I got a little something on the mail today

I am excited for you - you will enjoy this - I have not looked yet, but I assume that a build log is in order for you?

Eventually, yes, a build log, but I will continue to focus on the Trinidad, and slowly gather materials for the sovereign

Does anyone have any idea what scale are these plans?
I found this information:

Here we have the complete AMATI cast decoration set for their Sovereign of the Seas plans (1637 - AMATI part number 1831). I am sure the scale is 1:64, although the plans (which we haven't got) state 1:78 - but on measuring the hull and scaling it with the known proportions of the original vessel, it is more like 64th scale.

But this information I was reading also on some other pages - seems to be 1:64

Did you already see this topic? I am not sure, if this model was based on the Amati kit, but I am sure the photos will produce some appetite for your Sovereign of the Seas......

The problem is that the plans don't mention any scale. (or i've missed where it's mentioned, even if i did try to search properly)

It's also not possible to know exactly the measurement of all of it, including the bowsprit mast, i'm thinking it's 1:78, the final measure will be somewhere between 105-110 cm, and i've found models measuring 109 that claim to be 1:78

But i'm still not sure

The problem is that the plans don't mention any scale. (or i've missed where it's mentioned, even if i did try to search properly)

It's also not possible to know exactly the measurement of all of it, including the bowsprit mast, i'm thinking it's 1:78, the final measure will be somewhere between 105-110 cm, and i've found models measuring 109 that claim to be 1:78

But i'm still not sure
You should compare the length of the model with the real ship and not executed models, with maybe wrong scale information.....so compare with the real ship

Last edited:
What's the real ship length? I also find different information on that

What's the real ship length? I also find different information on that
The data on Threedecks are usually very accurate

also given are the sources of information, where you can check (if possible) the data

111.JPG

112.JPG

Take a look at this document (for download), which is describing very good in three or four sketches, the definition of the keel

THE STRUCTURES OF ENGLISH WOODEN SHIPS: WILLIAM SUTHERLAND'S SHIP, CIRCA 1710
by Trevor Kenchington

I have to check my other publications and books, if I can find something else, if this is not enough - but maybe you try to check with this first

Between the keel the scarph and Tha false keel, I still have no idea where to measure on the plans.

But that's not really important at the moment, to be honest I'm disappointed with the plans, it seems a lot has been changed to fit amati's pre-existing pieces, a good example are the railing all around the boat are standing on amati's round columns

All the vertical columns that are decorations in the hull are replaced with a stripe of wood with a simple groove

And the one bothering me the most, the plans have flat bullwarks, and not round like I've seen on every single model and picture of this ship

There are also no stairs from top decks to bottom decks, I mean those stairs in the middle of the deck going to the deck bellow, and I find it weird

Among other smaller things, for sure the result is still amazing, but it's starting to look too far from what it should be

I bought these plan also, and have taken note of the multiple inaccuracies. The shape of the stern needs a makeover. Most of the features are good, however. And they look damned pretty on the wall!

Last edited:
Seria possível disponibilizar os planos escaneados em PDF, ou como fotos de todos como imagens dos palnos?

Back