I can use a little advice…

My wife has taken note of my new interest in model boat building and has expressed an interest in the Billings African Queen, complete with RC and motors. I have built, actually converted, the Bluejacket Maine Lobster Boat to a USCG 30’ Utility Boat and have started on the Model Shipways 3-boat Combo which takes a novice (me) through construction of a dory, sailing pram and a lobster smack. I have also built multiple stick & tissue model airplanes.

My question is based on reviewing the sparse online construction manual from Billings on building the African Queen. Would the skills gained once I complete the 3-boat combo be sufficient to tackle the African Queen?

Last edited:
Hi Gordon and welcome to the forum.

I would say that the models you have worked on are more than enough for you to be able to tackle the Billings model. Posting a build log would be helpful especially if you are wanting any advice

If you will not try, you will never know -> start the project,
and with a building log you will have a lot of friends here in the forum, which are happy to help and assist you

I would venture a solid yes to your question of skill gained. My caveat is to remember one piece and part at a time. Don’t get caught up in the whole at once. Focus on working each part. Your model will unfold nicely…one part at a time…

The English Magazine " Model Boats " September and October 2023 editions have a vey good building sequence article.

I have a plan to build one one day, using a staem engine except the engines are so expensive.
Good luck.

Gordon52:
Billings Boats on their Facebook page has a complete build in photos by an advanced modeler, Richard Simpson. I wish I had known about this tutorial, which is only in photographs, about 176 of them, before I started my build. The instructions from Billings included in the kit are deficient, to say the least, but with the aid of the photographs, they supplement the instructions as well as anyone could hope for. The IP below will get you right to the correct Billings page.

Go for it Gordon especially since the hull is preformed which eliminates the sometimes intimidating hull planking.
I have this kit on the shelf and maybe I'll dust it off and we can build "Together" ;)

Gordon, I have made only one intermediate level model and then decided I could not wait or didn’t have enough time to build up to a plank on frame scratch build…..foolhardy and stupid!……

However I started a build log, got a few followers, asked many questions and have received tons of advice, guidance and top tips from the experts on the SOS Forum. Like one of the earlier suggestions, dream of the finished model but focus on the detail in the small steps, progress will be slow but correct. The enjoyment is in the research and build process, not in getting to the end.

Gordon, I have made only one intermediate level model and then decided I could not wait or didn’t have enough time to build up to a plank on frame scratch build…..foolhardy and stupid!……

However I started a build log, got a few followers, asked many questions and have received tons of advice, guidance and top tips from the experts on the SOS Forum. Like one of the earlier suggestions, dream of the finished model but focus on the detail in the small steps, progress will be slow but correct. The enjoyment is in the research and build process, not in getting to the end.
I agree. You can always try, it's worth having fun and not getting nervous. In my opinion, the scale of the model is more important than experience, in the 1/36-1/48 scale it is easier to work with, but all mistakes are visible, and it takes longer to work with the model. The 1/72-1/85 scale is easier to build, but you have to struggle with small elements. It is difficult to determine the scale of experience, you can always ask for help !

Gordon52:
Billings Boats on their Facebook page has a complete build in photos by an advanced modeler, Richard Simpson. I wish I had known about this tutorial, which is only in photographs, about 176 of them, before I started my build. The instructions from Billings included in the kit are deficient, to say the least, but with the aid of the photographs, they supplement the instructions as well as anyone could hope for. The IP below will get you right to the correct Billings page.

I must be dim because I cannot access the link to Richard Simpson’s build photos. I can see the link on the Billing FB page but it will not open or lead me to the treasure trove of photos. Not to worry, though, I will find others.

The Billings African Queen was the second model I attempted. If I recall, it was a single planked model and mistakes on the outside could be hidden by paint. However, mistakes on the inside would be visible. My aim was to partially paint it and partially stain it. Sad to say, I did not complete it due to multiple failures and unforgivably messy planking. What I learned from that failure set me up for my 3rd model, which was massively more ambitious and was successfully completed. I would say, after 3 models you definitely have the skills needed so go for it.

My wife has taken note of my new interest in model boat building and has expressed an interest in the Billings African Queen, complete with RC and motors. I have built, actually converted, the Bluejacket Maine Lobster Boat to a USCG 30’ Utility Boat and have started on the Model Shipways 3-boat Combo which takes a novice (me) through construction of a dory, sailing pram and a lobster smack. I have also built multiple stick & tissue model airplanes.

My question is based on reviewing the sparse online construction manual from Billings on building the African Queen. Would the skills gained once I complete the 3-boat combo be sufficient to tackle the African Queen?
Good plan, jump in. The water is not cold, you CAN do it!

Amen to thar comment! You are spot on, the enjoyment IS in the building and all the minute challenges that present themselves along the way. Knowing what you are building (the history) is a large part of the process. The one big secret of this hobby is GO SLOW.

Hooyah, Neil. Your new link worked great. Thank you.
Gordon, you sound like your a Vet, if so welcome to our clan!

With fine folks here on the forum most anything is possible, except maybe outdoing Doc K's Wasa.

We are all here to watch, enjoy, learn and help anyone most anyway.

Please review the many posting on the home page if you need help.

The English Magazine " Model Boats " September and October 2023 editions have a vey good building sequence article.

I have a plan to build one one day, using a staem engine except the engines are so expensive.
Good luck.
I'm currently building, April 2024, the African Queen and with live steam, plant #4034 from Model Steam Miniatures.
And yes it is quite expensive, but it looks so good, turns the boat into a real operating model.
And mine will be RC.
You must do it, you only live once.

Back