Ian storm damage

Hello All;
I am Stephen Roberts, a life long scale modeler from Fort Myers Beach, ground zero for Ian with 8 feet of salt water surge in my home shop. Aside from the more serious losses, I had a 1/4" scale scratch build of Elsie, two Benjamin Lathams, one for a kit-bash, and the 2nd for Elsie's needed hardware. Elsie made it through with only repairable scratches, she was complete to bulwarks and rails. Also in the soggy mess was an unbuilt kit for Midwest's Seguin and a Dumas utility runabout.
These two are the biggest problem; the boxes are useless, but all of the wood and most of the hardware are ( I hope) salvageable. The die cut wood is now moldy and the plans are soaked. I have Seguins plans on my hard drive but the plans and instructions were printed on thin bond paper and can't be saved. To build Seguin I'll need to find a copy of Kit 957 Instructions for Assembly booklet. I'm worried about the die cut sheets though; does anyone have a process in mind for cleaning up these wood parts. The salt in the surface fiber has continued to attract moisture which I believe will compromise gluing and finishing. They can be cleaned to where they look OK but that hidden enemy, salt, might still be lurking.
This subject is probably a good area for discussion and I wonder if any modelers out there have had some luck with their methods. Thanks for reading.
Stephen

Welcome aboard! Hopefully someone on the forum can assist you with your questions concerning the storm damage. Glad you came through OK; lot of damage from it along the beach front at New Smyrna Beach (where my Mom lives).

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello All;
I am Stephen Roberts, a life long scale modeler from Fort Myers Beach, ground zero for Ian with 8 feet of salt water surge in my home shop. Aside from the more serious losses, I had a 1/4" scale scratch build of Elsie, two Benjamin Lathams, one for a kit-bash, and the 2nd for Elsie's needed hardware. Elsie made it through with only repairable scratches, she was complete to bulwarks and rails. Also in the soggy mess was an unbuilt kit for Midwest's Seguin and a Dumas utility runabout.
These two are the biggest problem; the boxes are useless, but all of the wood and most of the hardware are ( I hope) salvageable. The die cut wood is now moldy and the plans are soaked. I have Seguins plans on my hard drive but the plans and instructions were printed on thin bond paper and can't be saved. To build Seguin I'll need to find a copy of Kit 957 Instructions for Assembly booklet. I'm worried about the die cut sheets though; does anyone have a process in mind for cleaning up these wood parts. The salt in the surface fiber has continued to attract moisture which I believe will compromise gluing and finishing. They can be cleaned to where they look OK but that hidden enemy, salt, might still be lurking.
This subject is probably a good area for discussion and I wonder if any modelers out there have had some luck with their methods. Thanks for reading.
Stephen
Hallo Stephen alias @18Lyman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Well, it's now late July and we have not had time for hobbies or very much recreation. We are all pitching in to rebuild the ground floor of our Florida home from storm damage (hurricane Ian was a direct hit). The rebuild process is a lot like Leo Goolden's early days rebuilding Tally Ho: enormous, messy and seemingly endless. Even so we are making enheartening progress. A new workshop and new beginning on Elsie and other models is in the near future. I was scratch making the hardware and fittings for the 1/4" scale Elsie, but now the damaged kits for Benjamin Latham will render hardware and fittings for Elsie. The drawings for the Model Shipways kits show matching or nearly matching winches, cranes, boom jaws, etc.
I did a news flyer to friends on the Elsie build. Next week or so I'll include the slides and comentary that went with the build. Comments will be welcome.

10.5_IMG_1121-b.jpg

12_IMG_1810.png

Hello All;
Stephen
Hallo Stephen alias @18Lyman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you all for the good wishes. It's been about a year since I've posted anything, we're so busy still recovering from the hurricane that I've been concentrating only on the repairs and upkeep. I said I would try to post something about a scratch build of Elsie in 1/4 inch scale, so here it goes, just as sent out to my private list.
I will have to edit our PowerPoint file to upload page by page. I'll sign back on this evening.

elsie-1- L.jpg

Last night I started my entries in the website's Monograph section. The entries have background on the Grand Banks fishing industry as well as modeling, designing and woodworking commentary. I welcome additional comment, of course. Cheers

Back