Info on building a 1:35 scale diorama of a WW II land combat scene from a book

Hello SOS!

My name is Bill and I want to build a diorama of a WW II land combat scene (German vs. Soviet) as described in detail, as in from the text and maps from a book, preferably using the 1:35 scale, as I have already purchased a lot of infantry and equipment models in that scale.

The exact scenes that I initially have (or had) in mind are from the book "Black Edelweiss", by Johann Voss, and were located in what is now the far northern and western section of Russia (then Finland 1942-1944), near or around Lake Sennozero, on pages 74-76 and 117-119 of "Black Edelweiss". The map on page 74 is roughly topographical, showing equipment (e.g., mortar, machine guns, howitzers) and locations (e.g., command post, field kitchen) in an area about 500 meters by 300 meters, and showing several small hills of varying heights (15m, 30m, 40m, etc).

I've attached the two maps with which I've been working.

Lake Sennozero comes up pretty easily on Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/search/Lake+Sennozero/@66.1163727,31.4935614,10.01z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).

Lake Motti appears to be the lower of the two lakes shown here (https://www.google.com/maps/@66.0065991,32.0401044,13.13z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).

Working from the map showing Lake Motti, considering a length of 100m, that is 10000cm, and dividing by 35 is about 285cm, and for a hill of height 15m, that equals 1500 cm, and then dividing by 35, that works out to about 42.86cm. So, as far as I can tell, if I really want to build a scene like this in 1:35 scale, the final product will take up a good portion of my garage or basement, and thus is a much larger project than I had in mind.

My first question is, might I be mistaken in how I'm extrapolating from the map and applying the 1:35 scale?

Many years ago I remember a friend pointing out that WW II combat often took place on a scale that is at first a little hard to grasp mentally, as forces were often shooting at each other over distances of a kilometer or more. Given that, I have a feeling the answer to the above question is "No", although I'm still hopeful that I'm missing something.

More broadly, does anyone have any suggestions of detailed descriptions of actual combat scenes from books or interviews that are much more compact for the purposes of re-creating with a diorama?

Thank you for reading!

Bill

Motti_Lake.jpg

Sennozero_Lake.jpg

Hello SOS!

My name is Bill and I want to build a diorama of a WW II land combat scene (German vs. Soviet) as described in detail, as in from the text and maps from a book, preferably using the 1:35 scale, as I have already purchased a lot of infantry and equipment models in that scale.

The exact scenes that I initially have (or had) in mind are from the book "Black Edelweiss", by Johann Voss, and were located in what is now the far northern and western section of Russia (then Finland 1942-1944), near or around Lake Sennozero, on pages 74-76 and 117-119 of "Black Edelweiss". The map on page 74 is roughly topographical, showing equipment (e.g., mortar, machine guns, howitzers) and locations (e.g., command post, field kitchen) in an area about 500 meters by 300 meters, and showing several small hills of varying heights (15m, 30m, 40m, etc).

Lake Sennozero comes up pretty easily on Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/search/Lake+Sennozero/@66.1163727,31.4935614,10.01z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).

Lake Motti appears to be the lower of the two lakes shown here (https://www.google.com/maps/@66.0065991,32.0401044,13.13z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).

Working from the map showing Lake Motti, considering a length of 100m, that is 10000cm, and dividing by 35 is about 285cm, and for a hill of height 15m, that equals 1500 cm, and then dividing by 35, that works out to about 42.86cm. So, as far as I can tell, if I really want to build a scene like this in 1:35 scale, the final product will take up a good portion of my garage or basement, and thus is a much larger project than I had in mind.

My first question is, might I be mistaken in how I'm extrapolating from the map and applying the 1:35 scale?

Many years ago I remember a friend pointing out that WW II combat often took place on a scale that is at first a little hard to grasp mentally, as forces were often shooting at each other over distances of a kilometer or more. Given that, I have a feeling the answer to the above question is "No", although I'm still hopeful that I'm missing something.

More broadly, does anyone have any suggestions of detailed descriptions of actual combat scenes from books or interviews that are much more compact for the purposes of re-creating with a diorama?

Thank you for reading!

Bill
Hallo @paladin343
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @paladin343
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Hi Uwek! Thank you both for the kind birthday wishes and for moving my post/thread to a more appropriate forum.

I still have ambitions of some day making a diorama as large as what is mentioned in my original post, but to build some much-needed experience I am focusing on smaller projects.

--Bill

Hello SOS!

Books about WW II can offer more compact descriptions of battles. For example, "Operation Barbarossa" and "Stalingrad" might contain interesting scenes. I was also looking for psychology assignment help and used materials from these books. Well, not exactly me, to be honest. The guys from https://essays.edubirdie.com/psychology-assignment-help detailed the moral decline and its impact on the mental state of soldiers and commanders. These books describe the emotional and psychological suffering experienced by soldiers during this bloody struggle.

Thank you for reading!

Bill

View attachment 452518

View attachment 452519

Hi, that's an interesting project! How's it going? Maybe you should consider choosing more fragmented moments, specific attacks or battle scenes that take up less space. It might be better than scaling the entire 500x300 m

Last edited:
Back