In need of Help

I just received ZHL's Golden Black Pearl. I am a fairly experienced in building ship models, but I would appreciate some advice on this model, I am looking for a "dusty" dark grey paint for the hull and flat black for other areas. Are there any suggestions for the paint. I have absolutely no knowledge on how to rig the LED lights. Any suggestions for a tutorial on how to hook them up? I am 80 years old, so please use small words,
":

Hi Skip,
Welcome.
Have you seen this build log by a fellow member Jeff T
Maybe this might help.
Here is the link.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
We have several building logs of this model here in our forum, so I guess you will get all necessary information.

Hi Skipp, first of all welcome aboard.
Regarding the first question regarding the grey colour I directly had to think of the build log of the Silent Mary by Mellpapa. German grey he uses and uses it well.

Maybe it is useful. Success

Hi Skip firstly welcome aboard this is an excellent place to learn and share your experiences. I built the golden version last year and found it to be a very enjoyable experience, there's details of how I wired the LEDs in my log.

I was going to paint the hull black but the walnut planks looked to good to cover up.
Looking forward to seeing your build progress, any questions I'll try to help.

I just received ZHL's Golden Black Pearl. I am a fairly experienced in building ship models, but I would appreciate some advice on this model, I am looking for a "dusty" dark grey paint for the hull and flat black for other areas. Are there any suggestions for the paint. I have absolutely no knowledge on how to rig the LED lights. Any suggestions for a tutorial on how to hook them up? I am 80 years old, so please use small words,
":
Q;uestion, Do I use the same 0,5 mm walnut planks for the decks and the hull?

Yes, if it's going to be painted that's OK but I regretted not replacing mine with lighter coloured planks.
First, thanks to all who replied to my appeal for help. The answers helped. Second, patience paid off. I assembled the ships boat without breaking a single piece.

Have fun with your build. Looking forward to seeing the end results. I don't have any experience with 12v LEDs on models; did one ship with 5v LEDS and the other with 3v. Power supplies were a 9v battery for the first (stepped down to deliver 5v and a 3v button cell for the other. There are plenty of options out there depending on if you want to go batteries or run off a transformer plugged into the wall. Take a look at the EvanDesigns website for ideas; the Radio Shack website may also be useful.

If you're using the LEDs from the kit they can be run off a 3 volt button cell, the button cell's last a long time as the LEDs don't use much power. If you want to use a 12 volt power supply a resistor has to be added to the LED. You can google how to wire LEDs, you enter how many LEDs, the voltage of the LEDs and the input voltage then it shows you how to wire up the LEDs and what resistors to use.
It's a lot easier to drill holes in the frames for the wires and LEDs before gluing them together.
On my Black Pearl I purchased a pack of 100 flickering yellow LEDs from eBay made a test rig and ran them continuously for a few weeks to make sure the circuit was OK. See my build log for some photos.

If you're using the LEDs from the kit they can be run off a 3 volt button cell, the button cell's last a long time as the LEDs don't use much power. If you want to use a 12 volt power supply a resistor has to be added to the LED. You can google how to wire LEDs, you enter how many LEDs, the voltage of the LEDs and the input voltage then it shows you how to wire up the LEDs and what resistors to use.
It's a lot easier to drill holes in the frames for the wires and LEDs before gluing them together.
On my Black Pearl I purchased a pack of 100 flickering yellow LEDs from eBay made a test rig and ran them continuously for a few weeks to make sure the circuit was OK. See my build log for some photos.
Thanks for the help. I searched Amazon and found a bunch of different power sources. They varied from 3V to 12CV lights. I also found some mm Yellow flicker bulbs as well. I tested some on my model and my wife said they were perfect.

From what I've read (granted, I've not read that many books on it), that is one of the great controversies of model ship building. :) So it's definitely not a rookie question. I'm anxious to see what our SME's have to say on here. :).

Is there a way to remove CA glue from your fingers other than chewing is off? My teeth are wearing away.

You can use Acetone or if you get your glue from a local hobby shop, they could probably have some "uncure" or "debonder".
The other option would be an xacto knife, but I would be careful of that one. It makes it really hard to work on our ships. :D

Jeff

Back