Info

Looking for Great Lakes Freighter kits
THere is a kit from DUMAS in scale 1:96 existing (also possible to make in RC)
thumb-tues boat.jpg

a card board model of the Edward Fitzgerald from Atlantis
81t6vzczJwL._AC_SL1383_.jpg

several resin kits in 1:700 and 1:35o by Iron Shipwright makes a 1:700 scale (John Ericsson whale-back ore carrier and Edward Fitzgerald)
Edmund01.jpg

and it seems, that in the small scale several other manufacturer are offering resin kits

What period are you looking for? Sail or steam? I am pretty sure for sail you'd have to scratch build. Sylvan make a very nice resin plastic N scale St. Lawrence canaller. My brother built it a number of years ago. It was a tricky build, but I have it now on display in my home and it brings back great memories of seeing the last of these coal powered ships in the Welland Ship Canal in the 60s.

They can be bought with n optional mid section insert to extend the length.

Last edited:
View attachment 211224

View attachment 211225

several resin kits in 1:700 and 1:35o by Iron Shipwright makes a 1:700 scale (John Ericsson whale-back ore carrier and Edward Fitzgerald)
View attachment 211233

and it seems, that in the small scale several other manufacturer are offering resin kits
View attachment 211224

View attachment 211225

View attachment 211233

Thanks guys, I seen the kits you mentioned. I want to go bigger scale, from what I seen available I might have to build from scratch. I really don’t want to go that route. There is a company in OH Bearco but no phone number and haven’t responded by email yet

Your best bet is scratch build. I'm 90% finished my first (Edmund Fitzgerald), now working on Algoma Equinox.

Finding the proper fittings for modern Great Lakes freighters is next to impossible. Such a niche interest.

Back