am having is the paint will not stay on the castings I am using Model Ship Ways water base paints. I have applied their primer with no improvement. As I am working with assembling the cannons the paint just rubs off the edges and most anywhere that I handle them. What am I doing wrong?

NIAGARA1.JPG

NIAGARA4.JPG

NIAGARA2.JPG

NIAGARA3.JPG

sometimes you have to give the Britannia castings a good washing. first try a simple dishwashing soap if tht does not work then use Acetone or nail polish remover.
if that fails change the paint, get some all surface spray paint.

Thank you Dave, I knew I could get an answer from the knowledge that exist here.

I have tried a method that Dave Stevens suggested, I have washed them i Dawn and soaked them for a while, Then i fully rinsed them . Then used the Model Shipways primer and then their gun black. It appears to have helped. i will know better once I start rigging them. Thank You for your suggestion.

One more little suggestion: after the fittings are clean, handle them with clean forceps or with clean cotton gloves. Any oil from your skin can cause poor adhesion. BTW your Niagara is looking good. Fair winds!

Yes, that is a good idea. I use tweezers all the time, so I actually handle them very little, also before I work on my model, I always wash my hands. Thank You for your compliment, any critiques will be appreciated. How is your model coming?

This is the first batch of cannons that I painted using your method, I think they look pretty good so far. I have not attached them yet. Rigging them comes next. This is my fifth model ship that I am working on. Here is a picture of my first.

Niagara6.JPG

Niagara5.JPG

ConnCase.JPG

One more suggestion, if you discover the paint is still wearing off - use a clear finish. I would use acrylic on acrylic or enamel on enamel. You can adjust the gloss of the finish by using gloss, satin, flat coats - or even blend then if you want something in between two. That will address the wearing off issue, not the adhesion issue.

Have you tried blackening rather than painting. Bluejacket Shipcrafters sells a pewter blackener which they claim will work on Brittania metal. You also need a prep solution which they sell.

WDO , I thought of that too, but I was reluctant to try it, I may do it now Thank you for the idea.

Blackwer I saw how that finish looks and I wish i did it that way. It looks great!!!

I have been assembling the cannons that are made out of Britannia castings . The problem I am having is the paint will not stay on the castings I am using Model Ship Ways water base paints. I have applied their primer with no improvement. As I am working with assembling the cannons the paint just rubs off the edges and most anywhere that I handle them. What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 432252

View attachment 432253

View attachment 432254

View attachment 432255
Hi. Wash the parts with water and soap and uses very very fine steel wool (0000).

Try dropping them in a jar of ordinary vinegar. Let sit for three days. Then wash thoroughly in soapy water. Paint should adhere. If you suspect they are coated, then first wash with soapy water.

Back