I'll Pay $1 a Foot for Rigging Thread!

I'm building the Bonhomme Richard cross section kit from Unicorn Models, but don't care for the thread and a few other things included with the kit. I've already spent $102 on stuff (better blocks, sheaves, belaying pins, brass rings and nails, new cannon barrels for the 9-pounders, copper tubing, striping tape, brass black, tools, etc.) in addition to the substantial price of the kit, and just hate to order $5-$9 spools of 20'+ long rigging thread, plus shipping cost, when I only need 1-2 feet of each. I only need it for rigging the guns. In theory, I need the following for :

Breeching ropes, per Boudriot's BH book (diameter = 1/2 bore):
1.5 feet of 1.44 mm diameter
2 feet of 1.26mm diameter
1.5 feet of 1.1mm diameter

(although other books show more like 1.0, 0.85 and 0.67 for this size of guns).

The diameters do not have to match exactly; the above dimensions are just what they should be in theory. But I really hate flimsy ropes for breeching ropes, so need something bigger than the included 0.53mm that the kit includes. And the only other rope I have is from my 1/98 scale HMS Victory cross section, so don't have a supply from other kits or projects.

As far as ropes for the gun tackles, Boudriot states the falls were 20, 22 and 25mm in diameter, or scale values of 0.42, 0.46 and 0.52mm. I have 0.37, 0.40 and 0.53, so should be okay there.

Anyhow, bottom line: For the 5' of breeching rope listed above, I'd be happy to send anyone who can supply them to me, sent in simple small envelope (55 cents postage - therefore USA modelers only) a PayPal payment of $5. That will save me probably at least $20, prevented a waste of extra rope, and you will have made a friend for life!

Somehow I can understand your point......

Just my two cents

Myself and a lot of other modelers are also buying additional material and tools for the works on a model kit.
But I am not counting it on top of the kit´s price - tools, blackening, copper or brass tubes or wire etc. you need in general also for the next model ship you will (hope so) work on. so all these are investments for your workshop, so you have them when you nee them also in future....
Also with the ropes you want to install - I guess and hope, that it will be not the last breeching rope you will install, or?

BTW: it is hard to see the difference of 0,05mm or even 0,1mm when the rope is installed on the gun

This is a bit off topic, but I was shocked recently by the cost of modeling supplies. I needed to buy 1' x' 3' x 1/32" sheets of plywood after running out of a supply that lasted a couple of years. My memory of past purchases was less than $10 per sheet. Current price on Amazon and several other web sites was $24 per sheet. After some on-line searching I found some at $15 including shipping which I jumped on. But that is a considerable increase in price over just a few years.

I don’t think I have ever built a kit only using the kit supplied pieces parts. The closest was one of Bob Hunt’s early kits (Kingfisher) from Lauck Street Shipyard. So I not only consider the cost of a kit when choosing one to build but take for granted I will spend another $100 for upscale parts. I think Vanguard presents the best kits currently for quality parts with some of the kits from ZHL a close second.

This is a bit off topic, but I was shocked recently by the cost of modeling supplies. I needed to buy 1' x' 3' x 1/32" sheets of plywood after running out of a supply that lasted a couple of years. My memory of past purchases was less than $10 per sheet. Current price on Amazon and several other web sites was $24 per sheet. After some on-line searching I found some at $15 including shipping which I jumped on. But that is a considerable increase in price over just a few years.
Welcome to the new year of inflation. Everything is more expensive.

Back