I need to vent☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

After lots of work on the sails for my model ( Amati Hunter Q- ship) I come to find the sheet for making sails is incorrect.
Kit has blueprints for each sail...But one of the sails is wrong when compared to top full scale drawing showing sails on the ship!! Sail drawing shows large flying jib and two other sails of exact same pattern, the jib and fore stay sail.
On top drawing the three sails are of different size??? So 1 out of 3 sails is junk.
No sail material left..not to mention the time I put into making a bad sail. How can a mistake like that not have been corrected by now?

Mistakes are frequently found in kits. Most of them are simply inaccuracies in rigging, others are from attempts to simplify the kit. That’s why kits get bashed so often. People discover the errors and usually fix them as they go based on their own research. The trouble is, new builders have sift through many other’s build logs to learn about them if they don’t catch them in their own.

Thanks for replying Darivs....I used the cloth supplied with kit.
I'll take it if your giving...so if kits have mistakes that never get corrected by manufacturer how do I determine which view of sails is correct? Maybe sail is good but not shown correctly on top drawing?

Thanks for replying Darivs....I used the cloth supplied with kit.
I'll take it if your giving...so if kits have mistakes that never get corrected by manufacturer how do I determine which view of sails is correct? Maybe sail is good but not shown correctly on top drawing?
Two good sources: forum members here and internet research. Also, books on rigging. Ask specific questions and someone here may know the answer.

The Amati sail cloth I have is an off white, very light tan in color and has tiny flecks of brown in it. It does not appear to be the same white cloth that pictures of the Hunter have on the web.

I will be home in two days and maybe can help some more then.

Last edited:
I tried to rotate but....?
This view shows jib, fore stay sail and flying jib ....3 different sail sizes

This is drawing showing sails...
The fore stay sail and jib are exactly the same?????
Instructions say make copy of sails to cut out.
My point is fore stay sail and jib are not the same size sail!
The above drawing is incorrect.

Good day,
I see... it is very sad that they made such mistakes and never corrected them...
I fully agree with https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/i-need-to-vent☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️.10036/post-248437
Do You consider to make some modernization of the kit?
I search internet for this model... when assembled, hull and deck fittings looks perfect!!!
but masts,spars,sail plan and rigging looks very simplified, like they are shrincked :))) and with wrongs in some details...
For me personaly, there are could be a few ways :
*It could be left without any changes, just assemble what kit offers...in such case it will be doesnt matter, which sails will be used ...3 differen sizes,or 2 differnt... there are still some mistakes presents in their sizes and shapes in both cases...
*rigging and sails could be altering according to H.Underhill book "Masting and rigging clipper ship" and converted into nice modern topsail schooner...
In such case model will looks more realistic and accurate in technical details...
Please consider all said above as just my private opinion about kit and nothing more than that...:)))
Ps
pictures - scans from the unarmed book , masts looks funny bended forward due to this
Screenshot_20220628-054301_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• hau masting and rigging clipper ship 44.pdf
    703 KB · Views: 42
  • hau masting and rigging clipper ship 45.pdf
    294.9 KB · Views: 29
  • hau masting and rigging clipper ship 46.pdf
    404.8 KB · Views: 25
  • hau masting and rigging clipper ship 48.pdf
    522 KB · Views: 24
  • hau masting and rigging clipper ship 49.pdf
    383.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I appreciate the responses....this being only my 2nd build and new to ship building I was hoping there would be a list of kit makers ranked by members. That might motivate them to improve there product if new buyers could see how deficient specific kits might be....I sure will think twice after this experience and will not be buying another Amati kit.

Sounds interesting...would a list of kits with no issues be shorter?
I guess just getting list of manufacturers ranked best to worst would help...at least it would help me.

Sounds interesting...would a list of kits with no issues be shorter?
I guess just getting list of manufacturers ranked best to worst would help...at least it would help me.
Kits vary as well as manufacturers. A list of errors for each individual kit would serve as an errata for any builders building those ships.

I like this idea, there's one caveat however, how do you weigh in the price/quality ratio?
The higher the price, the higher my expectations of the quality of the kit.
The reverse is, obviously, also true. When buying a 100 dollar kit for instance, one cannot expect a very accurate kit; a lot of research will be required and customizations will be commonplace, if one is inclined to build a more or less accurate model. Or just build the kit as is.
Still, having a list of kits, with a list of errata added, would be quite helpful.

Back