Information on Steam Launches

ir3

I have a Monahan Heron Steam Plant that I would like to install in a nice Edwardian or Victorian Steam Launch. It would have to be of a size to accommodate the steam plant. I would prefer a kit or completed model as a scratch build would not be good for me at this time.

Any suggestions for sourcing a kit would be appreciated. Internet searches did not show much.

Thanks in advance,

Iran Ausley

I have never come across a true scale model kit for a steam launch - what is available on the market all seem to be "semi-scale".

A good guide to what actual (existing and some restored) steam boats look like is here: https://steamboat.org.uk/register.php

To my eye the nicest steam launch still existing is "Osborne" which was Queen Victoria's launch when she stayed at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. I built a model at 1/12 scale and will post a photo of it in a while. In my opinion the design offers a chunky hull that should accommodate a steam plant (they tend to be quite heavy) while allowing the boiler and engine to be in the open which is much more practical from an operational point of view. This website has several photos and plans can be found on the web but I have lost the link. I may be able to send you a copy of the plans if you are interested (email).

Years ago I built a home-designed live-steam launch that was very similar to the actual launch named "Bat". This is a model of that boat: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21325/lot/391/

Last edited:
Thanks, Heinrich, for the info on the Saito Steam Plants. I plan on using the Monahan Heron Steam Plant for the power source. Well done on the Osborne, Chris. I'm not prepared to do a scratch build at this time. Too many other projects piling up. I found a kit for an open Steam Launch put out by Tippecanoe Boats. It's called the Stormy45. It is good size, and the Heron Steam Plant will look great in it.

Take care,

Iran

I have a Monahan Heron Steam Plant that I would like to install in a nice Edwardian or Victorian Steam Launch. It would have to be of a size to accommodate the steam plant. I would prefer a kit or completed model as a scratch build would not be good for me at this time.

Any suggestions for sourcing a kit would be appreciated. Internet searches did not show much.

Thanks in advance,

Iran Ausley
Hallo Iran alias @ir3
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back