I thought this needed to be spread around

SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin
George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin:
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.
We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.
We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.
Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.
Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.
Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.
Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.
Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.
Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.
And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
George Carlin

George saw we were moving in the wrong direction as a society but I believe many of us now see this and are making the changes.

I remember a letter I sent to a group within our little community of model ship builders being concerned about the hate and name calling being spread. The reply I got from their director was why don't you tell someone who cares because we don't. I took that advice and told someone who in return told someone else and the word spread and then it began to grow into a world wide movement.

Yes, social media platforms are getting concerned about the on line spreading of hate, they are focused on the big picture and tiny little groups full of little people escape their attention but not the attention of the people. These name calling haters, the people and organizations that support them are being called out and their time is coming to an end.

This international forum stood its ground against an onslaught of hate directed at it, and continues to welcome everyone without judgement and it must be on the right path because they are still coming from across the world.

So tell someone who cares it was good advice and the payoff is more than you can imagine.

as George suggests it is all about quality and not quantity it is about the people every last one of us.

But do not forget all the other true words by Carlin, not only "hate"
True words about all our own behavior all over the day - by all of us
-> we should all be more self critical in our own life

Thanks for posting that Jim, I had never seen it even though I loved his stand up. Words to live by really, and it brought a smile to my face immediately after a household issue occured, then needed a quick fix. I was going to post a joke post about what I came up with but instead Id like to share today, so far, here. The house seemed to be getting warmer inside and yesterday while laying under my daughters Malibu I noticed the condenser fan was kinda loud but attributed that to the heat and humidity outside. Nope, turns out that motor took a poopy sometime today. I've ordered a replacement but what do we do until it comes friday.... The squirrel in my cage started chasing a suspended nut and I found a temporary fix. Yes, I disconnected the bad motors power in first. This isnt optimal but is getting us by. :)

0629201544_HDR.jpg

So now I am back out to lay under that Malibu some more, all new front suspension and brakes.... Oh the joy

Clair

There seems to be a great similarity between what George Carlin writes and Desiderata.......

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity* and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

By Max Ehrmann © 1927
Original text

* being without moisture; extremely dry; parched: arid land

Back