Inglorious adventures of my Pegasus [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just wanted to share a small story of my first model - Amati's Pegasus kit.
Being my first one, I assembled it pretty much to the kit's instructions without much changes or improvements. Just replaced the ugly casted lifeboat with two bought and assembled separately.
Here are some photos, as you can see absolutely nothing special

IMGP2441.jpgIMGP2442.jpgIMGP2445.jpgIMGP2448.jpgIMGP2452.JPGIMGP2455.JPGIMGP2456.JPG

Unfortunately it didn't go smooth. Either I choose a wrong ropes material for attaching the model or UPS guys didn't bother much about the box, maybe both, but the ropes snapped somewhere mid-way. It's my fault, I know. Yes, delivery guys may throw the box or even dance on it, but you should expect this and take measures and not hope for for luck.

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

After enormous stress I managed to figure the issue with insuarance company. Honestly, I think that the fact that they paid is simply due to luck on my side. Because they took the box back from the buyer for inspection and... lost it. Then they found it. I said them send it back to me.... And they lost it again, searched for it for about 2 weeks and didnt find. So basically they paid me not for damage, but for a shipment being lost.
After I got the money, about a month later the box was suddenly found by someone I even don't know where and was delivered to me.

I started to restore it. Threw away entire masting and rigging. Made completely new cannon carriages, port lids, anchors, bought new cannons. Replaced rudder hinges, tinted the deadeyes. Basically I corrected, replaced and improved most of the things I could.
For sure, the hull planking remains incorrect, I can't do anything about it. I could've replanked the decks in a correct way, install correct gratings, but decided that this would be too much for this half-project.

IMG_20200703_135213.jpgIMG_20200724_211831.jpgIMG_20200831_105252.jpgIMG_20201023_115543.jpgIMG_20201027_180022.jpg

Oleg, most probably the best pegasus srrgal build out there.
Is the purchaser still interested in it?

Wow - she was looking like real ships after the worst storm ever.....
After the restoration - we already can see your big talent in all the details - I can fully underline the words by Maarten

Unfortunately it didn't go smooth. Either I choose a wrong ropes material for attaching the model or UPS guys didn't bother much about the box, maybe both, but the ropes snapped somewhere mid-way. It's my fault, I know. Yes, delivery guys may throw the box or even dance on it, but you should expect this and take measures and not hope for for luck.

View attachment 270967View attachment 270968View attachment 270969
That is terrible- looks like a genuine ship wreck. Your approach to restoring such a tangle is applauded.

In the past I have successfully sent crated models using a company, BAX Global, recommended to me by an art gallery. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business. Recently I mailed a carefully packed small model via Fed Ex and they managed to give the box such rough handling the model was dislodged form the pedestals, fortunately with no harm to the model. If anyone on the Forum has recommendations for shipping companies they have used successfully I, and I am sure others, would appreciate the information. P.S. Fragile, This Side Up, Careful Handling, and other such stickers are useless as they are not read by the robotic handling equipment.

I Shipped the Caldercraft Agammenon to my sister in the UK. Wooden crating was prohibitively expensive so I made by usual perspex case, with a wooden base but leaving of the top off. Placed boat inside, filled with polystyrene "peanuts" and then fitted the top. Found a thick carboard packing box a few cms. bigger in all directions and filled the space between with more "peanuts". Shipped by ordinary post (20+kilo) and it arrived 3 weeks later- boat intact except one of the anchors had slipped off the deck. O yes, every side of the perspex was smashed !!!. My sister said it deserved a better display case and had one made.

Attachments

• Aggie.JPG
    Aggie.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 29
Yes, the tin is full.I was also insanely worried when I sent the models to the customer.But thank God everything went well.The truth was sent by a transport company.And he asked that the box be closed with more pallets.I can't imagine what could have been done with the box to have such damage.I've already given you advice at the Shipyard.Just bad luck.Good luck in recovery.

Very sad indeed. At the start of this thread you were much too modest. Your talent showed and was proven in your restoration. I had a similar wreck sending my Constellation to a buddy. Luckily he had a friend who did a beautiful job restoring her. I'm glad your model had a happy ending.

I just recently saw this; and, it's regrettable concerning your experience. One point of advice that I've 'tried' to inform builders not to do -which is NEVER place large or bold letters on large packages with the word "Fragile" or "Handle With Care". Workers (regardless of company/shipping) take offence to that and will toss or mishandle the package. I've been shipping ship models all over the world for 40 years and only had two bad experiences after removing those words from my packages.

Prior to that, only a few models were damaged because of my experimenting with packaging.

During the those 40 years, I found an inexpensive way of shipping where neither display case or model was damaged. It took a bit of engineering; however, I enjoy the fact that reinforced foamcore board cut shipping costs by 60% percent. Much of the shipping is based on weight. Foamcore is light (and most ship models are light as well). The most recent model I shipped (HMS Prince w/display case) cost a little over $100 as a Two-Day Priority package. It arrived to my client completely intact -as have my other models to recent clients.

Your model was a nice model; and it's good you received another opportunity to bring it to another level.

DSCN1720 (2).jpg

DSCN1740 (2).jpg

DSCN1743 (2).jpg

DSCN1744 (2).jpg

DSCN1752 (2).jpg

HMS Prince -New Home.jpg

I just recently saw this; and, it's regrettable concerning your experience. One point of advice that I've 'tried' to inform builders not to do -which is NEVER place large or bold letters on large packages with the word "Fragile" or "Handle With Care". Workers (regardless of company/shipping) take offence to that and will toss or mishandle the package. I've been shipping ship models all over the world for 40 years and only had two bad experiences after removing those words from my packages.

Prior to that, only a few models were damaged because of my experimenting with packaging.

During the those 40 years, I found an inexpensive way of shipping where neither display case or model was damaged. It took a bit of engineering; however, I enjoy the fact that reinforced foamcore board cut shipping costs by 60% percent. Much of the shipping is based on weight. Foamcore is light (and most ship models are light as well). The most recent model I shipped (HMS Prince w/display case) cost a little over $100 as a Two-Day Priority package. It arrived to my client completely intact -as have my other models to recent clients.

Your model was a nice model; and it's good you received another opportunity to bring it to another level.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Don't know, I would be too afraid that it's too easy to break through the foam walls, but it's true, it's much lighter

This is the current condition of the model. All standing rigging is done.
The big dilemma was how to do it - accordingly to the kit instructions or to the Swan books. I don't know why but Amati complicated a lot the rigging and added a lot of stuff that is not typical to sloops and is not present on the books' plans. Usually kit manufacturers do the oppoiste - simplify as much as possible, but why in this case they added extra stays and backstays etc, I don't know.
In any case, to do the rigging as per the books, I would have to remove the channels and chain plates and redo everything entirely and I had absolutely no desire to do that, especially that it would leave holes in the hull from the old chain plates. So I just omitted those ropes from Amati plans that were not present on the books' plans and whose absense would have no adverse effect on the hull and its fittings.

IMG_20211224_093541.jpgIMG_20211224_093557.jpgIMG_20211224_093610.jpg

The model is complete. I didn't put into it as much details as I had put into my Richard or I'm putting now into William, because at the end this was just a side project. Now nothing will distract me from William

IMG_1609.jpgIMG_1613.jpgIMG_1615.jpgIMG_1616.jpgIMG_1618.jpgIMG_1619.jpgIMG_1620.jpgIMG_1621.jpgIMG_1623.jpgIMG_1624.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1626.jpgIMG_1627.jpgIMG_1629.jpgIMG_1630.jpg

Back