Imperial yacht Uvalen by Falconet in 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well, let's go back to the naval modelling. This time it's another imperial yacht by Falconet. The 42 ft boat Uvalen ['Oo-va-len] was built in 1862 in Kronshtadt for the prince Nikolay Aleksandrovich (died in 1865) and his brothers, one of them the future Emperor Alexander III. The yacht remained in service till 1878. Apparently she owes her name (which means 'clumsy person') to her hull's form.
My kit is a Plus version, all in pearwood and with some bronze-cast details instead of PE and resin ones.
The internal structure is realized in HDF. I like this material, it's hard like plywood, but much easier to work with.

DSC_6496.JPG

Bene, torniamo al modellismo navale. Questa volta è un altro yacht imperiale di Falconet. La barca di 42 piedi Uvalen ['Oo-va-len] fu costruita nel 1862 a Kronshtadt per il principe Nikolay Aleksandrovich (morto nel 1865) e i suoi fratelli, uno dei quali il futuro imperatore Alessandro III. Lo yacht rimase in servizio fino al 1878. A quanto pare deve il suo nome (che significa "persona goffa") alla forma del suo scafo.
Il mio kit è una versione Plus, tutta in legno di pero e con alcuni dettagli in fusione di bronzo al posto di quelli in PE e resina.
La struttura interna è realizzata in HDF. Mi piace questo materiale, è duro come il compensato, ma molto più facile da lavorare.

View attachment 286534
1643277610353.png
Buongiorno Walterone , domando: è questa?

Walterone,
I love your book nook! I am also building the Uvalen, although not the deluxe version (My meager build log is here). I also found the mislabeled parts, as well as several in which the actual parts differ from the instructions which I see from your photos above you also discovered. I found it useful to keep the extra height for the posts on the stern until later in the build because they are used for forming the hull planking, but your planking technique is probably more advanced than mine.

I will be watching your build closely so I can learn from your wisdom, rather than my own mistakes. I will be particularly interested to see if you have better success with the planking battens (that fit in the slots you've marked as "mind the gap") than I did.

I will follow your new building log with big interest - Falconet kit in 1:48 -> interesting :cool:

Hi Namabiiru, I've seen your build log and even commented it. Thank you for sharing the helpful information about the mislabeled details and details to be trimmed (though with C58 you did it wrong, alas).
Ah, well. I tried so many different ways to orient those parts, and I just could never find a way that worked.

For me, Uvalen is turning out to be more of a training vessel than a pleasure craft.... :rolleyes:

Ciao , si gli alberi, la giusta posizione e angolazione, scusami se mi permetto
Ho appena provato - la posizione degli alberi è determinata dalla costruzione, puoi inserirli nell'unico modo possibile, con l'angolazione giusta. Però è un po' troppo presto per gli alberi ;)

Back